MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Looks like something from the 70s.

It looks like a single-cab diesel version of Amtrak's new Sprinter electric: http://www.railwaygazette.com/uploa...ens-citiessprinter-sacramento-davidlustig.jpg. Or a boxier version of the NJ Transit ALP-46 electric/ALP-45DP dual-mode: http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv140/NJTArrow2/CSC_0875.jpg.

From an actual engineering standpoint this is the bleeding-edge for aerodynamics, so unfortunately just about everything new coming out is going to look like a fugly tractor-trailer cube with rounded cab. Have to remember...Amtrak's attractive and very innovative GE Genesis diesels first came out in 1992, over 2 decades ago. And the relatively badass-looking Bombardier HHP-8's turned out to be irredeemable pieces of crap whose actual aerodynamic performance was so bad it made them violently rock back and forth at full speed.

So...yeah. No one will care that it got beaten with the ugly stick if it just damn works.

Last edited:

What a shame that locomotive design is such a new and poorly understood field.

Well, I hope she's funny...

I just dont understand how MPI churned out the gorgeous MPXpress, and then came up with this. I guess if the lack of a raked roofline and bullnose really makes that much of an aerodynamic difference its worth it, but jesus christ, these things make an F40 look good.

Edit: I will say however, its does look better than Amtrak's Strongbad loco. I can't not laugh when I look at it.

Well, I hope she's funny...

I just dont understand how MPI churned out the gorgeous MPXpress, and then came up with this. I guess if the lack of a raked roofline and bullnose really makes that much of an aerodynamic difference its worth it, but jesus christ, these things make an F40 look good.

Edit: I will say however, its does look better than Amtrak's Strongbad loco. I can't not laugh when I look at it.

I can't believe we didn't just up and order an MPXpress. The newest versions of the MP36 are Tier 2 emissions compliant and MPI is converting Metra's first-generation fleet of them to the latest flavor for improved fuel/emissions efficiency. There's almost 130 of them in-service on 10 different CR operators, with GO Transit having 57 of the beefier 4000 HP MP40 variant. They are pretty much the only new make that's flying off the shelves today.

Going by Wikipedia's list of all North American commuter rail and intercity operators currently operating, close to 95% of the power uses one of these:
-- F40PH's and refreshes (mid-70's to early-90's).
-- GP40-2's and refreshes (1970 to late-80', including the T's Frankenstein-rebuild GP40MC's)
-- F59PH's and refreshes (circa 1990-2000, successor to the F40)
-- GE Genesis (circa 1992-2004...Amtrak's ubiquitous diesels)
-- MPXPress (mid-00's-present)

The only significant outliers are: Metro North's BL20GH's, which are wimpy and can't stay out of the shop; Long Island RR's DE30AC's and DM30AC dual modes, which are the biggest lemons anyone's purchased in the last 15 years and have a nasty habit of catching on fire; and NJ Transit's PL42AC's, which are OK but Frankenstein FRA-compliant adaptations of some Euro make. Pretty much all upstart CR's coming online soon that have made purchases are either buying MPXpress, secondhand old reliables from the above list, or are trying their luck with Frankenstein DMU's.

And we just had to freaking order something nobody's tried before. Because they couldn't wait for MPI to do incrementally improve their flagship to Tier 3 emissions, so they paid MPI a farkton of money to design another Frankenstein. And by the time this order is fulfilled in '15 and they've taken their lumps as the guinea pig for unproven tech, MPI will have probably rolled out a Tier 3 MPxx that takes the best parts of this unproven design and folds it into their mass-market cash cow. Even if these things prove to be winners, it is quite likely these 40 MBCR units will be the only ones ever produced. Because why would second buyers be interested if there's just going to be a mainstream MPX variant that does exactly the same thing in 18 months?

BTW...the F125 (next-generation of the F40/59) is going to be the first Tier 4 emissions loco, the first FRA compliant diesel that can do 125 MPH, and can pull 12 freaking cars at that max speed. Also much more attractive-looking: http://www.emdiesels.com/emdweb/products/pdf/2-sidersENG_LTR_proof_rev5RevE.pdf. LA Metrolink's got the first of those coming in 2015...EMD is hoping if it's got a winner that they can competitive-bid 'em for Amtrak's Genesis-replacement order.

We interrupt this program to bring you a whole bunch of station construction pictures from last week.

Assembly:

Orient Heights:

Yawkey:

My only thoughts on the locomotive, other than the fact that it looks like its from the 70s, is that I'm clearly not qualified to judge vehicle aesthetics, because I've always thought that the famously ugly A-10s looked very nice.

PS, Orient Heights is looking very nice; never had a reason to get off there, but that was an atrocious looking stop before.

PS, Orient Heights is looking very nice; never had a reason to get off there, but that was an atrocious looking stop before.

I live a hundred yards from the Heights station. The original station was effectively an abandoned building for the last 20 years of its operational life. Though the replacement is much needed, and the materials of decent quality, there are elements of the design that are ill-conceived, from both a functional and urbanistic standpoint.

I can only assume that the enormous place plates on those columns at Orient Heights are purely aesthetic.
What that aesthetic is, I haven't a clue!

Could you elaborate?

I'd be happy to put some real thoughts down at some point, Paul, but I'm under the gun at the office at the moment.

It all comes down to the way the station is accessed, directionally, and by what means (pedestrian, bus, or private vehicle, parked in the T's revenue lot). A more thoughtful design could have generated better results, in particular, for pedestrians. I presented one such design alternative at one of the many community meetings, but this scheme was already a done deal...

I'd be happy to put some real thoughts down at some point, Paul, but I'm under the gun at the office at the moment.

It all comes down to the way the station is accessed, directionally, and by what means (pedestrian, bus, or private vehicle, parked in the T's revenue lot). A more thoughtful design could have generated better results, in particular, for pedestrians. I presented one such design alternative at one of the many community meetings, but this scheme was already a done deal...

If its using the same access routes as the old station, then I know what you mean. I go to the heights all the time in the summer for royal roast beef, shays beach and milanos fresh pasta. Walking to, from, and in the general area of the station is surprisingly terrible.

NS%209791%20-%20MPEX%202000-2.jpg

It looks a little better in the daylight, but is still a turd. I'm hoping it will be a bit more graceful in the production units. If you look at the roofline, the sheet metal is terribly aligned in some places, and that door on the side not only appears to be from home depot, but its bent. Same with that grill on the side of the cab that sticks out like a sore thumb, it looks like it was taken off of a tractor or somethiing.

That almost looks like a completely different train; I'd say the differences are like night and day, but that'd be too cliche. The angle that the first shot was taken from made the slope of the nose look much gradual and streamlined (or, I suppose, the angle from the second makes it look much more boxy, take your pick). Of course, you can barely make out that angular top at all in the nighttime photo.

Again, speaking as a layman, I actually like this quite a bit. Its so ugly that its charming. And it looks like it'll turn into Optimus Prime at any second.

People will learn/accept soon enough that this is what a fast, powerful (fuel burning) locomotive is "supposed" to look like. If the paint is glossy and the train runs on time, the look will look "fast enough".

They're not much worse than Amtrak's new electrics. If you want anything that looks better, you have to go electric and better integrate it with light HSR coaches.

'till then, I'll settle for anything that's punctual and has glossy paint (new ones will be less sooty, won't they ;-)

I did a search, but didn't come up with anything, so this seemed like the next most natural place:

MBTA seeks bids for $6M Hingham project

The MBTA has issued a bid to contractors for construction of a $6.28 million Intermodal Center to be built as the centerpiece of a new 1.2 million square-foot Hingham, Mass. Shipyard mixed-use community.

State transportation officials said the new facility will allow commuters to move between several transit services including bus Route 220 and the Commuter Boat taking passengers to Boston’s Rowes Wharf and the South Shore. The project calls for construction of a 8,400-square-foot facility at 45 Shipyard Drive. It also includes site improvements and utility work.

Today, the existing site occupies a portion of the historical Hingham Shipyard. In recent years, the surrounding properties have been redeveloped into The Launch at Hingham Shipyard, which features residences, office, retail, entertainment, and recreational spaces. The Intermodal Center will be located to the west of existing Building 45 and will replace outdated offices and ticket sales function at that site.

The design of the building’s major public spaces, located within a two-story concourse, emphasizes its openness to the site, through the use of large open glazed areas with views to outdoor circulation areas, ferry and bus service, according to T documents. The transparency along the building’s major pedestrian circulation route eliminates any potentially dark or secluded areas, and is intended to create a safe environment at any time of the day, the T said. As an added waterfront feature, a public outdoor seating area will be located immediately outside the north concourse exit/entrance vestibule, providing an enjoyable atmosphere for awaiting the ferry.

One of building’s features will be a green roof that the T said will correct storm water issues while improving the environment and extending the life of the roof to more than 40 years.

Boston Business Journal

Does this mean the MBTA will stop trying to kill off the commuter boats every time they reach a funding crisis?

Back