MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Stellar -- by how much?

These one size fits all with no margin requirements created by unelected Federal Bureaucrats are a large part of why a a large amd growing segment of the population now Hates the Federal Government

Yeah that Pesky Federal Government™ ensuring that people in wheelchairs don't go barreling off the platform into the train pit...

These one size fits all with no margin requirements created by unelected Federal Bureaucrats are a large part of why a a large amd growing segment of the population now Hates the Federal Government

Its not one-size-fits all with no tolerance - Both the Mass AAB and the Federal ADA Access Guidelines allow a range from 0-2%.

Stellar -- by how much?

Yeah, no. If only we had the same for ADA Section 508 compliance instead of the vague, wishy-washy standards we have now that are horrible to follow - and even if one does follow them as to the best as one can, it still doesn't actually mean that a site will work in a screen reader or other device to help those who are handicapped.

I would love to have something as set in stone as guidles like this - really hard to mess up wheel chair accessibility when it is all spelled out right there for you. Not really hard to follow, either. Unless you are saying things in general shouldn't be wheel chair accessible/ ADA should be optional ?

And besides that, those ADA guidelines are published, and referenced in contract documents. The article makes it very clear that the contractor screwed up and the MBTA (read: MA taxpayers) are not paying for the fix. Instead, they (read: the MBTA, on behalf of us) are enforcing the terms of the contract and making a contractor perform up to those terms.

There is no reasonable basis for anyone to use this situation as grounds to hate the Federal Government.

If the owners of Consigli Construction used it as ground to dismiss the site super who screwed up, I could understand that (depending on how good his / her prior performance had been).

If Consigli has screwed up like this elsewhere (this is a hypothetical, I have no clue if they have), I would feel that the MBTA could fairly take them off the list of acceptable bidders for some period of time. Granted, they're fixing this at their cost, but at the cost of disruption for station users. No need for hate, but some term of punishment could be warranted. Again, depending on the context of their prior performance.

The Federal Government has done nothing wrong here. The MBTA is doing something right.

Last edited:

Yeah, no. If only we had the same for ADA Section 508 compliance instead of the vague, wishy-washy standards we have now that are horrible to follow - and even if one does follow them as to the best as one can, it still doesn't actually mean that a site will work in a screen reader or other device to help those who are handicapped.

I would love to have something as set in stone as guidles like this - really hard to mess up wheel chair accessibility when it is all spelled out right there for you. Not really hard to follow, either. Unless you are saying things in general shouldn't be wheel chair accessible/ ADA should be optional ?

The T has had this exact 2% cross-slope limit for platforms in its Official Accessibility Design Guide since the day the ADA was passed into law in 1990. Every contractor gets a copy of that document, is required to abide by it, and is required to warranty to it if something doesn't conform.

No surprises, no controversy here. The contractor fixes it on their own dime, and Whiggy has a sad face because he can't get mileage out of today's banal threadshitting talking point.

Its not one-size-fits all with no tolerance - Both the Mass AAB and the Federal ADA Access Guidelines allow a range from 0-2%.

The question was by how much did it exceed the maximum 2% cross slope. If it was 2.1% or 2.2% then redoing this seems a waste of time (and from a systemic perspective it means other work is not getting done because there are finite resources in people and materials), if it was 3% then sure that is well outside the spec and the spec is there for a real reason.

The question was by how much did it exceed the maximum 2% cross slope. If it was 2.1% or 2.2% then redoing this seems a waste of time (and from a systemic perspective it means other work is not getting done because there are finite resources in people and materials), if it was 3% then sure that is well outside the spec and the spec is there for a real reason.

It might seem a waste of time from a common sense perspective, and I have sympathy for perceiving it from a common sense perspective. From an insurance and legal perspective, a standard is set for a reason: so that everyone has a standard to live by rather than some fuzzy gray zone to flail within. The minute one instance is allowed to fudge by at 2.1% or 2.2% instead of 2.0% - no matter how reasonable this might seem at a glance - it puts everyone onto the so-called slippery slope (see what I did there?).

Now matter how small the delta was between 2.0% and the built mistake, I assure you that the T's insurer for that platform notified the T in writing that they'd reject any insurance claims on accidents on that platform that could even remotely be attributed to a slope issue. React to that cynically however much you'd like, but that forces the T to force the builder to rebuild.

Over three decades ago, I once had the task of jackhammering a two-week old swimming pool out of the ground. Someone had made a layout error such that the distance from diving board to slope of pool bottom (the slope from shallow to deep end) was one inch too short. And the board could not be shifted backwards to gain that inch because it was already right at the legal limit for distance from the pool edge (the edge from which the board extended). I shit thee not, one inch. The home owner had discovered this and a number of other layout errors and disclosed them to his home insurance, they threatened to cancel his policy, his lender was getting really pushy, the lawyers commenced a-lawyering, and the pool-building company realized they had to cave. The owner would not accept a partial tear-out and re-adjustment to make it legal depth but still not shaped per what he paid for (he was incensed beyond description). So he and his lawyers forced a complete tear-out and rebuild at no cost, and the pool company decided to cave fast instead of after a protracted losing legal fight (probably a sensible decision). I was one of the collitch boys on the crew, so me and one other collitch boy were dispatched to go jackhammer up the brand new pool. And then the full crew returned and built a new one. The neighbors thought we were all on crack. One inch.

Now, many years later, having been professionally involved in several (winning) latent construction defects claims, and knowing how these things play out in court, I can say that homeowner did the right thing. And so did the T on this platform situation. I don't care if it was 2.05% and I also don't care if that really offends common sense (and it does offend common sense, mine too): you force a contractor to make that conform to the law. The T done right by the taxpayers here.

Last edited:

The T has had this exact 2% cross-slope limit for platforms in its Official Accessibility Design Guide since the day the ADA was passed into law in 1990. Every contractor gets a copy of that document, is required to abide by it, and is required to warranty to it if something doesn't conform.

No surprises, no controversy here. The contractor fixes it on their own dime.....

F-Line -- OK so there is no damage? --- au contraire -- the T's riding public is further inconvenienced, the T's Brand is further damaged and "GHG emissions" [for those so concerned] will increase as more commuters will drive.

It seems strange that if the T has known about the standard since 1990 and presumably the contractor has similarly known about it since at least the time of signing the contract -- Then why is it the not the T's management responsibility to check on these things as the work is being done

I had a house built in Austin Texas in 1981; and even though I still didn't yet own the house officially, I came out to look at it regularly and check to see if the city inspector had done his job correctly

Well my monitoring paid off -- the house had a gas hot water heater installed in a closet in the garage with no obvious means of venting it's exhaust -- it was fixed after I notified the construction supervisor. The fix wasn't completely painless -- while the contractor fixed it before the scheduled closing we lost about 1 square foot in a corner of the closet upstairs in my daughters bedroom where they had to route the flue pipe.

As in all things T -- I think the old regime's way of working, or not working as the case may be is still there. As they said inside the old Evil Empire -- "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us." Unfortunately, for the Taxpayer and the T-Rider -- we are still just beginning to unearth the messes made by "Ye Olde T" -- where we did pay them -- but they still only pretended to work :mad:

It doesn't matter. There's no round-up/round-down court to take this to in dispute because the specs have been crystal-clear for 26 years: the cross-slope is not to exceed 2.000000000¯%. Contractor has the responsibility to take care of their own fudge factor by starting at 1.9% ± 0.05% or whatever....not 2.0% as a starting point, then ± 0.05%. They're the ones building the structure and the only ones who know for sure what margin for error their guys need within the available specs, materials, and equipment to do it right. So the margin for error is applied proactively by them, not retroactively by a lawyer.

If there's a problem, there are only two possible outcomes:
A) They checked their math and don't think it's physically possible to build to that cross-slope. Notify the project manager, discuss possible solutions or change orders. By giving notice, legal protections get triggered in the contract if the customer balks and insists they do the impossible/illegal.

B) They didn't check their math. Go back and fix, per the boilerplate terms of the contract.

That's it. There's no disputing what the math is, because 1) it's spelled out; 2) the contractor not the customer or government is responsible for calculating the margin of error; and 3) the contractor has every ability to shield themselves legally if that calculated error is too unreasonably small...but only if they preemptively notify, because nobody else is going to do that on their behalf.

This isn't specific to public works projects with public agencies. As West's post details, there are so many entanglements--more of them related to private insurance than public bureaucracy--that would basically cause the whole construction industry to cease to function if subcontractors were allowed to go to outside arbitration on "reasonableness" grounds for overstepping a spec. Nothing would get done for anyone--from the Big Dig to the Millennium Tower developers right down to the dude putting in a backyard swimming pool--if contractors, project managers or customers, insurers, and lawyers were allowed an eye-of-beholder free for all every time ±0.01% tolerances were put under the microscope.

So conceptualize that in terms of the logic of the whole construction ecosystem, not the on-its-face illogic and arbitrariness of the law's rigidity to this specific slab of concrete in Salem commissioned by a public agency. How much construction stuff in the world would simply ground to a screeching halt--orders of magnitude greater than what gets bogged down today--if those build-to-spec responsibilities were in any doubt? The arbitrariness is a functional necessity for making the world go around.

Last edited:

Then why is it the not the T's management responsibility to check on these things as the work is being done

I don't understand where you're going with this. The T DID inspect it, they DID find the error, and now they're holding the contractor to repair their work to meet the contract plans and specs. I know you're really trying to find something to hold against the T here, but you're looking in the wrong place.

[IMG]http://www.hesherman.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/mouth-mic-300x124.jpg[/IMG] said:
F-Line -- Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet? --- consectetur adipiscing -- elit. Proin nisl lacus, congue eget feugiat et, laoreet non mauris. Integer lectus purus, maximus nec pellentesque et, fermentum vel dolor.

Fusce porta dictum est quis lacinia. Morbi vitae mi non ante commodo facilisis at eget sapien. Quisque lectus leo, cursus at gravida sed, malesuada sit amet elit. Maecenas faucibus, nisi a semper luctus, mi enim varius ante, quis condimentum felis felis a magna. Morbi pulvinar velit a fringilla eleifend.

Duis gravida libero quis diam lacinia malesuada. Ut ullamcorper lectus vitae velit pharetra tempor sed non tellus.

Mauris id convallis lectus. Donec interdum fringilla ex, in luctus turpis venenatis at. Nullam laoreet pulvinar quam, et tempor purus lacinia eu. In pharetra sed turpis et mattis. Pellentesque id suscipit tortor. Suspendisse dapibus sapien risus, non egestas augue placerat ac. Pellentesque in ligula consequat arcu interdum volutpat vel sit amet mauris. Sed iaculis ex id purus lacinia, id consequat quam interdum.Morbi cursus ante nec est dapibus pharetra. Ut eu mauris pellentesque, tempor eros quis, aliquam dolor. Suspendisse mattis ipsum sapien, quis luctus massa tincidunt vitae. Vestibulum egestas nibh et erat egestas molestie. Nulla id tincidunt augue.

Etiam viverra, tellus sed malesuada fermentum, mauris dolor viverra ligula, non lobortis urna eros non ante. Duis consectetur quam id dolor consectetur porttitor. Vivamus vehicula efficitur felis ut iaculis. Nunc maximus, orci ac facilisis vulputate, nisl nulla vehicula mauris, vel sagittis lacus est ut justo. Morbi dapibus lobortis dolor nec venenatis. Mauris bibendum pharetra diam vitae gravida. Pellentesque ullamcorper ex vitae augue pellentesque congue. Nunc justo orci, vulputate sit amet cursus non, malesuada sed augue. Nulla laoreet nibh vitae elit scelerisque, non sodales nisl auctor. Proin viverra odio sit amet elit fringilla, eget porttitor dolor hendrerit. Nam vulputate nunc ut nibh dapibus.:mad:

A little tame. I give it a 5. Let's try to give you some better faux-rage material to work with:

http://www.universalhub.com/2016/solar-panels-sprout-t-parking-lots-and-garages

Go for it, Professor. Entertain us on a gray Tuesday.

F-Line -- OK so there is no damage? --- au contraire -- the T's riding public is further inconvenienced, the T's Brand is further damaged and "GHG emissions" [for those so concerned] will increase as more commuters will drive.

It seems strange that if the T has known about the standard since 1990 and presumably the contractor has similarly known about it since at least the time of signing the contract -- Then why is it the not the T's management responsibility to check on these things as the work is being done

I had a house built in Austin Texas in 1981; and even though I still didn't yet own the house officially, I came out to look at it regularly and check to see if the city inspector had done his job correctly

Well my monitoring paid off -- the house had a gas hot water heater installed in a closet in the garage with no obvious means of venting it's exhaust -- it was fixed after I notified the construction supervisor. The fix wasn't completely painless -- while the contractor fixed it before the scheduled closing we lost about 1 square foot in a corner of the closet upstairs in my daughters bedroom where they had to route the flue pipe.

As in all things T -- I think the old regime's way of working, or not working as the case may be is still there. As they said inside the old Evil Empire -- "We pretend to work and they pretend to pay us." Unfortunately, for the Taxpayer and the T-Rider -- we are still just beginning to unearth the messes made by "Ye Olde T" -- where we did pay them -- but they still only pretended to work :mad:

The contractor screwed up - if they didn't know about ADA requirements then they shouldn't be in business, they are nothing new and are legal requirements for handicap accessibility. There is no wasted tax dollars here. The contractor made the ramp, it was found to be out of spec, and the contractor is paying to correct their screw up. One of the goals of upgrading the existing station (and not just adding the garage) was to make it ADA compliant.

It doesn't matter. There's no round-up/round-down court to take this to in dispute because the specs have been crystal-clear for 26 years: the cross-slope is not to exceed 2.000000000¯%. Contractor has the responsibility to take care of their own fudge factor by starting at 1.9% ± 0.5% or whatever....not 2.0% as a starting point, then ± 0.5%.

Exactly F-Line. The spec is the spec. If you need margin to meet the spec, you give yourself some margin. Nobody gets to arbitrarily redefine the spec.

Actually, let's talk about this solar installation, because holy crap is it cool:

VXXD5Tm.jpg

37 sites - 28 commuter rail parking lots, plus the nine significant T parking garages - are getting massive solar panels. (Board presentation). Very likely the largest single solar investment in the state. The T gets money, free electricity for the stations, and saves on snow removal costs. Cars will stay a lot cooler during the day. And yet surprisingly, it's not big news - only UHub seems to have picked up on it.

Actually, let's talk about this solar installation, because holy crap is it cool:

37 sites - 28 commuter rail parking lots, plus the nine significant T parking garages - are getting massive solar panels.

Very likely the largest single solar investment in the state. The T gets money, free electricity for the stations, and saves on snow removal costs. Cars will stay a lot cooler during the day. And yet surprisingly, it's not big news - only UHub seems to have picked up on it.

I completely agree that it is cool and I totally support it, makes perfect sense as a revenue generator.

It's also easy to understand the cooling of parked cars on hot days.

I am not clear on how it saves snow removal costs, and I can't find an answer in the links. Does the panel installer / operator have to take ownership of snow removal for the panels AND the ground surfaces of the lots as part of their lease obligations? If so, then I get it - snow removal is off-loaded entirely for any lot with these panels. If the panel operators are just going to push it off onto the ground to keep the panels clear for solar generation, I would see no savings.

My suspicion is that it may be some combination of four possible things, depending on the geometry of the panels. One, solar panels tend to stay rather warm even when not producing a lot of electricity; they might outright melt some of the snow. Two, snow may melt later on the panels and not reach the ground in a solid state at all. Three, they may prevent ice buildup on lots, which is particularly time-consuming to remove. Four, sections titled away lots may allow that snow to be redirected to outside the parking lot boundaries.

My suspicion is that it may be some combination of four possible things, depending on the geometry of the panels. One, solar panels tend to stay rather warm even when not producing a lot of electricity; they might outright melt some of the snow. Two, snow may melt later on the panels and not reach the ground in a solid state at all. Three, they may prevent ice buildup on lots, which is particularly time-consuming to remove. Four, sections titled away lots may allow that snow to be redirected to outside the parking lot boundaries.

Your first point is persuasive for minor storms. As for point three, a storm that causes ice build up on the ground could do likewise on the panels, and I found this one article that mentions that risk, and the added risk that the resultant ice sheets could slide off all at one crack:

http://www.solarindustrymag.com/onl...ing-Lots-Into-Power-Plants-With-Benefits.html

That article provided no help at all on who's handling snow removal, but it's interesting on the economics of these set-ups.

The website for the company selected by the T also is silent on snow removal:

http://omni-navitas.com/

Getting back to your point one, I would think that a really big blizzard that arrived after a cloudy day and/or after a full night, would be dropping snow on a not very warm surface. And with a real blizzard, the snow fall rate would quickly overwhelm any melting effect.

If I'm the operator and my return depended on generating electricity, I am not going to want to miss those beautiful clear days that follow blizzards, I'm going to want that snow off of there pronto. And those post-blizzard days are often bitterly cold, so I'm not going to wait around for the sun to melt it. And if 16 inches of snow freezes into one huge slab and comes off all at once on a shopper, I get sued; not good. It doesn't seem hard to rig up a dump truck with a long boom mounted to the back of the cab that can reach across the panels and sweep the snow right into the bed of the truck. Adapt one of those booms used to deliver building materials into second floor windows at job sites. Where you'd park to catch the snow would be the right place to park to reach the boom across the panels. Just cycle through the lot and sweep it all straight to the truck bed and dump it wherever works.

If I'm the lot owner, I'm not going to want my snow removal guys and the solar panel snow removal guys squabbling and getting in each others' way. And the trucks for clearing the solar panels, after a big storm, will first need access into the lot, which will require plowing the surface. So if I'm the land owner, I'm going to write the RFP to tell bidders to take on all snow removal, from panels and surface, and price that in. The panel operators form an arrangement with some subs who do these sorts of large lots anyways; they already have front end loaders and dump trucks, they just need to equip a few with an additional piece of equipment. With all those posts in the way, and the additional equipment, this will cost more than plowing a clean slate. But it can be priced. If there are some lighter storms where all the snow has melted off real fast as you suggest, then fine, just plow the lot itself.

Now if I could just find the RFP on the T's site.

It doesn't matter. There's no round-up/round-down court to take this to in dispute because the specs have been crystal-clear for 26 years: the cross-slope is not to exceed 2.000000000¯%. Contractor has the responsibility to take care of their own fudge factor by starting at 1.9% ± 0.05% or whatever....not 2.0% as a starting point, then ± 0.05%. They're the ones building the structure and the only ones who know for sure what margin for error their guys need within the available specs, materials, and equipment to do it right. So the margin for error is applied proactively by them, not retroactively by a lawyer.
/QUOTE]

Amazing -- while I was gone for a few days and nothing much has changed :eek:

F-line -- this was written as a reply to West -- but I missed the opportunity as I was not here -- nonetheless it applies to your post even more

[West or F-Line] if you really believe that -- then you live in a reality-free bubble

[added to address the most recent silliness about faux precision -- There is no such thing as a 2.000000000¯% slope on a piece of concrete -- given a very large budget I might be able to measure such a slope on a piece of highly polished fused quartz or a silicon wafer.

When it comes to concrete on the scale of meters the reality is probably 2% translates into anything from 1.95% to 2.05%

a 1.95% slope over 5 meters = 9.75 cm == 3.84"
a 2.00% slope over 5 meters = 10.0 cm == 3.94"
a 2.05% slope over 5 meters = 10.25 cm == 4.04"

by the way:
a 2.000000001% slope over 5 meters = 3.937007875984251968503937007874"
compared to
a 2.000000000% slope over 5 meters = 3.937007874015748031496062992126"

I was the victim of rigid faux precision thinking when Eyjafjallajökull that unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano blew in 2010 -- I was in Darmstadt Germany for a conference and couldn't return for nearly a week

Here's a bit from an article in the New Scientist that deals with [Zero Tolerance] [my highlights in [bold]
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18797-can-we-fly-safely-through-volcanic-ash/
Known unknowns
Ever since a Boeing 747 temporarily lost all four engines in an ash cloud in 1982, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) has stipulated that skies must be closed as soon as ash concentration rises above zero. The ICAO’s International Airways Volcano Watch uses computerised pollution dispersal models to predict ash cloud movements, and if any projections intersect a flight path, the route is closed.

But although it is certain that volcanic ash like that hanging over northern Europe can melt inside a jet engine and block airflow, nobody has the least idea about just how much is too much. After a week of losing millions every day, airlines are starting to ask why we can’t do better.

It need not be this way, concedes Jonathan Nicholson at the UK’s aviation regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority. “There may be a non-zero safe ash level for commercial jets, of so many particles of a certain size per minute,” he told New Scientist, “but we just don’t know.”....

Model makers
The wisdom of allowing computer models alone to ground flights is also being questioned. Frustrated companies including KLM, Lufthansa, BA, and aircraft maker Airbus have launched their own aircraft to explore how the reality in the air matched the models keeping them on the ground.

None suffered any damage, and some carried sampling instruments that found no ash in places where models predicted it, sparking strong complaints from the airline trade body IATA. Yet in a reminder of the risks, some military jets did encounter ash last week and sustained engine damage.

Prata says sensors like those he is developing at the Norwegian Institute for Air Research (NILU) in Kjeller could keep planes flying by letting them finesse the educated guesses of models to reveal ash-free patches and routes.

A spokeswoman for the British air-traffic control agency NATS said she was not aware of Prata’s work, but said the idea of in-flight detection sounded “handy”. However, Nicholson suggested that it could cause traffic problems if many flights ended up switching course to sidestep ash.

Whatever happens, one fallout from the ash cloud that has grounded Europe looks likely to be a fresh look at just how dangerous volcanic ash is, and whether planes can be given the smarts to dodge around it.

Well the actual fall-out of the Ash Cloud was that the Zero level was raised in two stages by the ICAO committee and suddenly what seemed theoretically and modeling-wise impossible -- i.e. International Air Traffic --- was in fact just routine -- and so it goes when you let unknowing and all powerful bureaucrats rule your life

Somebody want to alert him that that PM bot from last week has stolen his login and started spewing out prime numbers? :confused:

/QUOTE]

Amazing -- while I was gone for a few days and nothing much has changed :eek:

F-line -- this was written as a reply to West -- but I missed the opportunity as I was not here -- nonetheless it applies to your post even more

[West or F-Line] if you really believe that -- then you live in a reality-free bubble

[added to address the most recent silliness about faux precision -- There is no such thing as a 2.000000000¯% slope on a piece of concrete -- given a very large budget I might be able to measure such a slope on a piece of highly polished fused quartz or a silicon wafer.

When it comes to concrete on the scale of meters the reality is probably 2% translates into anything from 1.95% to 2.05%

a 1.95% slope over 5 meters = 9.75 cm == 3.84"
a 2.00% slope over 5 meters = 10.0 cm == 3.94"
a 2.05% slope over 5 meters = 10.25 cm == 4.04"

by the way:
a 2.000000001% slope over 5 meters = 3.937007875984251968503937007874"
compared to
a 2.000000000% slope over 5 meters = 3.937007874015748031496062992126"

I was the victim of rigid faux precision thinking when Eyjafjallajökull that unpronounceable Icelandic Volcano blew in 2010 -- I was in Darmstadt Germany for a conference and couldn't return for nearly a week

Here's a bit from an article in the New Scientist that deals with [Zero Tolerance] [my highlights in [bold]
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn18797-can-we-fly-safely-through-volcanic-ash/

Well the actual fall-out of the Ash Cloud was that the Zero level was raised in two stages by the ICAO committee and suddenly what seemed theoretically and modeling-wise impossible -- i.e. International Air Traffic --- was in fact just routine -- and so it goes when you let unknowing and all powerful bureaucrats rule your life

Kind of a pedantic response. It states that the cross slope cannot exceed maximum ratio of 1:48 (~2 degrees). No one is saying it have to be perfectly 100% a 2 degrees slope - that would be silly as it isn't possible. However, by using tools with sufficient precision/accuracy, it is pretty easy to not exceed a maximum, and to design it to less than that.

Back