MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

Kind of a pedantic response. It states that the cross slope cannot exceed maximum ratio of 1:48 (~2 degrees). No one is saying it have to be perfectly 100% a 2 degrees slope - that would be silly as it isn't possible. However, by using tools with sufficient precision/accuracy, it is pretty easy to not exceed a maximum, and to design it to less than that.

Don't bother...he knows all of those facts full well and is just trolling the thread.

Kind of a pedantic response. It states that the cross slope cannot exceed maximum ratio of 1:48 (~2 degrees). No one is saying it have to be perfectly 100% a 2 degrees slope - that would be silly as it isn't possible. However, by using tools with sufficient precision/accuracy, it is pretty easy to not exceed a maximum, and to design it to less than that.

Whigh is the definition of pedantic.

What this boils down to is that someone inspected/measured the cross slope and determined it to be off significantly enough to warrant redoing the entire slab. It is patently ridiculous to suggest that the slab is being redone because it is 2.0000001. Something was clearly wrong with the slope to the degree where the error could be specifically measured. It's being fixed not by the tax payers, but by Consigli. That's that.

That logical explanation I just gave doesn't fit Whigh's narrative though that he's trying to Whighjack the thread with and hence you get posts like that.

I'm an engineer. We struggle in the English department. ;-)

Don't taunt the board Humies! Some of us struggle to comprehend statements of logical form.
smiley_mr_green.png

tumblr_nvne6oY6Zv1qkvch0o1_1280.jpg

Engineers and humanities people know a picture is worth a thousand words, as F-Line demonstrates

Does anyone know the history on the little underpass along the Ashmont tracks just South of the Savin Hill stop? The MBTA has been doing work on it for a while now. I'm curious what it's purpose is/was and what they're doing with it.

g6RJM5r.jpg

Does anyone know the history on the little underpass along the Ashmont tracks just South of the Savin Hill stop? The MBTA has been doing work on it for a while now. I'm curious what it's purpose is/was and what they're doing with it.

g6RJM5r.jpg

Former freight siding to whatever industry used to be in the school bus yard, and because the Ashmont tracks block that side of the ROW they had to go up-and-over the siding. Believe it may be original 1928 construction from the Andrew-Ashmont extension. It was still connected to the Old Colony track up until a few years ago when they did the mainline replacement of the defective concrete ties, so it must've still been an active customer when the track was rebuilt for commuter rail restoration '96-97. You can still see the ties in the ground where the old switch was.

Tunnel is in absolutely deplorable structural condition. Flimsy thickness, and from a Braintree or OC train you can see nuthin' but exposed rebar on the walls and ceiling. They're re-pouring the concrete to reinforce it, because at current rate of deterioration it's bound to become a hazard to the Ashmont tracks above. Other than that necessary repair that I don't think they're doing anything with it. It's a makeshift emergency access point and nothing else.

Here's what it looked like in March 1928:

Is the T planning modifications to the shopping concourse at DTX? There are markings spray painted on the floor such "GATE" and "DOOR" with dotted lines, like they're planning out some circulation modifications.

Is the T planning modifications to the shopping concourse at DTX? There are markings spray painted on the floor such "GATE" and "DOOR" with dotted lines, like they're planning out some circulation modifications.

I noticed those, too, last week when I stopped by Roche Brothers. Seems like a lot could be done down there to make it much nicer/add in some little retail stuff.

From today's Melrose Free Press:

The project appears to be in the early planning process and the article goes on to say, "The approximately $15 million project would be fully covered by the MBTA, with construction expected to begin in late 2017 or early 2018."

Upon approval, the bridge will be assembled on the soccer field across from the MHS baseball field and then dropped into place soon after the old bridge is disassembled.

How long will that interrupt Haverhill line service? Hopefully it won't be for too long.

As it says in the article, one weekend.

^ Right, just one weekend of interrupted commuter rail service. But we've got at least over a year before this project begins and then an expected 18 month construction period. Most of the interruption this project will cause is the displaced soccer field for 2-3 seasons. Thankfully Melrose has a few good alternatives for soccer fields within the city limits.

Wachusett station this afternoon. Might actually open by the 9/30 deadline.

640px-Wachusett_station_platform_facing_northeast%2C_August_2016.JPG

639px-Wachusett_station_platform_facing_west_August_2016.JPG

Back