MBTA Construction Projects

Re: T construction news

I've seen real time indicators at bus stops and in the subways in Munich, Berlin and Frankfurt. MBTA buses are equipped with GPS devices which prompt the automatic stop announcments, I wonder if they can be used for real time reporting. They currently report how late or early the bus is in relation to its location to the driver via screens above the driver's seat.

Roxxma,

This is one of my specialties:

1) All you need for buses and commuter rail is to have a small processor that takes the GPS info and packages it along with a unique vehicle identity, for broadcast via WiFi or via a dedicated radio channel to the secure / un-secure Internet

2 ) For the Subway -- you need to implement the equivalent of the GPS to allow the determination of the vehicle position -- while the vehicles are in the tunnel. This means that you have a GPS-like reference signal broadcast via tunnel radio, or otherwise you can independently determine the vehicle?s position through the use of either along-the-track-based, or track-side local position sensors ? in either case this will then provide the GPS-equivalent position to the vehicle. Then like the case for above ground the vehicle then broadcasts its position via a local WiFi in the tunnel, or along the ROW that may be connected to the Internet by a dedicated fiberoptic network

3) This system also can help with security as video, audio, emergency button signals, other kinds of sensors on the vehicles {fire, maintenance related, etc.,} can all be broadcast over a secure Internet to the T's Command, Control and Communmications Center {C^3}.

4) the T?s C^3 Center can then compute the expected arrival times for the vehicle at the various stations along each route and put that information on either an open and / or secure Internet for display at the various stations and possibly to the PDAs of the commuting public

As a result of such unfortunate events such as Madrid and London Transit terrorism -- a lot of the necessary infrastructure is either already in-place or in the process of being installed to complement the Charlie Card, stationary surveillance cameras, etc.

Westy

Does the silver line Washington finally have the working arrival time info?

The system was installed when the line opened, but I think they were only turning it on last year.

Each stop was supposed to say exactly how many minutes until the next bus based on GPS, instead of the repeating "buses arrive every 12 minutes or less" message.

I was at Kenmore this morning to change trains, and was checking out the new finishes that are being installed in the station. They're covering wall surfaces on the platforms with 1" glass tiles, just like the ones in the entrance below the Faux-tel Commonwealth (the Barbie Dream Motor-Lodge). By my eyes, the workmanship is atrocious, and the materials are not appropriate to a high-traffic subway stop.

Does the silver line Washington finally have the working arrival time info?
No, they are still not working.

But we now get informative announcements on the Orange Line that "the next train to Forest Hills is now arriving". A most useless innovation.

Has anyone noticed the teeny-weeny sidewalk that was put in along State Street on the Exchange Place block? I assume this is due to ongoing station renovations at State (there is a fenced work area adjacent to it), but a miniature sidewalk is not one of the characteristics of Beacon Hill I would have wished on this location. This can't possibly be permanent, can it? After seeing the sidewalk reductions on Comm Ave. near BU, I can't help but worry though.

I wouldn't worry about it; that whole area is slated to get massive pedestrian improvements as part of the whole CrossRoads (Streets?) Initiative.

For quite a while there was no sidewalk there at all, as the T pit had consumed that whole side of the street. I'd assume anything there is temporary.

I wouldn't worry about it; that whole area is slated to get massive pedestrian improvements as part of the whole CrossRoads (Streets?) Initiative.

Ahh, that's right cz, thanks!

State Street

Has anyone noticed the teeny-weeny sidewalk that was put in along State Street on the Exchange Place block? I assume this is due to ongoing station renovations at State

I used to work at a company whose office were in 75 State Street and we had a number of meetings about the multi-year impact of the State Street T station rehab, which is doing all sorts of awful things to that intersection in a number of phases. Everything will get put back at the end, even the nice granite sidewalk on the Exchange Place side of the street. And we will get new entrances at 60 State and Exchange Place, which will reduce the amount of crossings at that intersection.

The T never said if the entrance at the Old State House will close. Anyone know?

I hope it does. It's a discrace to have such an important historical site mared by a subway entrance.

However, it is a very convenient entrance. Removing it will cause more people to have to cross that intersection.

It's a discrace to have such an important historical site mared by a subway entrance.

I think it's kinda cool. I always show visitors our "18th century subway station".

that subway entrance is just an entrance and not a exit... I'm pretty sure... that freakin boils my blood. I don't get it, the exit is the easy part, no need for turnstiles or whatever the name for the new gates is.... Am I wrong? thats only an entrance right? I got off there a few times and gave up on it because I had to switch from red to orange. They T should have maps of the stations entrances and exits for people unfamiliar to certain stops and the easiest way to get on and off. Saying the street it comes up to is all well and fine, but I don't know the name of every street in Boston. This is especially helpful when its 5 and blowing 40mph.

I don't understand what you mean. There is no such thing as an entrance-only gate. There are still some exit-only gates, but many fewer than the system had before Charlie. Also, you don't transfer from the Red Line to the Orange Line at State.

I was reading some blog of a South Carolina Man's visit to Boston and he mentioned the State Street stop below:

When going to the Old State house we saw a lot of people pouring out of the basement. We looked and there was a subway entrance. It turns out that?s the State subway station. Weird

the rest of the blog is here (it's from 2005):
http://luckybobs.blogspot.com/2005/08/bean-town-was-windy.html

I took the 57 today, and noticed that the shelter doesnt extend to where the 57 stops. Woops.

IMG_3223.jpg

uhm, maybe i'm stupid, but can someone please tell me what that contraption is actually supposed to shelter you from?

Back