MBTA Construction Projects

Well that didn't take long! This one from today (6/29) is only about 14 hrs after the previous one above:
Wow - did not take long at all for that steel to come down... Curious what's happening this weekend then, with the shutdown? Maybe foundation work for the new headhouse? When you get off at Kendall I was surprised to not only find the old area walled off, but every crevice has been sealed with tape - making sure no dust gets through at all. Big things planned perhaps.

Wow - did not take long at all for that steel to come down... Curious what's happening this weekend then, with the shutdown? Maybe foundation work for the new headhouse? When you get off at Kendall I was surprised to not only find the old area walled off, but every crevice has been sealed with tape - making sure no dust gets through at all. Big things planned perhaps.
Yeah, I noticed the same. I'd guess the above-ground steel was the easy part. Perhaps they'll next be jackhammering some at/below-grade concrete from the old head house.

It's been a while since I've been through the station, but I believe that Luciano's still uses the grand hall area as an banquet hall / events space for weddings and the like.

Also, there's apparently a new Lebanese restaurant/ nightclub, 961, with decent looking reviews across the hall now.

961 looks to be a great restaurant!

AND they seem to be "one of us" - - love architecture :)

"Drawing strong inspiration from the very skin and massive bones of Union Station, the design leaves exposed the raw concrete and rough brickwork, highlighted by a Modern Mediterranean motif loaded with lights and mirrors.......Our venue is a confluence of past and present — a place where the architectural integrity of Union Station meets modern luxury."

Back