MBTA Construction Projects

That figure ignores all other regular maintance costs, any costs from parking enforcement, and other regular costs. While I don't know for sure how much those are, they've got to be taking a big chunk of that parking revenue as it is.
I left that out because it's impossible to parse out Alewife specifically, but Keolis has a 3 year contract for parking management for all 101 MBTA owned parking facilities for $19M, including revenue enforcement as well as general upkeep maintenance and cleaning - call it $6.3m a year. Notably doesn't include life safety, elevators or snow and ice since the T broke it out of the bid, (because climate change, snow isn't as predictable so it's now a as-needed direct pass through cost) but the original bid that included it was for ~$25.5M. That said, I'm pretty sure actual repairs to anything is part of the facilities on call contracts so it's basically invisible to me. But on a per-space basis, Alewife has ~2500/44000 total spaces on the MBTA system, so it's share of parking management expenses is ~345k a year.

For FY24, parking revenues systemwide were budgeted at ~$24M, (In FY19 they were ~$53M) so yea - that management is definitely taking a healthy bite of the budget but it's not a completely accurate comparison since now I'm not including the capital work across all the other garages and lots.

Last edited:

Back