MBTA Fare System (Charlie, AFC 2.0, Zone, Discounts)

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
The card still shows the tap happened even if the revenue hasnt been processed.
Inspectors actually had mobile POP verification devices that they would have you tap your card on and on the screen it would show if a tap happened/you paid your fare. This used to be done on the E line back in 2008 from NEU to Brigham Circle. They also could accept fare taps, so they used to open the back doors at LMA when Boston Latin got out in the afternoon and stand at the back door and let you tap on their device to speed up boarding because of the crush of students.

Last edited:

Brattle Loop

Reaction score
Hello question re: fare gates that were supposed to be installed at North Station (https://www.mbta.com/projects/commuter-rail-station-fare-gates). I have not heard any updates after the announcement that they were being installed. Was wondering if these have been installed, if they are operational, and how they're working? Thank you
Last time I was through there was about a week ago. I was rushing to catch a train and didn't get a good look, but there were clearly some areas closed off for construction work. I didn't see any gates actually installed, and if there are any, they certainly weren't operational at that time. (I suspect, like many an MBTA/Keolis project, the timeline's probably slipped somewhat, though I for one am not complaining.)

Does make me wonder how the gates will actually work, though. There doesn't seem to be any way they could actually collect fares (rather than simply validating that one has a ticket) on account of there being no mechanism to keep people from gaming the system as to which zone they're travelling to. (That'd presumably stay the conductors' job, though oddly on that particular CR trip the conductor didn't actually collect fares, so, maybe Keolis is going all-in on the gates so they can give up on having their employees carry out a fairly basic element of their jobs...?)

aycaramba

Reaction score
Does make me wonder how the gates will actually work, though. There doesn't seem to be any way they could actually collect fares (rather than simply validating that one has a ticket) on account of there being no mechanism to keep people from gaming the system as to which zone they're travelling to. (That'd presumably stay the conductors' job, though oddly on that particular CR trip the conductor didn't actually collect fares, so, maybe Keolis is going all-in on the gates so they can give up on having their employees carry out a fairly basic element of their jobs...?)
I imagine they will work like they do at major train stations e.g. in the UK. They just validate that you have a ticket and basically trust that you bought the appropriate destination. You also have to scan your ticket to exit the station so it works both in/outbound to at least guarantee people buy any ticket. Not perfect but better than the current standard on the commuter rail...