MBTA Train Redesign

S

sixten

Hi Archboston guys and gals. I'm embarking on a pet project to redesign the red line trains, with the goal of sharing modular body assemblies between lines. I'd like to complete 3-4 separate designs in the search for the most practical, space-efficient design. The last month of mechanically-derived cold weather delays, their resulting overcrowding, and the generally unpleasant station accommodations & appearances have led me to this. It will be an extensive redesign of the trains, human traffic patterns, and stations themselves. Each train will take into consideration space maximization, safety, comfort, power efficiency, cost efficiency, and cross-line modular part utilization, among other things. Each day on the Boston T brings new ideas, and each will be incorporated in some form during the coming months.

5400945071_89aaf915b7_b.jpg

5400945065_508bc5066f_b.jpg

In the above version, the front "lip" provides a stepping surface, and is circular in profile to minimize car contact during tight turns. The front step surface will also push a series of retrofitted "blinds" away, which will cover the rail pit when the train is not present in the station. These blinds will prevent waiting passengers from falling into the pit. The goal of this circular design language is to create an iconic and geometrically-robust appearance. A frosted sunroof allows natural light throughout the cars. Conductor visibility is maximized with liberal use of wraparound glass. This is an ongoing project, so these still require much thought and packaging consideration. Open to any feedback. Thanks!

wow cool! What a great project!

Doesn't the Scrolling LED on the front get right in the way of the conductors eyes?

These look great. What are you designing in?

I love the idea of blinds closing off the pit - haven't seen that done before... is it a reality anywhere? I've seen other solutions like a second set of doors on the platform, but that's inefficient forcing the train to align perfectly with the doors. The blinds you suggest would be much more elegant.

Another solution involves activating the third rail only when the train is running near or over it. Doesn't prevent people from falling into the pit though, and that probably requires a full replacement of the third rail infrastructure rather than just the cars.

Sexy. Does the other end have a door for passing through or emergency exits?

Can you also design me my monorails for the Rose Kennedy Greenway?

That was EXACTLY my first impression too haha.

Haha, actually I wasn't aware of the MTA logo. But having now seen it, aside from the circle (which continues the current 'T' circle) and letters in perpective, the coincidental similarities end. Keen observation, though. Creating a rip-off was not my intention, and it never is with anything I design.

@ Palindrome- the LED scroll may conflict with visibility, and I may try a top-glass config. It will be more visible to waiting passengers anyways.

@ Shepard- thanks. There are complexity issues with the blind idea as currently envisioned, but it will create ad space, and hopefully = sufficient revenue to help cover this extensive retrofit. Your idea of a temporarily-activated 3rd rail is a simple but great idea! This is being developed in Alias.

@ vanshnookenraggen- thanks. I'm thinking pass-through, but with full-time open doorways when joined with other cars to maximize passenger distribution.

Thanks for your feedback so far everyone! Further visuals to follow this week.

This is a previous version, which isn't the most cost-practical solution due to its asymmetrical construction. It was driven more by aesthetics than anything. This one has a subframe, or cradle, which tilts the cabin during turns to counteract side-to-side motions. Not a new idea, but it might help on banked topography:

5426565594_a70580ec0f_z.jpg

Words above the entryways read: "Allow exiting passengers out before entering". A little added preventative measure for a problem we users see all the time :)

In the above version, the front "lip" provides a stepping surface, and is circular in profile to minimize car contact during tight turns.

Only the ends of the trains should have this, otherwise, passing through will not be the safest thing, even if the train is not moving. So as you say in the post above, you'd like to let people move through freely, how is this possible unless only the cab ends have the round lip. What I'd suggest is articulated cars, but this would make the entire train a "married" set.

I'm pretty lazy right now, so I'm not sure you'll understand what I'm saying. I'll try to explain tomorrow if you don't understand.

I'm not sure I quite understand the effectiveness of the blinds. Do people fall on the tracks frequently?

As far as train design goes, I really like it. Reminds me a lot of a train set on Madrid's Metro.
800px-Madrid_-_Estaci%C3%B3n_Marqu%C3%A9s_de_Vadillo_-_20060910.jpg

Though I hope when it comes time, the MBTA goes for something a la Madrid's Ansaldobreda trains. Articulated cars, sleek design, very nice.

madrid9000series1.jpg

See them in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c78-sAlekyA

Only the ends of the trains should have this, otherwise, passing through will not be the safest thing, even if the train is not moving. So as you say in the post above, you'd like to let people move through freely, how is this possible unless only the cab ends have the round lip. What I'd suggest is articulated cars, but this would make the entire train a "married" set.

I'm pretty lazy right now, so I'm not sure you'll understand what I'm saying. I'll try to explain tomorrow if you don't understand.

Sorry I didn't make that portion clear enough, since the first pictures suggest that intra-car joints will look just like the front. But that will not be the case. The rear of each car will have hydraulic or manual spring-assist sliding extensions to close gaps and maintain tight tolerances between cars. This system has yet to be developed. Same goes for the entire interior, but a few ideas have been floating around for some time and will be illustrated.

Safety will depend on how seamlessly and flush I can design these transitions. The green line has achieved this more or less successfully in their joints, using relatively straightforward hinge and turntable principles. However, the biggest difference being, of course, that they are designed to remain that way. It will be a challenge to apply a disconnecting version of a pass-through to the red line.

@manrush- this will not be driverless. The driver sits front and center in this config, and 15" higher than passengers for enhanced visibility. Please bear with me, as I've never designed mass transit, and there is still much to consider. Your help is appreciated!

Cool designs. Though, to be honest, as much as it's plain and a complete rip-off from Stockholm, the T logo is a classic and don't think it should be 'refreshed'. Though I do like writing out the full name of the T next to the logo.

What about articulated train sets? Have those been mentioned before? Are they feasible with the Harvard turn? They can increase capacity by upwards of 10% which, as subway ridership is increasing, could be beneficial for the T in that they can increase capacity to work with demand while not increasing the number of trains running. Granted, that doesn't do too much for the terrible headways during off-peak hours, it could make the ride a bit more comfortable.

IMO, the Red Line doesn't really have a capacity problem. Innovative solutions should all be directed toward the Green Line.

Cool designs. Though, to be honest, as much as it's plain and a complete rip-off from Stockholm, the T logo is a classic and don't think it should be 'refreshed'. Though I do like writing out the full name of the T next to the logo.

Thanks, but again, I did not rip off any logos. If so, it is purely coincidental. Here is every Stokholm train logo I could find:

200px-Stockholm_commuter_rail_symbol.svg.png

sl.png

ae_logo.gif

Aside from two of them including a circle, what are the similarities? Please tell me if I've overlooked the logo you are referring to.

@czsz- the reasons for maximizing capacity is:
a) Comfort: comfortable distribution of passengers during peak hours
b) Efficiency: reducing necessary footprint and weight of train by shifting passengers into unimplemented spaces (example: between trains). If efficient enough, it could reduce the number of cars required, but probably only by 1.
c) Population: package-protecting for increases in ridership over the long term

@omaja- it doesn't happen often, but based on the increased risk of falling for children, drunks, and those with medical episodes, I think it is worth the effort to close it out. It could also change the dynamic of the station, providing a unique space for art and ads. Just an extra safety measure.

Hey, sixten, this is really cool, and I look forward to seeing more. I think what erikyow meant was that the actual 'T logo (not yours) is a rip-off of the Stockholm logo, yet is nevertheless iconic enough to consider retaining. I agree with you that there are commonalities in many of the world's transit logos, so I'm open to something else, but there is a strong conservative streak in Boston when it comes to this sort of thing, so you should expect some push back.

As I'm sure you know, there are practical differences in the tunnels and stations that will make a completely uniform train design not feasible. Is your intention mostly one that maximizes interchangeable parts, so that the maintenance differences become less significant?

where are the doors?

also regarding the blinds vs secondary door, it sounds like you'd still have the potential issue of people walking out on the blinds/blocking the train? the glass doors prevent anyone from passing into the tunnel area. or am i not picturing this correctly?

I think what erikyow meant was that the actual 'T logo (not yours) is a rip-off of the Stockholm logo, yet is nevertheless iconic enough to consider retaining. I agree with you that there are commonalities in many of the world's transit logos, so I'm open to something else, but there is a strong conservative streak in Boston when it comes to this sort of thing, so you should expect some push back.

As I'm sure you know, there are practical differences in the tunnels and stations that will make a completely uniform train design not feasible. Is your intention mostly one that maximizes interchangeable parts, so that the maintenance differences become less significant?

Understood, and apologies for misinterpreting you erikyow. Perhaps retaining the iconic T logo would be worth trying. The modular cross-polinization between red and green line trains will probably be limited to the front portions of cars, along with some mechanicals, within reason.

@unterbau- the blinds are just a working idea, which goes for pretty much everything at this point. Your inputs are helping this along. Thanks.

Back