MBTA "Transformation" (Green Line, Red Line, & Orange Line Transformation Projects)

I think that this has been their slogan since 09-11; See something, say something. Why does that not apply to projects left undone?!! :unsure:
"Hello, MBTA? Yes. It looks like a turrorist ripped the ends off the metal supports on the Aquarium station passenger area and threw some sort of white powder soaked mops on top of that. What? Why, yes it is on both sides of the tracks. It's probably some sort of toxic chemical agent... oh, because it smells toxic. You'll send someone right over? Thank you, I feel safer already."

Problem. Solved.

And no, you don't need a pic. If you've been to the Aquarium in the last decade, it hasn't changed. It's the same stained incomplete crap as the day it was re-built -- but even moldier.

I feel like if you ride public transit in 'Murca, your government hates you. Res ipsa loquitur.

The Amish follow a tradition of deliberately leaving an imperfection in whatever they make. They believe it's prideful to make something absolutely perfect. So, the MBTA and the Amish share a common cultural trait. :cool:

The Amish follow a tradition of deliberately leaving an imperfection in whatever they make. They believe it's prideful to make something absolutely perfect. So, the MBTA and the Amish share a common cultural trait. :cool:

What makes you think it's deliberate on the MBTA's part :ROFLMAO:

This should be one of the next projects to work on, possibly by this coming spring on the E Green Line.

Retyled MBTA stops on Huntington Ave..png

This rendering is outdated and the T has said so explicitly in their own words. If transit lanes are happening on South Huntington, they will be center-running.

I got the pic from the MBTA's website. It said nothing about it being old or outdated.

T officials are on the record saying otherwise.

You'd have thought that they'd let visitors know on the website. Lack of communication screws things up all the time!!

Last edited:
I had a chance to visit the new stations last week. Definitely a major step up from the old stations, and even from the older generation of accessible stations like BU Central. Canopies cover 2/3 of the platform, rather than just a few discontinuous sections. They have both seats and lean rails. (However, they don't offer complete wind blocking from the street side.) Platforms are a bit wider as well. Arrival times on the countdown signs were pretty accurate. The lollipop signs at both ends of the stations are a nice touch. My one other complaint is that there's no fence between the walkways and tracks; that seems like a basic safety feature, but perhaps it wouldn't be allowed per fire code (because there would be fences on both sides of trains.)

And yes, the missing end pieces on the canopies have been installed.

Babcock Street:
1640995885788.png

Amory Street:
1640995928292.png

1640995939349.png

1640995955467.png

I had a chance to visit the new stations last week. Definitely a major step up from the old stations, and even from the older generation of accessible stations like BU Central. Canopies cover 2/3 of the platform, rather than just a few discontinuous sections. They have both seats and lean rails. (However, they don't offer complete wind blocking from the street side.) Platforms are a bit wider as well. Arrival times on the countdown signs were pretty accurate. The lollipop signs at both ends of the stations are a nice touch. My one other complaint is that there's no fence between the walkways and tracks; that seems like a basic safety feature, but perhaps it wouldn't be allowed per fire code (because there would be fences on both sides of trains.)

And yes, the missing end pieces on the canopies have been installed.

Babcock Street:
View attachment 20119

Amory Street:
View attachment 20120
View attachment 20121
View attachment 20122
This actually feels like what modern light rail stations should be.

Maybe one day we'll see all Green Line surface stations renovated to look like this... We can always hope.

Everything at the stations looks great, and thanks for the write up! I hope the spacing between “B” and “Government Center” can be improved on the digital roll sign (especially because I think there is extra spacing between “Government” and “Center”).

Even with the spacing issue, the legibility difference between the Type 9's LEDs and the LCD on the Type 7 is dramatic.

This actually feels like what modern light rail stations should be.

Maybe one day we'll see all Green Line surface stations renovated to look like this... We can always hope.

Well, I'm not sure they'll look as nice as these, but major renovation may not be as far off as you think.

Per the 5/24/21 accessibility update - https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/2021-06/2021-05-24-swa-initiatives.pdf

Packard’s Corner, South Street, Sutherland Rd, Chiswisk, Chestnut Hill Ave (B Branch); Tappan,
Fairbanks, Summit Ave, Hawes, St. Paul Street, Englewood, Brandon Hall, Kent Street (C
Branch)
Scope: Each of these street-level Green Line stops will be modified by raising the existing
platforms by 8 inches and adjusting nearby infrastructure as needed in order to provide
accessibility. Project scopes vary stop to stop but each requires meaningful coordination with
Boston and/or Brookline.
Update: Throughout 2018-2019, the MBTA conducted track replacement along parts of the Green
Line’s B and C branches. As part of that work, portions of the platforms were removed and
replaced – motivating the need to make them accessible. Conceptual designs are underway for
each, and early timelines project that, depending on the stop, construction will begin between
2023 – 2024.

Hopefully they have some futureproofing built in that allows for canopies where possible to be dropped in easily, if those aren't in the scope..

Still no improved Mattapan trolleys nearly five years after $7.9m MBTA investment announced

Looks like still more problems getting the PCC's rebuilt, along with reduced service due to the driver shortage.

I hadn't read about this before:

Shortly after beginning work on the first trolley, the MBTA discovered lead paint, which can cause serious health problems and needed to be removed. All lead paint had been stripped from the cars during their last overhaul in 2001, Stoothoff said, but the agency suspects that a supervisor at the time decided to use it again without anyone knowing.

Which seems like a new high water mark of incompetence for the T if true.

At least it is also noted that the T is currently in talks with an engineering firm for the design of Phase 2 of the high speed line transformation project, which includes station upgrades/redesigns, track upgrades, etc.

I'm astonished that they only just completed this. I had long thought it was already built and ready to go. Guess it's a good thing delivery delays meant they haven't really needed it.

Back