MBTA "Transformation" (Green Line, Red Line, & Orange Line Transformation Projects)

I'm astonished that they only just completed this. I had long thought it was already built and ready to go. Guess it's a good thing delivery delays meant they haven't really needed it.

Speaking of - has there been any updates on the new signaling projects/track work for either line? I'd hope with all the delays in the rolling stock that those projects would be able to get ahead of things.

Ah, thank you. I also don't know why I thought they were fully replacing the Orange Line's signal system, too, but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

edit: I actually found it, it is in the OL Transformation page. Looks like the last update for OL Signals is that they were going to be design complete summer.... 2021 and done this year. Lack of updates on it doesn't bode well, I would think.

Last edited:
Once the Red Line test track function is no longer needed, is it operationally feasible to extend Red Line service into the Seaport? Maybe terminating at the Convention Center? Again, this may not be operationally feasible with another southern spur besides Braintree and Ashmont. Maybe a Times Square-like shuttle that operates between Broadway and Convention Center?

This is a link to an article about the test track. I can't seem to change the displayed text.

Once the Red Line test track function is no longer needed, is it operationally feasible to extend Red Line service into the Seaport? Maybe terminating at the Convention Center? Again, this may not be operationally feasible with another southern spur besides Braintree and Ashmont. Maybe a Times Square-like shuttle that operates between Broadway and Convention Center?

This is a link to an article about the test track. I can't seem to change the displayed text.

I'd suggest raising this in Reasonable Transit Pitches.

Operationally, splitting the Red Line at Columbia Junction is probably feasible. Each of the two branches south of there only sustains half the headways of the main trunk, should be plenty of capacity to stuff some more runs in on one or both of them to feed another branch north of the junction without decreasing capacity through Boston/Cambridge. (See also the various "Red-X" discussions in this and other threads.)

Using the test track for service is not practical. For one thing, my understanding is that CSX still has trackage rights over that line (not that they're presently interested in doing much of anything there), and if I recall correctly the state is obliged to return the track to the national railroad network once they're done using it as a test track. Massport would probably pitch a fit if the state tried to cut it permanently, as they've had eyes on potential use of it for serving as a freight link to the Seaport and I doubt they want that possibility killed off even if nothing has yet come of it.

Running a shuttle is also not practical. That track only connects to Cabot Yard (via a reverse move) at that, and can only access the rest of the Red Line via the Cabot yard leads. The best a shuttle could do would be running from BCEC to Dorchester Ave near the donut shop, which hardly seems worthwhile. Unfortunately, tempting as that track looks, it's regrettably unsuitable for transit use.

Maybe a Times Square-like shuttle that operates between Broadway and Convention Center?
It's looks to me like an LRT shuttle from Andrew might be possible, setting aside the CSX/FRA complexities. I believe Andrew has an unused trolley component to the station, might be possible to connect that across Ellery St. and the parking lot, to connect with track 61. But from a practical standpoint, we already have a shuttle between the Red Line and BCEC, it's called the Silver Line.

But from a practical standpoint, we already have a shuttle between the Red Line and BCEC, it's called the Silver Line.

You mean the 7 Bus. Silver Line doesn't really stop near the BCEC although I guess you could walk.

I read a pitch somewhere (I think it may have been Ari Ofsevit's old blog) for a light rail shuttle along Track 61 from Andrew to Black Falcon, running old Green Line or High Speed Line trolleys that are coming out of service. Basically one terminus W of Ellery St along Southampton (short surface transfer from Andrew RL and bus) and one out by Design Center / Drydock Ave. Additional stops could be at BCEC / Omni, Channel Center / Cypher St, and possibly Old Colony / Dot Ave. For plenty of Seaport workers coming from the southern half of the RL this would be preferable to going into South Station and back out on the Silver, and it would decongest the silver. And it all could be a pretty bootstrap operation, with the few grade crossings (Cypher, Pumphouse, possibly Drydock) easily handled by light rail vehicles.

You mean the 7 Bus. Silver Line doesn't really stop near the BCEC although I guess you could walk.
No, I meant the Silver Line. The station might be named, World Trade Center, but it's just as close to BCEC and reasonably serves both facilities.

I read a pitch somewhere (I think it may have been Ari Ofsevit's old blog) for a light rail shuttle along Track 61 from Andrew to Black Falcon, running old Green Line or High Speed Line trolleys that are coming out of service. Basically one terminus W of Ellery St along Southampton (short surface transfer from Andrew RL and bus) and one out by Design Center / Drydock Ave. Additional stops could be at BCEC / Omni, Channel Center / Cypher St, and possibly Old Colony / Dot Ave. For plenty of Seaport workers coming from the southern half of the RL this would be preferable to going into South Station and back out on the Silver, and it would decongest the silver. And it all could be a pretty bootstrap operation, with the few grade crossings (Cypher, Pumphouse, possibly Drydock) easily handled by light rail vehicles.

How can anything off of Track 61 get down to Ellery Street to begin with? Per Google Maps there doesn't appear to be sufficient room on the ROW next to the Old Colony track to fit a shuttle track and platform. The longer that transfer, especially if it's exposed to the elements and/or outside of fare control, the lower the ridership will be. Enduring the Silver Line will generally be taken as preferable to an uncomfortable outdoor transfer except on nice days.

More to the point, while I think it's at least theoretically possible to time-separate non-FRA LRT and freight service, I have no clue whether that would be plausible. There's no freight service on Track 61 now, obviously, but Massport hasn't given up the possibility, and I don't know how CSX's trackage rights would impact any effort to get approval for time separation to permit the service; pulling that track permanently off the national network isn't going to fly. I suspect there wouldn't be sufficient ridership to justify the costs of such a shuttle, though I would be interested t to see it studied.

Anyone see this? Dimock Street.

I mean... overall that was a pretty ridiculous video. Are we really now blaiming the MBTA for insane Boston drivers and the complete lack of traffic enforment across the entire city? Seriously? In maybe 5 years in front of my house I have had a car jump the sidewalk and take out my retaining wall, neighbor had a car in their front lawn and take out the hedge, and the traffic light on the block has been taking out at least 4 times. I can't think how a person can seriously blame the MBTA for some idiot taking out the electrical box at a stop. We have plenty of center stops elsewhere in the city on the Green Line for as long as the MBTA has been around and it isn't a problem. The only thing I could see complaining about is if the MBTA takes forever to fix the damage. Also find it strange to keep repeating the $60 million figure, considering I would hope the driver's insurance is going to be on the hook for the cost of this. As for taking a single anecdote on the current on time performance- honestly I could buy it, but, I am pretty sure the T has actual data and numbers on the OTP for the lines using that bus way and not just a single random observance which is what should be looked at.

I mean all in all, yeah, that sucks it was already damaged, but go after the maniacs driving at 50 mph through the city and step up enforcement on that. Blaming the T is just bizarre.

Last edited:
I mean... overall that was a pretty ridiculous video. Are we really now blaiming the MBTA for insane Boston drivers and the complete lack of traffic enforment across the entire city? Seriously? In maybe 5 years in front of my house I have had a car jump the sidewalk and take out my retaining wall, neighbor had a car in their front lawn and take out the hedge, and the traffic light on the block has been taking out at least 4 times. I can't think how a person can seriously blame the MBTA for some idiot taking out the electrical box at a stop. We have plenty of center stops elsewhere in the city on the Green Line for as long as the MBTA has been around and it isn't a problem. The only thing I could see complaining about is if the MBTA takes forever to fix the damage. Also find it strange to keep repeating the $60 million figure, considering I would hope the driver's insurance is going to be on the hook for the cost of this. As for taking a single anecdote on the current on time performance- honestly I could buy it, but, I am pretty sure the T has actual data and numbers on the OTP for the lines using that bus way and not just a single random observance which is what should be looked at.

I mean all in all, yeah, that sucks it was already damaged, but go after the maniacs driving at 50 mph through the city and step up enforcement on that. Blaming the T is just bizarre.

.....or maybe not put the electrical box where it is exposed to the freaking idiots??????????

Cars crash in to buildings all the time, too, maybe we should clear all buildings from the city so that they are better for cars.

Electrical box..... not building. Equivalence??????? It's very simple to change and reinforce the location of an electrical box. Let's not get all dramatic now, Henry.

Very simply, it might be a prudent move, and one that could easily save some money, to simply think about not placing the electrical right next to the car lane at the APPROACH directional side. Or put more than just an 18 inch retaining wall around it? The taxpayers deserve a little cost intelligence there.

Last edited:
I think a few bollards could solve that problem. Well built reinforced bollards. If we want nice bus stops with lighting and arrival boards then we need electrical boxes nearby. Better on the island than totally blocking the sidewalk and still being in the crash zone for cars.

Also no transformer costs $60 million. The entire project cost about $10 million. https://www.masstransitmag.com/bus/...is expected,transit and active transportation.

Back