MBTA "Transformation" (Green Line, Red Line, & Orange Line Transformation Projects)

That's just payments on the 83-car order already underway for delivery starting later this year. One-and-done contract...there's no further options to exercise because Rotem is penned in by lack of Buy America compliance.

The next-next order was supposed to be an RFP for 181 bi-levels to displace all remaining single-levels. They've postponed that...probably because they need to sort out what they'll be ordering for EMU's before they can get a firm grasp on quantities and probable makes.
See, thats what I thought, but there are no fewer than 5 Commuter Rail Coach Procurement projects listed in this draft CIP.

Here's my understanding of the listed projects:
P0363: Original Order of 75 Hyundai Rotem BiLevels, built in PA ca 2013-2014. Don't know why its still here, but we know it and can exclude it.
Screenshot 2022-03-24 211602.jpg

P0893: 2019 Sole Source Supplemental Order from Hyundai Rotem of 80 cars, to be built in S. Korea and delivered 2022-2024, including 16 cars ordered through the SCR budget,. Later amended to 83 cars.
Screenshot 2022-03-24 211515.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-24 211942.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-24 211623.jpg

P1152: This is the one I was reading as an additional sole source procurement, similar to the 2019 order. The P11xx project number is consistent with other new projects proposed this year, rather than something carried forward from a prior year, and I can't match this up to any known car order in size or scope.
Screenshot 2022-03-24 211436.jpg

P0652: As you mention, the long awaited order / RFP they issued for 180-200 BiLevel Coaches, but the quantity projected has now been reduced to 100 coaches - which leads me to think that a certain quantity of need is captured above in P1152.
Screenshot 2022-03-24 212018.jpg

Remember...they want to get one other branch besides the D certified for running 2-car trains of super-stretched Type 10's so all of GLX can take advantage, meaning they need 225(?) ft. platforms. The E is the next-closest branch to achieving compliance with that, which is why this funding item precedes any B or C work. They're going to want to take the straightest path possible for achieving that, which means stop spacing will get all due priority and those too-close low-ridership intermediates are probably toast.

The B Branch is also getting a similarly titled project, to be funded with even more money overall but certainly its coverage area doesn't fully capture all the stations that would need extending to 225. As far as the E Branch is concerned... they did just do a crap-ton of full depth reconstruction on the street running segment. I doubt the tracks are moving an inch, but I would bet on Columbus Ave Style center running side platforms.
Screenshot 2022-03-24 214306.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, but the T's pathological hatred of wires and street running is outweighed by the federal political nightmare that visits them whenever they try and get rid of service to the VA Hospital.

Ooh I never thought about that before, that makes sense. I always kinda wondered why they got rid of all street running lines in the entire city, including most of the E branch to arborway, but having it end at the va hospital makes perfect sense.

Any E line reconstruction will involve electric wires over a public street and we've been told that just doesnt work. Curious.

Interestingly, most of the catenary poles still remain. The MBTA (or the City?) took many down on South Huntington, but they still litter the streetscape of Centre and South Streets. Rusting away.

6 weekend shutdowns announced on the Red Line between Harvard and Alewife, yet again for floating slab work:

April 2-3;
April 9-10;
April 30 - May 1;
May 7-8;
May 14-15; and
May 21-22.

Seeing Ari suggest single tracking between Harvard and Alewife for a week or two, and honestly, with how long this project is dragging, I'd be all for it. (They really should've done it last summer when WFH was still nearly in full-force.) The first shutdown over floating slabs took place in 2011. If you can only do limited segments at a time due to curing, expand the available time.

Like HelloBostonHi said, they were in there for 2 weeks in May, 2020. That was only 2 years ago. Why couldn't they get it right then? Never send a little boy to do a man's job. Buy quality once, or buy junk forever! I strongly applaude the work that they are doing, but as with choosing new equipment, they should try to fix it right the first time around so that it will last longer, instead of just putting bandaids or duct tape on the tunnel. This reminds me of the East & Hudson River tunnels, which were beaten up by Hurrican Sandy. You get what you pay for. :unsure:

Last edited:
Might be the wrong place to post this, but the Blue Line from Airport to Bowdoin will be closed for two weeks beginning Apr 2.

T Announces 2-Week Closure on the Blue Line’s Harbor Tunnel in Early April
While most transit riders’ attention on Monday was focused on the opening of the Green Line Extension, the T quietly posted an announcement on its website that the Blue Line between the Airport and downtown Boston will shut down from April 2 to April 14 to allow crews to replace 1,800 feet of track and upgrade other infrastructure in the tunnel under Boston Harbor.
https://mass.streetsblog.org/2022/0...-the-blue-lines-harbor-tunnel-in-early-april/

Official alert:
View attachment 22547
The BL Harbor Tunnel closure has been postponed to later this spring:

Yeah, but the T's pathological hatred of wires and street running is outweighed by the federal political nightmare that visits them whenever they try and get rid of service to the VA Hospital.
Except the VA might well be moving toward closing the facility, or at least dramatically scaling back services there. Let's hope that's not the only reason Heath St. service survives.

6 weekend shutdowns announced on the Red Line between Harvard and Alewife, yet again for floating slab work:

April 2-3;
April 9-10;
April 30 - May 1;
May 7-8;
May 14-15; and
May 21-22.

Seeing Ari suggest single tracking between Harvard and Alewife for a week or two, and honestly, with how long this project is dragging, I'd be all for it. (They really should've done it last summer when WFH was still nearly in full-force.) The first shutdown over floating slabs took place in 2011. If you can only do limited segments at a time due to curing, expand the available time.

Is this just going to be a yearly thing? I swear they started this shit 10 years ago

Each individual floating slab needs to be rebuilt from Harvard north to Alewife. Why the heck they can’t replace them with old school ballasted ties is a question for F-Line.

Each individual floating slab needs to be rebuilt from Harvard north to Alewife. Why the heck they can’t replace them with old school ballasted ties is a question for F-Line.

Floating slabs are, at least in theory, vibration dampening. If there's any sensitive lab or medical equipment around the tunnels, vibrations could be an issue.

Also, ties and ballast are bulkier than floating slabs. Every platform would have to be modified. And, while ballast is easier to maintain, it requires more overall maintainance than the slabs do.

4 full branch closures scheduled for the Green Line Train Protection System:
• B Branch (Boston College – Kenmore): June 20 - July 1
• C Branch (Cleveland Circle – Kenmore): July 11 - July 22
• E Branch (Heath St – Copley): August 6 - August 21
• D Branch (Riverside – Kenmore): September 24 - October 30

Public meeting on May 19: https://www.mbta.com/events/2022-05...e-train-protection-and-track-upgrades-virtual
Flyer with construction details and alternative services: https://cdn.mbta.com/sites/default/files/2022-04/2022-04-28-gltps-meeting-flyer-revised.pdf

That D shutdown is going to be a mess, especially if the Red Sox make the postseason. Too bad we're not seeing the return of Riverside-South Station trains like 1996.

Last edited:
That D shutdown is going to be a mess, especially if the Red Sox make the postseason. Too bad we're not seeing the return of Riverside-South Station trains like 1996.
Kenmore is closer to Fenway park than Fenway station on the D line.

It would help to add some trains on the commuter rail (lansdowne) though.

Back