MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

Re: Dr. Beverly Scott resigns

^ I love that you're just in a completely different universe from the rest of us...

Last edited:

This is a brave, brave move by Bev Scott.

I'm extremely disappointed that she's resigning but let's be real - Baker was halfway through writing his smoke-up-the-ass press release where he "demonstrates strong leadership" through firing Scott when this happened.

She's just taken that option off of the table. Baker now needs to find someone else to fill the job but he's also not able to distract from the problems with a sacrificial firing.

Realistically, he probably has one of his toadies already lined up and ready to go. Look forward to some toll company exec stepping into the role.

...we're all screwed...

^ I love that you're just in a completely different universe than the rest of us...

Busses -- I've spent my entire adult life dealing with design of instrumentation, experiments and processing tools, used to collect data and analyze it, in an attempt to understand complex systems of many types

My political views are my opinions and are clearly biased by my beliefs and I try to not bury my opinions -- e.g. Good Riddance to Patrick and his cronies

My technical evaluations for my clients or for my own interests are as unbiased as is humanly possible -- e.g. the problems with the system level management of the T and potential solutions

Aside from being plucky, was she any good? What concrete reforms did she introduce? Late night service? How do we know she was great or bound for greatness? David Gunn is the last transit administrator that I could point to who'd be worth hiring/firing over his personal influence over the systems he ran. Everyone else seems to mostly be captive of their context....I didn't see Dr. Scott smashing paradigms. So I don't see celebrating or bemoaning her loss.

Meanwhile, CityLab is pretty clear in believing that she left a mess in Atlanta, and credits her successor there with what it titles The Remarkable Turnaround of Atlanta Public Transit

Busses -- I've spent my entire adult life dealing with design of instrumentation, experiments and processing tools, used to collect data and analyze it, in an attempt to understand complex systems of many types

My political views are my opinions and are clearly biased by my beliefs and I try to not bury my opinions -- e.g. Good Riddance to Patrick and his cronies

My technical evaluations for my clients or for my own interests are as unbiased as is humanly possible -- e.g. the problems with the system level management of the T and potential solutions

I just love that you think efficiency and labor reforms are THE problems with the T and that the agency would be fixed if they could only be streamlined and restructure the workforce. That may well be part of the solution, but it's not the BE ALL END ALL. You get this tunnel vision over it. Step back and take a wider view.

This is a brave, brave move by Bev Scott.

I'm extremely disappointed that she's resigning but let's be real - Baker was halfway through writing his smoke-up-the-ass press release where he "demonstrates strong leadership" through firing Scott when this happened.

She's just taken that option off of the table. Baker now needs to find someone else to fill the job but he's also not able to distract from the problems with a sacrificial firing.

Realistically, he probably has one of his toadies already lined up and ready to go. Look forward to some toll company exec stepping into the role.

...we're all screwed...

Commute -- we may be screwed -- but the resignation of Scott was an act of cowardice or the reaction of a spoiled kid -- apparently she blew-off the MassDOT Board Meeting scheduled for today

If you bother to do the research you would find that just as Governor Baker said in his press conference -- he did not have the authority to fire Scott -- she was under contract until December 2015 and only the MassDOT Board could terminate the MBTA Director

from the Mass DOT website
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/BoardsCommittees/BoardofDirectors.aspx

A seven-member Board of Directors appointed by the Governor with expertise in transportation, finance and engineering will oversee the organization, while serving as the governing body of both MassDOT and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA), which will be part of MassDOT but will retain a separate legal existence. MassDOT will be administered by a Secretary of Transportation, appointed by the Governor to serve as Chief Executive Officer.

The organization oversees four new divisions: Highway, Mass Transit, Aeronautics and the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), in addition to an Office of Planning and Programming.
  • John R. Jenkins, Board Chair -- a former Massachusetts Turnpike Authority Board member -- President of West Insurance Agency, Inc.
  • Professor Andrew Whittle, ScD, P.E., -- geotechnical engineer -- Edmund K. Turner Professor of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
  • Janice Loux -- appointed by five Massachusetts Governors to serve on the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and is currently the longest serving board member. Appointed by Governor Deval Patrick, she now serves on the board of the newly merged Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) -- the daughter of an MBTA laborer and a hotel waitress -- organizer and activist in the Boston Hotel Workers Union Local 26. In 1997, she was elected as the first female president in the union’s 123-year history, and she was then elected for four additional terms.
  • Robin Chase -- founder and former CEO of Zipcar; Buzzcar, a carsharing marketplace in France; and GoLoco, an online ridesharing; Executive Chairman of Veniam 'Works, a vehicle mesh communications company; World Resources Institute Board; served on the National Advisory Council for Innovation & Entrepreneurship for the US Department of Commerce; the US Department of Transportation Intelligent Transportations System Program Advisory Committee; Massachusetts Governor’s Transportation Transition Working Group; and Boston Mayor's Wireless Task Force.
  • Joseph C. Bonfiglio -- Business Manager for the Massachusetts and Northern New England Laborers’ District Council
  • Dominic Blue -- Vice President and Assistant General Counsel of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company -- serves on the board of directors of the Greater Springfield YMCA, member of the finance committee
  • Stephanie Pollack, Secretary of Transportation -- appointed by Governor Baker to serve as Chief Executive Officer -- Secretary Pollack serves as an ex-officio member as prescribed by legislation passed in July 2012
All of the above directors except Secretary Pollack were appointed by Governor Patrick based on legislation signed by Governor Patrick in 2009
n June 2009, Governor Deval Patrick signed Chapter 25 of the Acts of 2009, "An Act Modernizing the Transportation Systems of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, (as amended by Chapter 26 of the "Act.") This landmark transportation reform legislation requires that the Commonwealth integrate transportation agencies and authorities into a new, streamlined Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), established by November 1, 2009.

The Massachusetts Department of Transportation is a merger of the Executive Office of Transportation and Public Works (EOT) and its divisions with the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority (MTA), the Massachusetts Highway Department (MHD), the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV), the Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission (MAC), and the Tobin Bridge, currently owned and operated by the Massachusetts Port Authority (MPA). In addition, the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and Regional Transit Authorities (RTA) are subject to oversight by the new organization.

The organization also assumed responsibility for many of the bridges and parkways currently operated by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR)....

Rail &Transit Division:
The Transit Division is responsible for all transit initiatives and oversees the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA) and all Regional Transit Authorities of the Commonwealth. The MassDOT Board of Directors serves as the governing body of the MBTA.

Here's the text of Secretary Pollack's report to the MassDOT Board today
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/Port...mittees/boardDirectors/board_report021115.pdf

A couple of highlights

looking forward to discussing important topics other than snow and winter weather, a subject which has dominated my first two weeks as Secretary......I am honored and I appreciate the faith and confidence that Governor Baker and Lieutenant Governor Polito have placed in me and I look forward to embarking on a search for new and better ways to meet the Commonwealth’s transportation needs, improve our customer service, foster economic growth, and to find more sustainable ways to carry out our mission.....

I know most folks already know, but I also want to recognize Frank DePaola, who is serving in a dual capacity as Highway Administrator and as MassDOT’s first-ever Chief Operating Officer. As we prepare MassDOT’s budget for fiscal year 2016, Frank and I and the entire senior staff team are working closely to continue and improve upon the process of
creating shared service departments used by both MassDOT and the MBTA and to streamline the operations of the previously disparate transportation entities into one MassDOT. We are also focusing on identifying specific performance goals and metrics and on improving critical aspects of MassDOT operations including asset management, capital budgeting and procurement and contract oversight. Some of these efforts will be reflected in the proposed MassDOT budget for fiscal year 2016, on which I will be able to report more at the March Board meeting.....

For me, the MBTA’s inability to provide its normal service is not the problem but a symptom of what may prove to be a much larger problem....

I believe this Board needs to revisit the question of whether the plans and budgets in place sufficiently prioritize the near-term needs to upgrade critical infrastructure and account for the real costs of running the system that exists until such time as both the rolling stock and critical infrastructure can be upgraded....

The events of the past two weeks have been frustrating for everyone who relies on the MBTA to get to work or school or a Bruins game and have shaken the confidence of MBTA passengers in the system. They need to know that, once the post-storm recovery is complete, their bus or train will show up on schedule and in safe working condition. Employers need to know that their workers who use the MBTA will be able to get to work.
Businesses need to be able to count on the customers that largely disappeared yesterday, when the streets of Boston were eerily empty largely as a result of the MBTA shutdown. And the taxpayers of Massachusetts – who fund more than half of the T budget through sales taxes, motor vehicle taxes and contract assistance from the General Fund – need to know that their resources are being well spent, not just to recover from this winter’s unprecedented effects on an aging system but to ensure that the MBTA will be able to provide reliable transit service even as we await the delivery of the much-needed new Red and Orange line vehicles.

Sounds fairly fair and balanced as I read it

Commute -- we may be screwed -- but the resignation of Scott was an act of cowardice or the reaction of a spoiled kid -- apparently she blew-off the MassDOT Board Meeting scheduled for today

If you bother to do the research you would find that just as Governor Baker said in his press conference -- he did not have the authority to fire Scott -- she was under contract until December 2015 and only the MassDOT Board could terminate the MBTA Director

Bother to do research please. Dr Scott attended & presented at said Board Meeting.

Aside from being plucky, was she any good? What concrete reforms did she introduce? Late night service? How do we know she was great or bound for greatness? David Gunn is the last transit administrator that I could point to who'd be worth hiring/firing over his personal influence over the systems he ran. Everyone else seems to mostly be captive of their context....I didn't see Dr. Scott smashing paradigms. So I don't see celebrating or bemoaning her loss.

Meanwhile, CityLab is pretty clear in believing that she left a mess in Atlanta, and credits her successor there with what it titles The Remarkable Turnaround of Atlanta Public Transit

I agree with you: personally, I don't know what things she actually did or didn't do as head of the T. Like many, I was entertained by her spirit at the press conference yesterday, but this means nothing as to her management skills. I confess - I know nothing of whether she was a good or a bad manager, but it seems that most of the people crying out their support for her on this board right now have their support based largely on a combination of vicarious outrage via her press conference and anti-Charlie Baker sentiment, rather than stating any concrete achievements she has done.

Let me share an anecdote: long before North Point got built, I rode my bike (back then, a mountain bike) through the property, and somehow got through the fence into that MBTA yard - you know, the big purple maintenance building. It was getting into the evening in summer, and outside the building were standing a group of about a dozen goonish men, literally cartoonishly union guys, the kind you see when they show the lunks beating up the anti-Vietnam hippies, etc... I was just a curious teenager about the train yards but when I tried to ask them what went on here they all started making mocking, rude remarks about my bike and laughing. Just a bunch of fat guys doing absolutely nothing, standing around and then insulting someone who came by. This is my perception of one important aspect of the back recesses of the MBTA.

Whighlander gets crucified for his (at times somewhat inflammatory) remarks about the T, but if you read the news and between the lines, and have lived in Boston and know the system (my dad - journalist x 40 yrs, mom - in city then state govt off and on for same duration), you have to acknowledge that the political graft and glut and is a severe, severe problem. No, it's not the whole problem, but it is an ENORMOUS one, and the T is just rife with these issues. They really do need to be fixed, and from the perspective of the taxpayer, it's not fair to demand more money to support a broken agency. I do believe this - and be assured, I am all for more tax dollars to fund transit expansion. But the systemic issues need to be fixed before you can argue for more money. Plain and simple. I dont see this as much on this forum, but in Mass., oftentimes merely raising this issue gets people flipping out and levying accusations of conservatism, reactionary, etc... as if you're not allowed to point this out. I'm holding my own opinion on Baker because I have yet to see what he will do, but against my personal inclination I loved how Romney took on Bulger and Amorello and the Turnpike Authority (before he started flying off to SC while still the gov'r to bash his own state) and am hopeful that Baker can be a financial technocrat regarding govt reform as well.

Regarding the T's debt, the other arm of the problem, there's no reason in my mind that this cannot be fixed in parallel with the waste and glut. It's stupid that the Big Did debt got put on the T, and righting this wrong is somewhat separate from actually giving truly "new" funds to the T.

Regarding Scott, I'm not happy she just resigned, because it certainly will allow her to just be the personification of a problem that is deeper than any one man. But I don't see her as a hero, either, mainly because I really know nothing about what she's done about the T. She could be a huge loss - maybe, maybe not. But supporting her or being glad she's gone, merely because you hate Deval or Charlie, isn't really very logical. And we need some serious logic in our state's politics.

That's the part that's bothered me the most, really. That they didn't talk. Is there some kind of intermediary (EOT?) What's up with that?

The MBTA GM is also technically the head of MassDOT's Rail & Transit Division and reports to the Secretary of Transportation.

Her most positive influence has been promoting those that care about service as much as possible over those with seniority. The culture change in the past two plus years has been impressive. 3 years ago the main issue wasn't really just debt & lack of funding alone. Today it is. Hopefully, all those Ops people don't leave & retire as a group now, would be a huge shame.

FK4 said:
Whighlander gets crucified for his (at times somewhat inflammatory) remarks about the T, but if you read the news and between the lines, and have lived in Boston and know the system (my dad - journalist x 40 yrs, mom - in city then state govt off and on for same duration), you have to acknowledge that the political graft and glut and is a severe, severe problem. No, it's not the whole problem, but it is an ENORMOUS one, and the T is just rife with these issues. They really do need to be fixed, and from the perspective of the taxpayer, it's not fair to demand more money to support a broken agency. I do believe this - and be assured, I am all for more tax dollars to fund transit expansion. But the systemic issues need to be fixed before you can argue for more money. Plain and simple. I dont see this as much on this forum, but in Mass., oftentimes merely raising this issue gets people flipping out and levying accusations of conservatism, reactionary, etc... as if you're not allowed to point this out. I'm holding my own opinion on Baker because I have yet to see what he will do, but against my personal inclination I loved how Romney took on Bulger and Amorello and the Turnpike Authority (before he started flying off to SC while still the gov'r to bash his own state) and am hopeful that Baker can be a financial technocrat regarding govt reform as well.

Yes, it's a big issue. But I can't stand the one track mindedness of those who have a hard-on to bust those unions. Pension and labor reform will be part of any MBTA reform package. It's just politically the only way to get it done. Bring graft and excesses to light, by all means, but do the same for other issues. It just seems narrow-minded to write volumes on one problem alone to the neglect of others, all the while tossing in political snark.

^ Agree totally.

Sad. She tried to get the MBTA running, but the infrastructure is so bad. I might not know all the facts, but is she resigning because she is underfire by the Baker adminstration, public pressure, free-will, or maybe a internal cover-up of some corruption?

Also, Does Baker's Proposal to cut the MBTA's funding by 40 million dollars have anything to do with this or was that proposal a gesture to somehow "cut waste to improve MBTA" for fiscal reasons or some agenda by him for small government policies?

Thirdly, What can the MBTA do from here....now that she resigned....so the MBTA be improved in the future?

Sad. She tried to get the MBTA running, but the infrastructure is so bad. I might not know all the facts, but is she resigning because she is underfire by the Baker adminstration, public pressure, free-will, or maybe a internal cover-up of some corruption?

Likely Baker told her to go, or she's peace'ing out before the political situation deteriorates any further. My bet is the latter.

Also, Does Baker's Proposal to cut the MBTA's funding by 40 million dollars have anything to do with this or was that proposal a gesture to somehow "cut waste to improve MBTA" for fiscal reasons or some agenda by him for small government policies?

Baker's $40M cut to DOT ($14M from the MBTA) is to close a mid-year budget deficit that is effecting many state departments. The cut is mostly a hiring freeze and administrative re-shuffling. I doubt it has anything to do with her resignation

Thirdly, What can the MBTA do from here....now that she resigned....so the MBTA be improved in the future?

The MBTA can't do a ton on its own. Any new GM will be in essentially the same position Bev Scott is in. The legislature needs to act.

I love watching him twist in the wind with these developments. She helped to oversee transit and infrastructure upgrades with the T.

I have a friend who helps run the T's social media campaign, and even she said that the T is fucked beyond belief. And we would get into arguments about the T, and my friend was the T's most ardent supporter. Not anymore after this month.

Regarding Scott, I'm not happy she just resigned, because it certainly will allow her to just be the personification of a problem that is deeper than any one man. But I don't see her as a hero, either, mainly because I really know nothing about what she's done about the T. She could be a huge loss - maybe, maybe not. But supporting her or being glad she's gone, merely because you hate Deval or Charlie, isn't really very logical. And we need some serious logic in our state's politics.

My feelings precisely. I do think she was being scapegoated by Baker who is completely failing to engage with the reality of the T's physical degradation, but I don't think she did much to improve that degradation (or customer service for that matter--many drivers/conductors are still almost comically uncivil and uneducated). I also think resigning immediately after her silly "this ain't my first rodeo...my back is broad...this ain't about me...I'm so proud of my staff" speech shows her up to be either pretty cynical or unstable. She kept the plates spinning, though, and that undoubtedly takes some talent, but maybe we will get someone who can cut through some of the politics without becoming a part of them.

Re: MBTA & Regular Driving May Be Shut Down During Coming Snowstorm!

It is going to get WORST before it gets better!

As the old saying goes; You ain't seen nothing yet! :eek:

I wonder just who will Baker hire to replace her. She leaves on April 11th.

Back