MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

Re: Dr. Beverly Scott resigns

It's a jump off the Titanic. I don't blame her, but seriously mourn her departure. She cares. She's the only one who has truly cared.

The MBTA Board of Directors just gave her their strong and unanimous endorsement a few hours ago. Weird.

What's the over/under on Baker finally talking to her before she's gone?
That's the part that's bothered me the most, really. That they didn't talk. Is there some kind of intermediary (EOT?) What's up with that?

Live look at Beverly Scott...

fuck-you-half-baked1.gif

I don't know can you blame her? Who wants to put up with this bullshit between the weather, media and politicians?

That's the part that's bothered me the most, really. That they didn't talk. Is there some kind of intermediary (EOT?) What's up with that?

The Secretary of Transportation is the Governor's emissary to the MBTA's board, and she just gave Scott a ringing endorsement.

The Secretary of Transportation is the Governor's emissary to the MBTA's board, and she just gave Scott a ringing endorsement.
Who calls whom when deciding on things like travel bans and emergency system closings?

Arlington said:
Who calls whom when deciding on things like travel bans and emergency system closings?

Based on Baker's presser yesterday, everything between the Governor and the MBTA seems to have been channeled through Pollack.

And it seems like there was some stuff lost in translation between Scott, Pollack, and Baker with regards to what would and wouldn't be operating and when. Which is beyond absurd, and gets to the heart of how ridiculous it is that Baker didn't communicate with Scott directly.

This is a shock, though I'm not surprised. I felt it coming! So sad. :eek:

Obviously there's a lot more to this story, given the inconsistencies between the MBTA BoD vote of confidence and Scott's resignation. My immediate thought is that Baker was pissed off by Scott's presser yesterday and told her to GTFO, but who the hell knows.

Re: MBTA & Regular Driving May Be Shut Down During Coming Snowstorm!

Part of the Red Line from Braintree Station to Dorchester will remain closed for the remainder of the week - resuming service in that area on Sunday.

Bus replacement service will stay in place during that time.

It has commuters fuming! :eek:

Part of the Red Line from Braintree Station to Dorchester will remain closed for the remainder of the week - resuming service in that area on Sunday.

Bus replacement service will stay in place during that time.

It has commuters fuming! :eek:

Right after the next storm? Yeah right.

According to WBUR:

In a statement, the board’s chairman, John Jenkins, said he is “stunned by the resignation of Dr. Scott.”

He added:

Be clear, this Board has had no discussions at any time about her tenure as General Manager. We hoped and expected that she would fulfill her three year contract, which ends in December of this year. I want to thank Dr. Scott for her skillful and committed leadership over the last 26 months, and wish her the very best as she moves on to her next challenge.

Either Baker told her to fuck off, or she's just decided to fuck off and let us live with our depressing lack of foresight.

It could have also been done as an FU to Baker. Unless he was planning on replacing her for a while, he's going to have to scramble to find a replacement.

It could have also been done as an FU to Baker. Unless he was planning on replacing her for a while, he's going to have to scramble to find a replacement.

Seems more like a fuck you to the entire Commonwealth. "You dug your own damn grave, I sure as hell am not staying round to jump in with you." She did dig Baker in her resignation letter though.

That's just going to throw things back even further.

And they're talking about yet another whopper of a nor'easter for Saturday & Sunday, which could again cause massive delays lasting into the middle of the week! :eek:

Last edited:

Still, I'm wondering if she was afraid of what Baker might say to her in that meeting, which may not happen now.

Even though he already said that the deplorable incidents that have taken place over the last few weeks were totally unacceptable.

Still, I'm wondering if she was afraid of what Baker might say to her in that meeting, which may not happen now.

Even though he already said that the deplorable incidents that have taken place over the last few weeks were totally unacceptable.

Make no mistake, my friend. She's not afraid. I'd still bet on the meeting happening. It's really Baker who is not going to like what she has to say, not the other way around.

Even though he already said that the deplorable incidents that have taken place over the last few weeks were unacceptable.

Occasionally you need a leader -- that seems to be a concept Deval never understood he stuffed the entire Commonwealth with a mediocracy [some might say his administration was affirmative action for incompetents]

Typically, the system will tolerate an increase in inefficiency and noise -- but under stress the problems just multiply and you have Big-Time Failures

From today's Herald [and not denied by the T] with my emphasis by bolding

MBTA stopped reporting repair needs

Off the Rails: MBTA special report

Wednesday, February 11, 2015
By: Matt Stout
MBTA officials, blaming dismal performance on old subway cars and buses, have failed to file reports detailing the troubled system’s needs for at least five years — and have yet to get a new database up and running to track maintenance costs, the Herald has learned.

The last time the public got an updated report about the T’s maintenance backlog was in 2009, when former John Hancock President and CEO David D’Alessandro took an independent look at the T’s aging system and estimated it would cost more than $3 billion to fix it...

T officials admit that a new database that would detail the so-called “state of good repair” costs — created with the help of a 
$1 million federal grant — is still not functional, even though former Gov. Deval Patrick’s administration got funds for it several years ago.

With the T collapsing in recent weeks under the weight of a series of historic snowstorms, Baker has called its delays unacceptable, saying Monday that it’s “pretty clear that they need a new operating plan.”

A source close to the administration went further yesterday, saying without data on what needs to be maintained, it’s difficult to create plans to keep the T running before any new cars arrive, which for the beleaguered Red and Orange lines won’t be until 2019 at the earliest.

“The T has been figuring out how to survive day to day. And under the last administration, the plan was for 10 to 15 years in the future. That’s good, but having done that, and with no current plans to acquire any new vehicles ... for the next four years, how are they planning to run the system during that time period?” one source said, summing up the Baker administration’s frustrations.

“Knowing how old they are, how could you not have a game plan?”

Anecdotal stories about the T make it sound like the old Pentagon budgets of the $400 hammers and $ 600 toilet seat days -- it seems that some departments in the T would buy maintenance parts without any good sense of MTBF or records of past failures and so they didn't know what might be needed -- and then at the end of the Fiscal Year they'd surplus anything which was unused to make sure the particular maintenance budget didn't get cut

Sounds like its time for a top to bottom independent review -- I wonder if Dave D’Alessandro is available?

Back