MBTA Winter 2015: Failure and Recovery

Re: MBTA & Regular Driving May Be Shut Down During Coming Snowstorm!

As I mentioned in another thread, those "lead sleds" are weighted down to try to avoid derailments, however the size of that snow pile is enormous and should have been reduced with a front end loader before hitting it with the plow.

That was my impression too. That pile looks ridiculous and filled with ice chunks. Shouldn't be hitting that with a train.

Re: Dr. Beverly Scott resigns

http://www.whdh.com/story/28139172/gov-baker-done-with-excuses-for-commuter-rail-issues

""I'm sort of done with excuses, okay, I want to hear what people are actually going to do to get the riding public back to the point where people can depend on and rely on the service," said Gov. Charlie Baker.

Baker had what he called a "robust discussion" with the operators of the commuter rail, a french company called Keolis, which has offices on Atlantic Avenue. Keolis' contract to run the commuter rail began last summer."

I never knew that Commuter Rail was operated by a private company. Though, a lot of people want privatization to make the system run better.

Regarding GLX: that project is not only essential to Somerville.

"Essential" might be overdoing it. Somerville is already the "it" municiplaity in Greater Boston with housing costs even in the less desirable corners of town beyond reach of most homebuyers. Even Union - the GLX station that makes the most sense - the neighborhood has already transformed into a hotspot.

GLX will have benefits for green line capacity between Lechmere and Govt Ctr, but it's not clear we need new light rail stations in places like Gilman Sq or Lowell Street in order to get it, when there are literally dozens of other neighborhoods that could use the investment to address real economic development or transit capacity concerns.

"I'm sort of done with excuses, okay, I want to hear what people are actually going to do to get the riding public back to the point where people can depend on and rely on the service," said Gov. Charlie Baker.
Ironic from a guy who made excuses for not talking to Scott for weeks, and who has no plan of his own.

Agreed. Though, this problem is the result of balanced budget amendments. Nobody votes for more revenues politically because it looks bad, even though businesses do occasionally try to raise revenues.

I believe every state except VT has some form of a balanced budget requirement. If states could deficit spend in perpetuity, the feds would be in a much more difficult position than they are even now. Some flexibility might be better for times of crisis, but I don't really think that the states should be able to carry structural deficits with no restrictions at all as the federal govt can.

"Essential" might be overdoing it. Somerville is already the "it" municiplaity in Greater Boston with housing costs even in the less desirable corners of town beyond reach of most homebuyers. Even Union - the GLX station that makes the most sense - the neighborhood has already transformed into a hotspot.

Arguably this is being spurred on more and more by the GLX itself. I'm sure Somerville/Union would have taken off even if the GLX never existed, but the anticipation of the GLX has certainly contributed to the through-the-roof property values in Somerville.

GLX will have benefits for green line capacity between Lechmere and Govt Ctr, but it's not clear we need new light rail stations in places like Gilman Sq or Lowell Street in order to get it, when there are literally dozens of other neighborhoods that could use the investment to address real economic development or transit capacity concerns.

In an academic sense, you're right. But you missed my explanation above for why it happened the way it did. Local advocacy by Somerville plus the relative simplicity of the project compared to other neighborhoods. Plus the benefit to the GL's overall health as others have mentioned.

I'm not sure what your beef is. It's impossible to redirect the federal dollars to other projects. Unless you're advocating the outright cancellation of GLX, I don't really see your point.

I saw that video of them using that plow on UHub this morning and my first thought was "How long will that take to derail?" Even if that sled is full of cement, it still seems to light.

I have heard people say that the Green Line Expansion is a waste of money and the real focus should be maintaining the current system. Should we just delay the expansion and divert some costs to maintenance? Just wondering.

I have heard people say that the Green Line Expansion is a waste of money and the real focus should be maintaining the current system. Should we not build the expansion? Just wondering.

Dude... the whole page has been about this. A bunch of us have gone into why this is a beneficial project for the whole system.

People get caught in this trap of putting maintenance and expansion in separate boxes that compete with one another for funds. Most expansions are an investment that help operations.

GLX includes a new, large yard facility for the GL. That, plus an expansion will help balance out the Green Line's headways in a major way. Red-Blue is an expansion, but it will also help balance transfers across the entire system, which will make everything run more smoothly.

Expansion can't be thought of as a competitor to maintenance. But expansion needs to be smart. That means not spending big bucks on projects that aren't going to improve the system in meaningful ways.

If you're looking for an expansion that should be axed as designed, look at South Coast Rail.

Dude... the whole page has been about this. A bunch of us have gone into why this is a beneficial project for the whole system.

People get caught in this trap of putting maintenance and expansion in separate boxes that compete with one another for funds. Most expansions are an investment that help operations.

GLX includes a new, large yard facility for the GL. That, plus an expansion will help balance out the Green Line's headways in a major way. Red-Blue is an expansion, but it will also help balance transfers across the entire system, which will make everything run more smoothly.

Expansion can't be thought of as a competitor to maintenance. But expansion needs to be smart. That means not spending big bucks on projects that aren't going to improve the system in meaningful ways.

If you're looking for an expansion that should be axed as designed, look at South Coast Rail.

Yep. Expansions do increase ridership and revenues, if done properly with demand already there.

In an academic sense, you're right. But you missed my explanation above for why it happened the way it did. Local advocacy by Somerville plus the relative simplicity of the project compared to other neighborhoods. Plus the benefit to the GL's overall health as others have mentioned.

I'm not sure what your beef is. It's impossible to redirect the federal dollars to other projects. Unless you're advocating the outright cancellation of GLX, I don't really see your point.
I get your explanation for why it happened. But many here (and elsewhere) delude themselves into thinking GLX is some completely rational and responsible investment in over $2B. Maybe it is compared to other, less rational and less responsible investments. But that doesn’t turn GLX into an inherently great project that Somerville (or the region) can’t live without.

In the face of much needed capital (and operations) funding needs, spending over $1B in state money (since the feds are only covering 40%) on a project whose main justification is it was politically the easiest place to expand may not be a winning argument with the broader population of taxpayers and legislators. One can imagine them being more moved by arguments like "the corridor is depressed", or "we can't handle the demand on buses". Neither is the case here.

Yup, third rail gap -- trains leap the gap. Same in LI. The signalling system is interesting -- there's a signal that tells the train operator when the gates are down. The "L" trains are pretty lightweight and nimble -- almost like they're streetcar replacements -- probably to get around the curves in the "Loop." Those gates must go down every 5 minutes or more, and on pretty busy roads too. Meanwhile we can't get 15-minute frequencies on the Grand Junction because "oh no, Mass Ave!" Sigh.

Regarding GLX: that project is not only essential to Somerville it's also essential to the entire Green Line. So I was glad to see that the Pioneer Institute mostly focused on the boondoggle commuter rail expansions. It's really true that the MBTA has sacrificed the well-being of the rapid-transit core in favor of ridiculous, almost useless commuter rail expansions like Greenbush and soon-to-be SCR.

They produce great arcing shows in the Winter...

[youtube]s6ZKIsUYM2s[/youtube]

[youtube]ySXxpTIlfZY[/youtube]

One can imagine them being more moved by arguments like "the corridor is depressed"
I think you're either forgetting or underestimating the situation in Somerville pre-GLX announcement. It was A) depressed, and B) had a pre-existing ROW that would be cheap to build on. That's basically criteria A and criteria B by which all other projects should be judged. The only issue with it now is costs ballooning due to political reasons, but that's completely separate from the original quality of the project. If they had kept to their original time line, and fought the asinine urge to build palace style stations, then the project would be as great as the day it was proposed.

I saw that video of them using that plow on UHub this morning and my first thought was "How long will that take to derail?" Even if that sled is full of cement, it still seems to light.

I forget what the total weight is, but the axle load is about the same as the regular streetcar pushing it, that would put it in the 20,000-30,000 pound range (about a third of the 86,000 pound Type 7).

Am on Orange Line Northbound. Got on at DTX. Keytar Bear was playing on the platform. Standing in last car by cab door. Could hear radio.
"Attention drivers, north and southbound to and from Oak Grove is now open!"
A few minutes later a very excited announcement came over the PA and a cheer went up throughout the train.
Thanks Keytar Bear!
(And all the folks clearing the tracks ;) )

GLX builds the yard and orders the cars needed for 3 car trains on the D&E (and maybe more). Probably $400m of the base cost and $200m of the contingency ('cause the takings are taking too long). That is more like core capacity improvements (cheaper tha infill on a per rider basis) and so is $200m for new Lechmere & replacing the steel viaduct sections. Something like 1/3 of GLX is densification rather the linear extension.

So the Boston political leadership thinks we need to scrape the asphalt clean so not even a flake remains...and then put all that snow on the sidewalk and rail lines screwing over anyone not in a car?

Wow.

The 1950s called, they want their Mayor back. What an absolute joke.

I never knew that Commuter Rail was operated by a private company. Though, a lot of people want privatization to make the system run better.

Technically it's not privatized. Keolis runs the day to day ops for the MBTA and is responsible for the maintenance of the lines and rolling stock. Technically MBTA commuter rail personnel are employed by Keolis. They do not own the rolling stock, rail lines or stations. Those are owned entirely by the MBTA.

The plan:

https://twitter.com/GarrettQuinn/status/568192349567741952

B-Kf5hVCYAAQ_pA.jpg:large

Bus shuttles running between BC and PC right now. It's a start. I just saw a LOT of heavy equipment (6+ dump tracks, two heavy loaders) working on Harvard Ave station environs. Maybe something is happening finally.

Problem is that dumping all the Green Line passengers at PC is going to completely overload the 57 bus. It's gonna be a shitshow until they finally get trains running to PC.

Back