MCCA Hotels: Aloft & Element | 371-401 D Street | South Boston

in data's first photo, you can see an elevated walkway extending from the front of the BCEC to the World Trade Center.

That's not a walkway. That's an actual street, with sidewalks on either side.

Not to speak ill of the neighborhood (my great-grandfather's sister lived down there someplace), but at the very least a long street of triple-deckers screams "there's nothing down here" to an out-of-towner, especially with Seaport Boulevard beckoning from the opposite direction.

Can't argue with that, and for the most part there isn't much down there for an out-of-towner today. Great opportunity though for moderate priced, and possibly (although growing extinct in Boston) independent restaurants to open in what has to be a cheaper rental district. People find retaurants by searching Yelp, and they will explore to a certain degree. Plus, as mentioned the corner of West Broadway and D is only a 10 min walk from these hotels. Not to mention they would be walking past West Square and several brand new 800k+ condos.. Not the "triple-decker" side of town your referring to.

That's not a walkway. That's an actual street, with sidewalks on either side.
"World Trade Center Ave" to be specific. It's quite wide and awkward.

Map: Link
I stand corrected. I've been on it several times, usually going to the Seaport Hotel for a day event, but it's so elevated and lonely it didn't click in my head when I posted that it's an actual street.

Looks like they are still placing precast piles here.

592sxJp.jpg

I was surprised to see the elevator shaft for one of these two hotels was made up of ... cinder blocks? You don't use precast concrete or something like that?

qDQt6Dpl.jpg

I was surprised to see the elevator shaft for one of these two hotels was made up of ... cinder blocks? You don't use precast concrete or something like that?

qDQt6Dpl.jpg

Using CMUs for shafts is typical for that height. That's standard in this kind of construction. My 5-story wood-framed apartment building in Chelsea, built in 2011, also has a CMU elevator shaft. The new Marriott TownePlace Suites on Eastern Ave also has one.

Don't be surprised if you see a steel frame ground floor and wood frame above on this hotel either.

Using CMUs for shafts is typical for that height. That's standard in this kind of construction. My 5-story wood-framed apartment building in Chelsea, built in 2011, also has a CMU elevator shaft. The new Marriott TownePlace Suites on Eastern Ave also has one.

Don't be surprised if you see a steel frame ground floor and wood frame above on this hotel either.

Will this be 5 or 6 stories? Is it true that wood can only be used for new structures maxing out at 5 stories?

I realize now, those aren't elevator shafts, they are staircases.

Back