Meadow Glen Mall Redevelopment | Medford

Wegman's positions themselves as upscale, and so I suspect you have answered your own question: Accepting your premise that Shaws was unshopped-at because it was too expensive, suggests that Wegman's would be scared off from the Meadow Glen area--not wanting to risk similarly "overshooting" the market. They are probably more comfortable in (or indistinguishably close) a town with a better-matched demograpic (Melrose? Winchester? Cambridge?).

The problem with Shaw's is and continues to be that it's too expensive for what it offers. It offers Stop & Shop products at Whole Foods prices. The market for Shaw's/Stop & Shop/Market Basket and the market for Whole Foods/Wegman's are different with some overlap. I regularly shop at Trader Joe's, Shaw's and Whole Foods, many times on the same trip (hitting the three near the Pru) and Shaw's is usually the most expensive of the three for day-to-day non specialty products.

The only place that is busy at the Meadow Glen Mall is the Old Country Buffett.
This is a great location for something but I don't care for those renderings.

The problem with Shaw's is and continues to be that it's too expensive for what it offers. It offers Stop & Shop products at Whole Foods prices. The market for Shaw's/Stop & Shop/Market Basket and the market for Whole Foods/Wegman's are different with some overlap. I regularly shop at Trader Joe's, Shaw's and Whole Foods, many times on the same trip (hitting the three near the Pru) and Shaw's is usually the most expensive of the three for day-to-day non specialty products.

Trader Joe's would be an interesting option at this location. So would H-Mart (asian grocery store). Neither would really be tuned into the walkable demographics, but there's obviously a need for groceries here and probably something that defies traditional categories.

There isn't much in the way of "walkable demographics" here. The nearest residential area, South Medford, is across I-93 and the Mystic River, not a pleasant walk.

There isn't much in the way of "walkable demographics" here. The nearest residential area, South Medford, is across I-93 and the Mystic River, not a pleasant walk.

I'm picturing the neighbors to the north, on either side of Spring St. Here's a 3/4mile radius map, which ordinarily might be considered a big radius for true walkability, but then I'm always surprised by how far people walk to get to the Target in Everett.

Market Basket running out of money? Ha! They just paid $4,500,000 for a site in Littleton and are progressing in Waltham. Market Basket is killing Shaw's. I'm shocked the store in Cedarville (Plymouth) is still open. MB has forced S&S out in New Hampshire and is beating Wal-Mart at its own game.

The MGM has been a dead mall walking for years. Its too bad it could not go back to being a drive in. Any redevelopment of the site should consider the Parkway streetscape. Bring it up to the frontage with parking in the back. You have a new 4-story apartment building going up across the street with believe it or not, many of the buildings along the Parkway right up along the street wall, albeit with a 1940's developed suburban industrial pattern.

So if they aren't out of money, why can't they finish and open that store in Revere? I like Market Basket, but their failure to complete there is worrisome.

Market Basket running out of money? Ha! They just paid $4,500,000 for a site in Littleton and are progressing in Waltham. Market Basket is killing Shaw's. I'm shocked the store in Cedarville (Plymouth) is still open. MB has forced S&S out in New Hampshire and is beating Wal-Mart at its own game.

It's funny how the Market Basket & Demoulas family has been trying to oust the CEO Arthur Demoulas especially now that he has Shaws and Stop N Shop heading for bankruptcy. This guy should get CEO of the year.

So if they aren't out of money, why can't they finish and open that store in Revere? I like Market Basket, but their failure to complete there is worrisome.

The Market Basket situation is an extremely complex family dynamic and proves a good test case for how succesful family businesses can run into trouble when differing factions of the family are on different pages when their parents/aunts/uncles pass on.

There are two factions of the Demoulas family - the faction behind Arthur T - the aggressive, long time and beloved (by his employees) CEO of the company - and the faction behind Arthur S., who is challenging Arthur T's management. These two factions have fought for years - mostly over accusations that Arthur T' side of the family had deprived Arthur S's side of the family of their fair share of the company's profits and ownership.

The Revere store is part of this tug of war. The store is complete. Construction is finished and the store is fully racked and signed - inside and out. In fact, some product had started arriving for stocking when the plug was pulled. Basically, Arthur S. put the store on hold when he wrestled control of the company's executive board last fall. The stated reason for doing this centered on accusations that Arthur T was entering into lease agreements with a real estate company linked to his wife's family, who wouldbuild the Revere, Waltham, and their planned stores in Plymouth and Attleboro. The issues have been resolved in Waltham and Attleboro, but still remain in Revere and Plymouth, so those stores are on hold, for now. It's not at all related to Market Basket's cash flow, insomuch as they have plenty of cash, but Arthur S. has so far refused to release the funds for the purposes of opening that store.

My read on this situation based on my own experiences and talking with others in the industry is that Arthur S.'s side of the family would like to "cash out" of their side - or if necessary - the entire business and move on. They've really never been involved in the day-to-day operations of the company and as far as I can tell, aren't really interested in running a grocery store. However, Arthur T's side is very happy to keep running the business. The problem is they would have to take on massive debt in order to buy the other side of the family out and Market Basket has a strict business model that is based on having little or no debt.

The whole thing is a mess and nobody really knows how it will end. It's amazing/sad to see a company completely trounce their competition purely on the basis of sound business practices and good customer service - only to see their gains jeopardized by family members who can't get along. However, it's something that is all too common in second and third generation family businesses.

The Market Basket situation is an extremely complex family dynamic and proves a good test case for how succesful family businesses can run into trouble when differing factions of the family are on different pages when their parents/aunts/uncles pass on.

There are two factions of the Demoulas family - the faction behind Arthur T - the aggressive, long time and beloved (by his employees) CEO of the company - and the faction behind Arthur S., who is challenging Arthur T's management. These two factions have fought for years - mostly over accusations that Arthur T' side of the family had deprived Arthur S's side of the family of their fair share of the company's profits and ownership.

The Revere store is part of this tug of war. The store is complete. Construction is finished and the store is fully racked and signed - inside and out. In fact, some product had started arriving for stocking when the plug was pulled. Basically, Arthur S. put the store on hold when he wrestled control of the company's executive board last fall. The stated reason for doing this centered on accusations that Arthur T was entering into lease agreements with a real estate company linked to his wife's family, who wouldbuild the Revere, Waltham, and their planned stores in Plymouth and Attleboro. The issues have been resolved in Waltham and Attleboro, but still remain in Revere and Plymouth, so those stores are on hold, for now. It's not at all related to Market Basket's cash flow, insomuch as they have plenty of cash, but Arthur S. has so far refused to release the funds for the purposes of opening that store.

My read on this situation based on my own experiences and talking with others in the industry is that Arthur S.'s side of the family would like to "cash out" of their side - or if necessary - the entire business and move on. They've really never been involved in the day-to-day operations of the company and as far as I can tell, aren't really interested in running a grocery store. However, Arthur T's side is very happy to keep running the business. The problem is they would have to take on massive debt in order to buy the other side of the family out and Market Basket has a strict business model that is based on having little or no debt.

The whole thing is a mess and nobody really knows how it will end. It's amazing/sad to see a company completely trounce their competition purely on the basis of sound business practices and good customer service - only to see their gains jeopardized by family members who can't get along. However, it's something that is all too common in second and third generation family businesses.
Attleboro is ready to open in March. Littleton is progressing. Athol is up in the air.

One of the things that I have to give Market Basket credit for is that fact that the new and/or remodeled stores are much nicer and they have more options in terms of healthier foods.

What raises red flags is that while the Managers share in the profit margins, the High School students are exploited for cheap labor. It explains why the prices are so low, because of the kids who work for next to nothing. I was out in Fitchburg for a meeting, and had stopped to grab some stuff at the MB there. One of the checkout girls was in tears because she was given an ultimatum by her boss (The jackoff in the Red Coat). Either drop out of High School, or get fired. She cried, "I have school, field hockey, homework and SAT Prep." The manager responded in his Mass accent, "Well, then turn in yah coat and theahs the doah. We need yah heah from open tah close."

I was appalled. It's one thing for HS kid to work a minimum wage job, but this took the cake.

I said this a while back, but between the SS in Malden Cntr, the SS on Riverside, the SS on the Fellsway, the SS just over the line in Somerville, BJs on the Fellsway, Whole Foods, Everett's Target & Costco, Roberto's in South Medford, and all the corner stores, I'm really not so surprised that Shaw's (just like the Stoneham Shaw's) couldn't hang.
Also...folks are willing to travel to get to a Market Basket. Chelsea's draws from far and wide.

Not sure if this is the correct thread but couldn't find anything for Medford developments;

bdwhjgf.jpg

4cuW63k.jpg

MzqXu1g.jpg

YBPDFkZ.jpg

K4Aoq46.jpg

JSpiooU.jpg

RegJRGJ.jpg

WS8N4ZQ.jpg

pYlu4LX.jpg

^^
Where is this???
Actually, it is across Locust St from the Meadow Glen Mall, on the site of the old Sentry dealership.

Roughly 4080 Mystic Valley Parkway, bounded on the south by a frontage road (that may have MVP addresses) by Locust St on the east, the Rink to the north.

https://goo.gl/maps/86zGQ

Is this the development I see to the east when I'm driving up 93 in Medford?

The Radio Shack @ Meadow Glen Mall is in "Tranche 1" of the stores closing in the Radio Shack Bankruptcy (along with the Cambridgeside Radio Shack and one in Boston at 435 W Broadway)

That the Meadow Glen Mall is/has an "art space" seems like a sign that the owners consider the mall fully-depreciated and un-fillable otherwise.

Basically it seems a sign that they're willing to carry an economically-useless mall for a long time while considering what comes next, which, from Medford's view is bad news since a beautiful site will continue to languish under-developed, offering obsolete services, and paying too few taxes.

Is the closed Stop and Shop (across Locust St from the Mall) still sitting empty too?

That the Meadow Glen Mall is/has an "art space" seems like a sign that the owners consider the mall fully-depreciated and un-fillable otherwise.

Basically it seems a sign that they're willing to carry an economically-useless mall for a long time while considering what comes next, which, from Medford's view is bad news since a beautiful site will continue to languish under-developed, offering obsolete services, and paying too few taxes.

Is the closed Stop and Shop (across Locust St from the Mall) still sitting empty too?

ex-Shaw's. I haven't been by there in about 4 months, but no...I don't believe anything new has gone in there yet.

At least the perpetually transient car dealership on the corner of Locust and the Parkway stub to Hormel Stadium and the skating rink is giving way to condos. That's one small step to anchoring the area with something sustainable. And will help at attracting a new supermarket tenant. S&S won't be interested in Meadow Glen because their much busier Super S&S is nearby on Fellsway, but the former Shaw's is a full-size, fully-modern building built in the last 15 years. Any any other chain would be able to move right in with minimal renovation...Whole Foods, Market Basket, Roche Bros., Wegman's, etc. It wasn't a bad-performing Shaw's location; Shaw's is just imploding so incredibly as a chain that every location that wasn't either ultra-profitable or ultra-cheap to occupy is being indiscriminately closed.

Back