Menino pushing for eateries in Common, Back Bay Fens

statler

Reaction score
Boston.com - Febuary 5, 2010
Menino pushing for eateries in Common, Back Bay Fens
February 5, 2010 02:24 PM

By Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff

Mayor Thomas M. Menino today proposed legislation that would allow long-term leases on two historic but dilapidated restrooms in city parks with the hope that a local chef will open concession stands on Boston Common and the Back Bay Fens.

The bill is aimed at the 1920s-era Pink Palace on Boston Common and the 1897 Duck House on Agassiz Road in the Back Bay Fens. It would allow the two structures, which have sat unused for 30 years, to be preserved and leased as park amenities.

"The Emerald Necklace and Boston Common are some of the most iconic destinations in our historic city, and we hope to enhance these areas by activating space that has sat unused for too long,? Menino said in a press release.

?It?s important that any future use of these buildings be in keeping with the historic context of the surrounding area. The Pink Palace and Duck House are unique locations that a local chef or entrepreneur could potentially improve for the enjoyment of thousands of park visitors annually.?

The legislation requires several layers of approval before it could be submitted to the state Legislature as a home rule petition. The first step will occur on Feb. 17, when the proposal will be outlined for the Boston Conservation Commission. The City Council would also have to endorse the plan, along with the Park Commission.

While the bill specifically targets the Pink Palace and the Duck House, it is not limited to the two former restrooms and could provide the same potential for other similar structures. The mayor's proposal does not stipulate specific uses for the properties.

An obvious good idea.

The part that bothers me is: "The legislation requires several layers of approval before it could be submitted to the state Legislature as a home rule petition."

There's Boston for you. A no-brainer to put an eatery in unused, burnt-out old buildings suddenly becomes really complicated. Layers of red-tape with no clear approval in sight, plus who knows what sort of tit-for-tats and absurd sweeteners to get this tiny, tiny little decision made.

I wonder if the regulatory process would be simpler to allow more vendors on the streets? As in, operating from trucks or carts or such? There's a tragic dearth of this in Boston.

1) City builds facility for public use
2) City abandons facility and does not provide replacement
-30 years pass-
3) City comes up with brilliant idea to give public facility to private interests
4) Profit

I wonder if it isn't ridiculous to have a restaurant at the EDGE of the park, where there are plenty of other (and probably cheaper) options available across the street. None of the dining facilities in Central Park are located at the edges, and you don't need a restaurant there to animate the space.

Excuse my ignorance, but where's the Pink Palace? I thought all the little structures in the park were well-used access points to the parking garage...

Why don't they keep the fast food outlet open year round at the frog pond? I mean yes there will probably a lot less customer because the ice rink is closed but it might attract a decent size.

^ Frog Pond is a much better location for this sort of thing. Closer to the middle of the park, bucolic location that feels more like park than intersection, and less competition across Beacon Street than an eatery on Tremont would face.

The Pink Palace is at the corners of Tremont and Beacon streets, where the Masonic Temple is located and the Little Building - the corner nearest the theater district.

It is the furthest corner from the parking garage.

Beacon and Tremont? So it's not on the Common?

Or did you perhaps mean Park Street?

My apologies, I've been thinking it's in a different spot, altogether. I thought it was the spot where there's parking coming off Boylston Street. It's not.

But, in either case, it's not near the entrance to the parking garage, on Charles Street South but seems to be about half way between Charles Street South and Tremont Street.

Two photos, taken today.

First is from the corners of Beacon Street and Charles Street South, near the Starbucks. The "Pink Palace" is not the building in the distance in the middle; that's an exit from the parking garage, below. The Pink Palace is to the right of it.

The lower photo is of the front of the building, up close.

pink_palace1.jpg

pink_palace3.jpg

shake-shack.jpg

I know we are all thinking it, so I will say it. Can't we just highjack New York's iconic Shake Shack for the Boston Common, say in between the Park Street and Boylston stations? I recently heard they were expanding their franchise, to Miami Beach!

I know we are all thinking it, so I will say it. Can't we just highjack New York's iconic Shake Shack for the Boston Common, say in between the Park Street and Boylston stations? I recently heard they were expanding their franchise, to Miami Beach!

Shake Shack has already been proposed as one of the eateries, along with some other boston themed restaurant. They want in and so do i!

Danny Meyer, the restaurant magnate who owns Shake Shack and other Manhattan establishments, wants to open a branch on Boston Common, a bold foray into a city that famously loathes New York and its icons. But Mr. Meyer will be bidding against at least one other proposal, for a New England-style seafood stand called the Common House.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us/19shake.html

It's slightly disheartening for the NY Times to take editorial liberties by stating that Boston "famously loathes New York and it's icons" in a news article. Lazy journalism.

Agreed. It would great to have a Coney Island Hot Dog or Famous Nathan's there. But please, no clam chowder joint!

Back