Menino pushing for eateries in Common, Back Bay Fens

Ah, Sonic. Subjected New England teenagers with advertisements promising cheap, culinary splendor for years. Built up quite the fantasy. When I came to St. Louis and had Sonic for the first time, I was completely disappointed with the quality. Of the food, anyhow - microwaved hamburgers and fries even worse the the Golden Arches.

I had a Sonic within walking distance of my house my senior year of college (Clemon, SC). At first taste I thought it was disgusting...but then I got "the hunger". Before I knew it, 3am on Friday night had me on the verge of blackout, riding a moped up the street to get a breakfast stuffer. Upon graduation, I moved back to Scituate and lost 10 pounds within a week. Methinks it's due to the lack of Sonic.

It's the devil.

^ You haven't lived until you've had a double-double at In-N-Out. No other fast food compares.

Animal Style.
in-n-out-animal-style.jpg

'Pink Palace' to get makeover as Boston Common takeout spot
E-mail | Print Posted by Metro Desk March 22, 2011 05:53 PM

David L. Ryan/Globe Staff

The "Pink Palace," a former restroom, will become a takeout place.
By Martin Finucane, Globe Staff

In a move intended to inject more pizzazz into the Boston Common, city officials announced today that they have chosen a Florida-based sandwich chain to operate the Pink Palace, a long-vacant historic structure originally built as a restroom.

The Pink Palace, a 660-square-foot structure that was named for the color of its masonry, will be leased by the Earl of Sandwich chain, the city announced this afternoon.

?This is a great opportunity to transform a unique unused space into an active business, while contributing to the vitality of the Boston Common,? Boston Parks Commissioner Toni Pollak said in a statement. ?This project will allow us to preserve a historic building while also bringing new life to the park for all visitors to enjoy.?

The city parks department expects that the kiosk will open in late 2011 or early 2012. The Earl of Sandwich's lease will run for 15 years. The city's revenue from the lease will go to upkeep of the park, officials said.

The octagon-shaped building was built in the 1920s as a restroom. It has been vacant for decades.

The Earl of Sandwich bills itself as the "world's greatest hot sandwich," with fresh-baked bread, meat roasted daily, and traditional family recipes, according to its website.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/beacon_hill/2011/03/pink_palace_to_get_makeover_as.html

This is some serious fail. If they were going to go the sandwich route the least they could do was get something quality that we don't already have in Boston at the airport no less. If chains were all they could lure, Potbelly's would have been a great choice for those who know that chain. As for shake shake, I don't think that was ever a realistic option. More like city officials using it like everyone uses "potential tenants for the ________ development include Whole Foods"

I would have loved to see a small branch of sam lagrassa here.

We should have known this was going to have the same results as every other time the city or state has "engaged in a nation wide search for the best ________ for a critical position".

Yikes, just checked out the "Earl of Sandwich" website, sandwich pics look awful. As someone who works a block away from the Common, I may get up the guts to give it a try, but it would be an understatement to say this doesn't look promising.

Their offerings certainly aren't photogenic. I always think of fine dining when I peruse the offerings found on an airport concourse. There's nothing like shitty food, served to you by someone who hates you.

Here's another reason to avoid the Earl's wares.

The bread on those sandwiches looks disgusting. Fresh baked my butt!

Maybe I'm just spoiled by Sam LaGrassa's....

Would have been better if it was a Chacarero.

I'm kind of bummed... wasn't B.Good burgers looking to open at this spot? What a missed opportunity--they're the best (and local).

If you look here... http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&...=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a7e41b2aad176a4b

Most of their restaurants actually have really excellent reviews. I think it's funny that by far the worst on the page are for the Lynn location. (if in fact that is even the same chain) It looks like it's at least worth a try, even if the pics on the menu aren't terribly appealing. Hundreds of reviews have the place pegged around a 4.5/5!

Once the hotdog and hamburger eateries are established, I say bring in the kabob carts/joints.

Back