Menino pushing for eateries in Common, Back Bay Fens

This development process needs to go through the proper guidlines issued by the BRA. I'm hearing alot of negative thoughts on the eateries development on the Boston Common property.

The first is will it cast shadows?
The second these types of eateries need zoning guildlines. Height and width on the Common.
The third is the traffic congestion this development will provide to the common.

On a positive note I think it will create a total of 10 jobs for the city of Boston for 6 months during the year.

Thank god our Mayor thinks big.

It's slightly disheartening for the NY Times to take editorial liberties by stating that Boston "famously loathes New York and it's icons" in a news article. Lazy journalism.

IMO, almost everything the NYT writes is sopping with editorial liberties.

What are the chances this contract goes to the son of either someone in city government or the likes of Ron Druker, and that they'll propose a chowdah and baked beans concession?

That's a good idea (assuming that this restaurant idea in the "Pink Palace" makes sense at all, given its obscure location in the Common). I just don't know if Bartley's has the resources or desire (if they haven't opened another location in all this time...) to do it.

A Bartley's Shack next to Frog Pond would be pretty cool.

I love ShakeShack, but why not hand this over to Bartley's? No brainer...

Bartley doesn't strike me as someone who wants to open additional locations. I will never forget the first time my wife and I tried to go there many years ago one Friday night in the summer and there was a sign on the door that said "Mr. and Mrs. Bartley have gone fishing and will be back next week."

I am sure they could have expanded years ago if they wanted to but as a frequent customer, I just don't get the impression that they are interested in additional locations. But perhaps the Common is a unique enough draw that they may consider it. Personally, I think the space should go to whoever makes the best proposal whether it be a Bostonian, a New Yorker or anyone else. All things being equal, it would be nice to give the opportunity to someone local but not at the expense of having an inferior product.

Bartley doesn't strike me as someone who wants to open additional locations.

I am sure they could have expanded years ago if they wanted to but as a frequent customer, I just don't get the impression that they are interested in additional locations.

Entirely possible, and it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.

That said, even Santarpio's is expanding. As a frequent customer, I don't know how I feel about this.

Santarpio's is expanding?! To Peabody? Come on, man, they should move inwards not out. I'd like to see them in Southie somewhere, really, anywhere that is more of a working-class neighborhood not totally saturated with college students. I guess Peabody fits that, but it's not in the city.

A lot of East Boston moved north around the time of this court decision. It's probably a sound business decision.

I've tried to like Sonic. But after careful consideration, I think it sucks.

Ah, Sonic. Subjected New England teenagers with advertisements promising cheap, culinary splendor for years. Built up quite the fantasy. When I came to St. Louis and had Sonic for the first time, I was completely disappointed with the quality. Of the food, anyhow - microwaved hamburgers and fries even worse the the Golden Arches.

^^ Like eating a White Castle TV dinner in your car. Rubbish.

Weekly Dig - February 17, 2009
COMMON SPACES ON THE COMMON
By SHOSHANA AKINS

Mayor Tom Menino wants to develop buildings effeminately named the "Pink Palace" and the "Duck House," which have sat feral on Boston Common for 30 years, but it's a process that requires the approval of the Boston Conservation Commission, Boston Park Commission, the Boston City Council and the State Legislature.

It looks like the ball will finally get rolling, with a presentation this week before the Boston Conservation Commission. Then again, this decades-old idea was announced almost a year ago and this is the plan's first definitive action ... so the rolling might be more of a crawl.

Before these spaces can be leased for park amenities, state historic preservation law requires that the Legislature approve any plans to release publicly owned conservation lands to other ventures. Then, if the propositions become a reality, the city needs to offer us citizens new public space in exchange for the privately owned land, according to Mass. Audubon legislative director Jennifer Ryan. "If concessions on the Boston Common are found to be a change of use [from conservation], then the city would need to find comparable park space," she says. This doesn't necessarily apply to the Duck House, Ryan says, as long as the new structure is "consistent with the existing footprint" of the building. The city allowed the public to submit Requests for Expressions of Interest until mid-January (so it's too late to recommend a rental jetpack facility), but no final decisions have been announced.

The Duck House, a 113-year-old public sanitation building, has taken a beating. After a 1986 fire that severely destroyed the building's innards, it became a target for vandalism and graffiti. The Pink Palace, which served as a "men's comfort station" in the early 20th century and currently serves as a leaning post for the Commonwealth's homeless, might be renovated into a warm-weather restaurant. According to Parks Department director Margaret Dyson, bids are already being offered, but nothing's been accepted.

The Conservation Commission's approval is the first of a series of bureaucratic hurdles, and the outlook is good, says executive secretary Chris Busch. "The Commission generally looks favorably on projects that enhance public space and public resources, and draw the public to park land within the city," he says. "And from what I understand, that is the intent of this proposal?to improve some of these historic buildings and resources in the parkland and to increase the public's experience in those."

Then, if the propositions become a reality, the city needs to offer us citizens new public space in exchange for the privately owned land, according to Mass. Audubon legislative director Jennifer Ryan. "If concessions on the Boston Common are found to be a change of use [from conservation], then the city would need to find comparable park space," she says. This doesn't necessarily apply to the Duck House, Ryan says, as long as the new structure is "consistent with the existing footprint" of the building.

So if you build a building on your own land, you need to build a park next to it. If you build a small food concession in an existing park building, you need to build a park somewhere else.

It seems like Boston is becoming the disfigured stepchild of Newton's Third Law of Motion: "For every action, there must be cleared away equal but opposite 'open space.'"

^^ Makes you wonder if they're putting "Vitamin Stupid" in the water supply.

The legislature and governor would have to approve (legislature by 2/3rds vote), as set out in Article 97 of the state constitution. The business of providing replacement open space is a recent legislative policy not founded on any law.

Are these buildings big enough for food service establishments? After taking into account health and safety regs, providing sanitary facilities, architectural barrier board issues, and, oh by the way, making the things big enough to make a profit, what will be the result?

I'd want a stand alone "pink palace" with the toilets in it, and the real restaurant next door!

I assume they're going to be more Shake Shack than Michelin Star brasserie.

You will be lucky to get Hood Milk Bottle!

Somebody needs to tell The Weekly Dig that the Duck House is nowhere near the Common. It's on the banks of the Muddy River in the Fenway.

Back