Menino vs Chick-fil-a

AdamBC

Reaction score
Menino doesn't want a Chic-fil-a where the Purple Shamrock is/was:

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061147182

“Chick-fil-A doesn’t belong in Boston. You can’t have a business in the city of Boston that discriminates against a population. We’re an open city, we’re a city that’s at the forefront of inclusion,” Menino told the Herald yesterday.

Chick-fil-A has been swept up in a growing national controversy over company president Dan Cathy’s remarks questioning gay marriage and lauding the traditional family.

Undeterred, Chick-fil-A — which boasts 1,600 eateries, including two in the Bay State — has been scouting the Hub for new locations and is reportedly eyeing a lease at 1 Union St., across the street from City Hall, the Holocaust Memorial and historic Faneuil Hall.

The Purple Shamrock said it’s moving out when its lease expires in mid-September because of a 60 percent rent hike, according to a spokesman for owner Glynn Hospitality Group. The bar has been there for 32 years.

Re: The New Retail Thread

I think this is a really strong statement to the company and I applaud Menino for standing this ground, but it's a real shame because Chick-fil-A is so damn delicious. I drive to the Burlington Mall sometimes just to get some for dinner.

I approve of the stance, but him saying he is going to block their entry on those grounds is wrong and misguided. As long as the company has a good and legal track record on the subject, they should be treated as any other business. If you blocked everything because of your disagreements over entirely irrelevant topics nothing will get done.

That said, I hope to god the place doesn't get put in. Really a fast food chain there? Isn't it commercialized like a silly mall enough anyway. Just eat at the airport or your local fast food joint and don't even bother going to FH if you are gonna eat at Chick-Fil-A.

If you blocked everything because of your disagreements over entirely irrelevant topics nothing will get done.

Initially, I had the same feeling. Then I remembered that this is about civil rights, and not the usual Menino micro-management.

Why does Menino get to pick and chose? He's only playing politics.

For starters: I don't think any civil rights should be an issue at all. Let anyone marry who they please, nobody has ANY right to do anything about it. Not one bit. So for that reason, I would refuse to eat at Chick Fil A. However, they can say whatever makes them sleep better at night, no skin off my nose.

Boston doesn't like fast food. I mean, where the hell can you even find a KFC or a Popeye's around here? Not many places at all. There's a handful. Couple this with the fact that Boston is going to be very anti-Chick Fil A, and they're not going to be making much money. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually failed in Boston proper.

But what right does Menino have to take actions in this? None. We as consumers have the power to say no. Not Menino. He needs to be removed.

My favorite part of the article is the very rational and very intelligent comments in the comments section.

Initially, I had the same feeling. Then I remembered that this is about civil rights, and not the usual Menino micro-management.

Wait, wouldn't the civil rights issue here be that government can't prevent you from operating a business because your position on a legitimate political issue is not the same as the one adopted by the neighborhood mob boss -- sorry, mayor?

Like Chick-fil-a's stance or not (and I sure don't agree with it), this is a freedom of speech issue. The civil rights at stake are the ability of a person to express himself freely and not be punished/barred from opening a business by bureaucrats for doing so via extra-judiciary means.

Wait, wouldn't the civil rights issue here be that government can't prevent you from operating a business because your position on a legitimate political issue is not the same as the one adopted by the neighborhood mob boss -- sorry, mayor?

Like Chick-fil-a's stance or not (and I sure don't agree with it), this is a freedom of speech issue. The civil rights at stake are the ability of a person to express himself freely and not be punished/barred from opening a business by bureaucrats for doing so via extra-judiciary means.

I really want to think that but every time I think:

What if the Chick-Fil-A president said he supports segregation, the deportation of all immigrants or the elimination of all non-christians?

Then I tend to support the Mayor on this one. Gay rights is the modern day civil rights.

This is politicking at its fined. In lieu of letting a simple business transaction succeed or fail based on its own merits, Menino gets to interject in a highly publicized controversy and, in turn, gets points for doing absolutely nothing productive. It's easy to cheer the winning team and seem like you're actually doing something when you really aren't.

Its cool that people equate standing up for human dignity with "politicking."

Its cool that people equate standing up for human dignity with "politicking."

The mayor would sell out to Chick Fil A if 51% or more of Boston residents were right-wing, god-fearing, anti-gay nutbags. The only thing he cares about is a) his next term and b) his personal interests.

I think this is a really strong statement to the company and I applaud Menino for standing this ground, but it's a real shame because Chick-fil-A is so damn delicious. I drive to the Burlington Mall sometimes just to get some for dinner.

Data -- this is stupid grandstanding by Menino -- Chick-fil-A doesn't discriminate against anyone. This is not the pre-1960's south -- The politics of the CEO is irrelevant to the service of the public in a restaurant.

Its just like someone saying that they hate Microsoft not because the software stinks and fails regurlarly, but because they are opposed to some of the groups receiving grants from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation.

The difference here is human rights. If Microsoft suddenly donated to anti-gay causes, I can guarantee you there would be insane protests and boycotts of their products.

Everyone keeps flipping this scenario to try to demonstrate their point, but there is only 1 correct side to this civil rights issue - all humans get equal rights. Companies that donate to causes that are against this common good should be put under intense scrutiny.

The mayor would sell out to Chick Fil A if 51% or more of Boston residents were right-wing, god-fearing, anti-gay nutbags. The only thing he cares about is a) his next term and b) his personal interests.

Urb -- that's a comment approaching the ignorance level of Menino's original comment about Chick-fil-A

Specifically:

1) Just because someone belives in god, and hence is "god-fearing," hardly makes them a "Nutbag".

2) For that matter, since a good fraction of the citizens of Massachusetts and Boston are Roman Catholic, and hence god fearing, and believers in the traditional definition of mariage, the sentiments toward / against gay mariage might be a lot closer to 50 / 50 than you may think.

3) Indeed, there are plenty of otherwise "leftwing nutbags," who are religious and happen to believe that mariage is between their god, one man and one woman.

4) Others might have other views -- but the stance on mariage has little to do with ones general political perspective. You can observe for example the fact that everytime a gay-mariage / traditional mariage initiative has been voted on -- the traditional mariage side has triumphed -- irrespective of the red / blue political status of the state -- e.g. California.

1) Just because someone belives in god, and hence is "god-fearing," hardly makes them a "Nutbag".

1) Just because someone says "right-wing god-fearing nutbag" doesn't mean they think everyone who believes in god is said nutbag.

The difference here is human rights. If Microsoft suddenly donated to anti-gay causes, I can guarantee you there would be insane protests and boycotts of their products.

Everyone keeps flipping this scenario to try to demonstrate their point, but there is only 1 correct side to this civil rights issue - all humans get equal rights. Companies that donate to causes that are against this common good should be put under intense scrutiny.

Data -- ones favoring or opposing the traditional / non-traditional definition of mariage has almost nothing to do with Civil Rights

Today -- Nothing stops any two individuals from living as if they were husband and wife -- a "Common Law Mariage" -- including siblings of whatever genders who later in life might share a home and do whatever. Indeed there are probably quite a few "very non-traditional relationships" occuring "under the radar-screen" within a one hour drive of where I'm sitting. BUT we don't call these official mariages for a reason.

The definiton of marigage was created by religious institutions long before there were any of the "publicly accessible benefits" confered by the modern civil mariage certificate.

For example, the foundation of the "so-called Western Society" is the moral code of behavior generally known as the "10 Commandments." or the "Decalogue" At the time of the documentation of the 10 Commandments in the "Old Testament" about 700 or so BCE -- the definition of a husband and a wife were explict. One of the Commandments condems adultery directly, and another one condems even the thought of it explicitly using the term "wife" -- aka a female married to a male.

This codification of morality was then adopted by the Christian Community, and subsequently embedded into the Roman Law of the post Constantine era. Christianity and Roman Law in turn provided the principles upon which English Common Law was founded. The most important aspect of mariage was the acknowledgement of official paternity, necessary for the stability of the family, and the inheritance of property in a feudal society.

Of course, subsequently we've introduced tradition breakers such as "no-fault divorce," the reduction of stigma for ilegitimacy, the acceptance of "shacking-up," and the loss of the salient role played by the tradional family-relationship in conceiving and bringing-up children.

So we've had mariage in the religious context for about 3000 years, while the concept of the citvil society granting something other than formal recognition to a "mariage" is much more recent -- involving inheritance, taxes, joint-tennancy, etc.

A simple solution to this dichotamy is to separate the two institutions. Let the religious mariage be as defined as it has been by the particular religion such as Chritianity -- between you and your spouse and your god. Then let the civil society define a civil union or "civilage," etc which confers to the union all of the legal benefits.

At the decision of the society by vote of the legislature or the people --the civilage could be extended to any combination which the society thought was appropriate. Meanwhile, the god-fearing Christians and others who wished to have a traditional religious margiage would obtain the relevant document from their pastor, etc. Ceremonies and festivities accompanying either or both the civil and religious bindings would of course be discretionary -- no one today can stop you from holding a "wedding" between your male beagle and cousin's femaile German Sheppard to produce German Sheagles

But what right does Menino have to take actions in this? None. We as consumers have the power to say no. Not Menino. He needs to be removed.

I haven't read about this issue previously because it's not in the local news up here, but does the mayor actually have the ability to take action and block a Chick-fil-A from moving there? I imagine that he certainly has the right to free speech and can use his position to influence people who actually enforce city codes and such. There may be legitimate reasons that Menino should be replaced in the next election, but this doesn't seem to be a good reason to call for his resignation. It seems pointless to accuse a politician of politicking. At least he is on the right side of the gay marriage issue. Then again I am a liberal and support equal rights so maybe I am too biased to weigh in on this.

Data -- ones favoring or opposing the traditional / non-traditional definition of mariage has almost nothing to do with Civil Rights

Today -- Nothing stops any two individuals from living as if they were husband and wife -- a "Common Law Mariage" -- including siblings of whatever genders who later in life might share a home and do whatever. Indeed there are probably quite a few "very non-traditional relationships" occuring "under the radar-screen" within a one hour drive of where I'm sitting. BUT we don't call these official mariages for a reason.

The definiton of marigage was created by religious institutions long before there were any of the "publicly accessible benefits" confered by the modern civil mariage certificate.

For example, the foundation of the "so-called Western Society" is the moral code of behavior generally known as the "10 Commandments." or the "Decalogue" At the time of the documentation of the 10 Commandments in the "Old Testament" about 700 or so BCE -- the definition of a husband and a wife were explict. One of the Commandments condems adultery directly, and another one condems even the thought of it explicitly using the term "wife" -- aka a female married to a male.

This codification of morality was then adopted by the Christian Community, and subsequently embedded into the Roman Law of the post Constantine era. Christianity and Roman Law in turn provided the principles upon which English Common Law was founded. The most important aspect of mariage was the acknowledgement of official paternity, necessary for the stability of the family, and the inheritance of property in a feudal society.

Of course, subsequently we've introduced tradition breakers such as "no-fault divorce," the reduction of stigma for ilegitimacy, the acceptance of "shacking-up," and the loss of the salient role played by the tradional family-relationship in conceiving and bringing-up children.

So we've had mariage in the religious context for about 3000 years, while the concept of the citvil society granting something other than formal recognition to a "mariage" is much more recent -- involving inheritance, taxes, joint-tennancy, etc.

A simple solution to this dichotamy is to separate the two institutions. Let the religious mariage be as defined as it has been by the particular religion such as Chritianity -- between you and your spouse and your god. Then let the civil society define a civil union or "civilage," etc which confers to the union all of the legal benefits.

At the decision of the society by vote of the legislature or the people --the civilage could be extended to any combination which the society thought was appropriate. Meanwhile, the god-fearing Christians and others who wished to have a traditional religious margiage would obtain the relevant document from their pastor, etc. Ceremonies and festivities accompanying either or both the civil and religious bindings would of course be discretionary -- no one today can stop you from holding a "wedding" between your male beagle and cousin's femaile German Sheppard to produce German Sheagles

Or we can just allow gay people to find a church that would consider gay marriage legitimate in every which definition. If you're against the Mayor dictating what can and can't do business in Boston based on their position, then why are you for religion dictating what can or can't be considered "traditional" marriage based on the people getting married?

Frankly, I stand by the Mayor on denouncing Chik-fil-a. However, I don't think he has the right to personally exclude them. Let the people of Boston decide. This is the same situation as when Chik-fil-a tried to open at NEU but on a larger scale.

Back