MFA Expansion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding is that the MFA hasn't decided exactly who would go in there of its current staff and NU needed the space so they leased it out at a good price.

Hopefully, the MFA will let its staff at least get comfortable in its new digs before sending them out in the 'hood again. Terry has worked for the MFA for 19 years and for sixteen of them he was off-site! (At 547 Huntington and at Copley Place.)

I was really looking forward to the Forsyth Institute housing some publically accessible departments in curatorial studies, or some such. The last thing this corner of Fenway needs is another NU building. :(

Well, the MFA apparently doesn't have the money to do a complete renovation of the Forsyth building which would be needed to use it as they planned. I've heard fron an NU insider that it is a 10 year lease with the option to purchase.

Boston Globe - October 27, 2010
The picture of calm
Designing the inside of the MFA's soon-to-be-unveiled $504 million wing ? and juggling all the endless details that requires ? could unnerve lesser talents. Not Keith Crippen.

By James Sullivan | October 17, 2010

As the busy head designer of the Museum of Fine Arts? ambitious, eagerly anticipated new Art of the Americas wing, Keith Crippen can be forgiven for neglecting the visual appeal of his own office space. Above the clutter of strewn notebooks and wallpaper samples, a poster-size photo print of his two boys hangs from the wall, curling at the edges. One of his sons brandishes a butterfly net like a weapon; the other has a beach bucket on his head.

?Hooligans,? says the easygoing Crippen with a smile. Clearly, the man has some expertise in dealing with disorder.

With just weeks to go before the MFA throws open the doors to its $504 million, 121,307-square-foot addition on November 20, the designer seems preternaturally relaxed. Working closely with MFA curators and Foster + Partners, the British architectural firm that designed the wing, Crippen devised the layout of the new galleries and the overall allure of each setting, down to shelving, fixtures, and the paint colors on the walls. Artwork remains wrapped, lighting is still being adjusted, construction crews traipse the wing, attending to loose ends. Yet, despite the upheaval, 43-year-old Crippen carries himself as though he?s just woken up from a refreshing nap.

?There are going to be some long weekends and nights before we open,? he says. ?I?m not kidding myself.?

For the new four-story wing, which features art and artifacts from North, South, and Central America spanning the pre-Columbian era through the 20th century, Crippen has developed what he calls ?immersion? experiences. In one space, he has re-created 19th-century drawing rooms, with elaborate period wallpaper backing fine portraits and intricately carved mantelpieces. For another, he designed a sleek, oversize display case of colorful Modernist cubes to house a wide sampling of mid-century design.

For Crippen, the sterile white box of so many contemporary galleries can be underwhelming. ?I wanted to work broader, in terms of scope,? he says. Crippen, who joined the MFA staff in 2002, says he finds the museum?s ?encyclopedic? collection a welcome challenge: ?I might be working with Chinese dragon robes one week and Impressionist paintings the next.?

In jeans and a blazer, Crippen wears his curly, graying hair brushed back off his forehead. Striding through the august museum?s corridors in a scuffed pair of black biker boots (?If you go on a job site, they kind of pass? as work boots, he says), he looks more like a painter than a key facilitator of a major expansion at one of the world?s most significant art institutions.

In fact, he was once an aspiring artist. Born in Philadelphia and raised in the old seaside resort town of Wildwood, New Jersey, Crippen painted a series of carnival-themed pictures (one of which sits behind his desk in his office, propped on a shelf) as an undergraduate at the University of Delaware. Wildwood in winter was desolate, he recalls, but it sparked his imagination: ?An old roller coaster covered in snow creates an interesting look.?

After working in a bronze foundry, Crippen thought he?d like to begin a career as an art conservator. He went to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, hoping to volunteer. As it happened, the museum was looking to hire an art handler. He then joined the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts as their chief ?preparator? (preparing the art for display) and exhibition designer, devising mounts and pedestals and ?pretty much doing everything,? he says. ?It was a small museum.?

From there, he moved on to the Whitney Museum of American Art in New York, working on its 2002 biennial and a major exhibition of conceptual artist Sol LeWitt. In appreciation, LeWitt gave the designer a few pieces, which now hang in the home he shares with his wife, Carmela (who worked for the Metropolitan Museum of Art?s Costume Institute), and their boys in Haverhill.

At the MFA, Crippen has designed exhibitions of works by Gauguin and Titian, among others, as well as the museum?s show of Ralph Lauren?s classic car collection. Working with an in-house staff of carpenters, electricians, and painters means that he sees his ideas come to fruition quickly. ?I can design something and the next week it?s built,? he says. ?The turnover rate is very gratifying.?

The job also involves considerations beyond aesthetics. Crippen?s work often takes him to the major museums of Europe and beyond, where he studies innovations in presentation and protection. For the new wing alone, he flew overseas about a dozen times. At the Louvre, he has studied the Mona Lisa?s rehousing behind bulletproof glass. Noting instances of vandalism on the famous painting, he shakes his head. ?No matter how non-reflective the glass is, glass that thick is going to have some iron in it,? says Crippen, holding his index finger and thumb 2 inches apart. ?It?s still a little green. It?s a drag we have to sacrifice for kooks.?

The central galleries on each floor of the MFA?s new wing are intended to showcase a few major works ? the ?ta-da moments,? Crippen calls them ? from each era of American art. The side galleries have been developed for more intensive study of styles and periods, from Mayan ceramics to Eames chairs. Overall, the wing will display more than 5,000 items from the collection ? double the previous number. If he?s doing his job right, says the designer, no matter how detailed one of his vignettes may be, he succeeds when the viewer doesn?t quite notice the layout. ?You want to have it fall away,? he says.

Crippen?s modesty is just one of many traits that make him ideal for the job, says Sylvia Yount, who hired him at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts and is now chief curator of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts.

?He?s not a diva,? says Yount, who worked at the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in the 1980s. ?He?s completely unflappable, and he doesn?t have a top-down management style at all.? Crippen, she says, is ?very passionate about the art, obviously, but he?s also about making it look the best he possibly can, and doing it as a team.?

Crippen feels that one of his roles is to act as a kind of advocate for the visitor. Curators, he says, naturally want as much of their collections on view as possible. ?We have hundreds of pieces of Paul Revere silver in storage,? he says, ?and they?re going to tell me each one is essential. The museum, in general, sort of suffers from too many riches.?

Balance is essential. ?I?m trying to tell the story without overloading the visitor with too much visual stimuli,? he says. By grouping objects in pleasing, informative arrangements, he?s continually trying to avoid the prospect of what he calls ?museum fatigue.?

?After an hour walking around a museum, even I?m cooked,? Crippen says. ?I try to have surprises in the display, places to sit and recharge your batteries.?

Four years after he removed himself from other exhibition work to concentrate on the new wing, the result is rounding into plain view. And the MFA?s head designer is showing no sign of flagging.

James Sullivan is a writer in Amesbury. E-mail him at sullivanjames@verizon.net.

Bank of America Plaza emblazoned plinths:
mfa_bofa_entrance_a.jpg

mfa_bofa_entrance.jpg

They've populated the glassy building along Forsyth with sculptures visible from the street. This one looked familiar:
mfa_addition_bacchas_a.jpg

mfa_addition_bacchas_b.jpg

Her twin sister lives in the courtyard of the Copley BPL:
bpl_bacchus.jpg

I am literally wetting myself right now in anticipation of seeing the new wing, tomorrow night. Also, figuratively.

Does anyone else have plans on visiting? If you're a member, you can get in this Sunday (Nov 14). If not, your first chance is next Saturday, Nov 20, and admittance is free. You can also see it during the big party on Nov 19, America Remix (or, Rewind?); the lower-priced tickets are gone but you can pay $175 which gets you in plus an open bar.

Ill be visiting in December.

I wont be paying, I intend to milk my college ID until Im 37.

I am literally wetting myself right now in anticipation of seeing the new wing, tomorrow night. Also, figuratively. Does anyone else have plans on visiting? If you're a member, you can get in this Sunday (Nov 14).

John, I'm a member and like yourself I can't wait to experience the new wing on Sunday. I expect it to be somewhat crowded though with the talk of 60,000 membership households. I just hope they all don't decide to show up at the same time. As for the Bank of America advertising, it doesn't bother me as long as the advertising stays outside. The Museum is entitled to make money anyway it can to sustain their programs.

I've just returned from the MFA and was blown away by the new wing. Some of the galleries and their contents are achingly beautiful. The new wing definitely has a big wow factor going for it. I was fortunate to meet the director, Malcolm Rogers and congratulated him and also had the balls to tell him there should be trees in planters at the new American Cafe, Shapiro courtyard as it appeared a tad stark. He agreed! In short, the new wing is a huge success. It is an entirely new experience and a very enjoyable one at that.

Walking into the courtyard, last night, I was overwhelmed by the experience. Done up with all the lights and full of people and activity, it was quite a sight. Definitely, the challenge in the future will be to make the most of it instead of just space you see while walking from one wing to the other. They plan on having a cafe here and places to sit; that may not be enough.

I'm surprised Malcolm made it to the museum today. He must simply be exhausted at this point.

I only saw two of the four floors of galleries; they are well-laid out and attractive and flow well. Did not get into the new Gund gallery, which is on the ground floor. (The existing Gund gallery will reopen as five or six new galleries; I believe they will have new names.)

The biggest addition to the MFA? They've added about 100 toilet stalls and urinals throughout the new wing.

There is a new museum shop at the Huntington Ave entrance. Certainly, some people will grouse at its location being so prominent but it does make it easier to shop without having to go into the museum past the guards.

This was probably the only time I'll ever have my coat taken by a millionaire. One of the guards at the MFA won a million dollars (a lot more than a million) on a scratch ticket a month ago; he's still working there. Weird. Weirder still, it wasn't his first win, apparently.

The Shapiro courtyard has a shuttered roof down the middle of it; we think that they open and close depending on the weather and sunlight. If so, that's pretty cool.

The courtyard is up against the edge of the old Evans wing so you have the new/old mix on that side; similar to many museums in this day and age where what used to be the outside wall is now interior.

Senator Scott Brown and his wife were in attendance. He was not in a tux but no one noticed or cared. He drives a truck people! We exchanged pleasantries and Terry chatted with Ms Huff for ten minutes or so. Someone took an awesome photo of Senator Brown standing in front of a really famous painting that, if goes public, will really make people laugh / get angry. Think Clinton shaking hands with Kennedy, to give you an idea. I'm trying to track down the guy who took it (it's on facebook but I don't want to steal it).

That the West Wing entrance is no longer open has annoyed / irritated some people, mainly those who are in wheelchairs or use crutches. They've been instructed to walk around to Huntington Ave or Fenway entrances. A bit of a hike but they are handicapped accessible and the West Wing is no longer set up with ticket or membership booths. My response to the complaints are, dude you're going into a museum. If you can't make it another 200 feet to get in, how are you going to get around inside the museum??

More thoughts as they come to me.

Someone took an awesome photo of Senator Brown standing in front of a really famous painting that, if goes public, will really make people laugh / get angry. Think Clinton shaking hands with Kennedy, to give you an idea. I'm trying to track down the guy who took it (it's on facebook but I don't want to steal it).

Link? Painting name? Cmon man!!!

Ill be visiting in December.

I wont be paying, I intend to milk my college ID until Im 37.

You can leave the old college ID at home; State Street is sponsoring free Wednesday nights at the museum all through December.

Will the new auditorium in the new wing replace Remis, or supplement it?

Does the new gift shop replace the one in the West Wing?

You can leave the old college ID at home; State Street is sponsoring free Wednesday nights at the museum all through December.

Thats true, but the museum is big enough to warrant a full day, not just 4 hours.

I was pleasantly surprised by how well the glassed in courtyard works. It's quite refreshing that many of the galleries aren't stark white either.

Remis stays; the new auditorium is not large, from what I hear. The existing gift shop in the West Wing stays but will be redesigned and shrunk as part of the renovation of that part, now known as the Linde Family Wing.

If the West Wing entrance is no longer open, what do people do who just want to go to a lecture or movie at Remis but don't want to pay for museum admission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back