Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

atlantaden said:
However, it's the attitude that will result in the buying and selling of all your sorry asses.

Hmmmmmmmmm, a rather insulting and arrogant statement. Sadly, it's an opinion of many in the corporate and political establishment around this country who look down on the "sorry ass masses" with contempt! Happily, more than a few of the Ken Lays and Tom DeLays of that group are now in jail or awaiting trial though Lay's passing sorta left him off the hook, so to speak. Sorry for this post but the above statement just rubbed me the wrong way. The Dude, JBoston and Scott all have a right to their opinions without their being lumped together and referred to as "sorry asses." That sort of statement tends to encompass and demean every poster on this forum.

The anonymity on this forum allows me the comfort in not using subtlety. Hopefully you can understand this and sarcasm.

bosdevelopment said:
The price they could sell each unit for would drop substantially if parking were not available from the developer them self.

Exactly! Which is why the housing would be more affordable that way. And the developer could build more of it on the same parcel.

Ron Newman said:
bosdevelopment said:
The price they could sell each unit for would drop substantially if parking were not available from the developer them self.

Exactly! Which is why the housing would be more affordable that way. And the developer could build more of it on the same parcel.

If the parking proposal is the most good for not the most people yours is not the most good for the most people. (and by people i mean the residents of hayward, not the environment or something)

Poor people drive cars too. But anybody that can afford an apartment in that neighborhood is not going to be close to the poverty line. I'm sure that the people that would live in this building (your proposal with no parking) would prefer to have a car.

It's because neighborhood groups don't want any more cars around taking up the limited number resident spaces.

Also read recently that part of the negotiation with the neighborhood for Altelier in the South End restricts those residents from getting a street parking sticker.

jboston said:
If people want to live downtown, they can work 80 hours a week. If not, they can move. School's over now and I'm looking for a second job, but during the school year I worked as much as 50 hours a week while also going to school another 40 hours. If I can handle it at 17 years old, then adults can handle it too.

Well that is spectacular for you now isn't it?

I have a few questions for you...

1) Do you pay for all of your expenses?
2) Are you mentally disabled (like most of the homeless in Boston?)
3) Do you have nice clothes to go to an interview?
4) Do you actually fucking think that some company is going to go ahead and hire some homeless person when there is a LARGE pool of middle class teenagers (with their parent's health insurance) like yourself to work?
5) Do you understand that the job market is not a level playing field but rather a class-based hierarchy?

Be realistic, not fascist. That little plan of yours may sound good in principle, but like all simple, reactionary ideas - the novelty fades[/quote

1) I have the ability to quite easily pay for my expenses, but I choose to save 90% of my income for college. I do, of course, pay for my car, gas, insurance, and cell phone, along with about half of my meals.
2) Some would say so. However, I feel no pity for the homeless in Boston, who have some of the highest incomes for homeless people in the country. They choose to be homeless. For fuck's sake, they have a newspaper.
3) No. I went to my interview in shitty clothes and got hired anyway.
4) They're not going to hire homeless people when they aren't asking or looking for a job. If they cared about their lives and made any attempt to get one, they would be able to get food, housing, and clothing from charities, and would promptly be hired by some employer.
5) No. Move to China and be with the other communists.

It's not fascism, it's realism.

dude, most homeless are indeed mentally disabled, and as members of society, we have an obligation to take care of them - just like we have ambulances for emergencies. If you suddenly passed out and needed to go to the hospital, could you drive yourself there? I don't think so.

Think about what you are saying before you speak. Wait, grow up, first, then come back and give us your 2 cents.

bosdevelopment said:
If the parking proposal is the most good for not the most people yours is not the most good for the most people. (and by people i mean the residents of hayward, not the environment or something)
Whew! I didn't think it was possible, but that sentence blew Rumsfeld's 'known unknowns' right out of the water.

justin

A luxury residential mid rise is good for this location because it would most likely have a 24 hour ground level concierge. I think that can be good in a high crime area. That means someone is there to call the cops when there is trouble, even in the middle of the night.

I like height, but I also see how mid rises make up an important part of an urban physical environment.

justin said:
bosdevelopment said:
Whew! I didn't think it was possible, but that sentence blew Rumsfeld's 'known unknowns' right out of the water.

justin

It's a good sentence.

bosdevelopment said:
Has anyone here ever tried using zip car? The service sucks. Not like I'd ever try it, but having to pay by the hour for a car is backwards.

Idealism is abound on this forum (which is not necessarily a bad thing). However "having a car for weekend trips into the country" screams liberal yuppie in a convertible saab going out to concord for the strawberry festival.

Funny, I just had a great experience with ZipCar yesterday. I rented a pickup truck for an hour so I could run to Home Depot to buy a bunch of plywood. For $10 I got a nice truck with satellite radio that hauled all sorts of crap that would never fit in my shrimpy Volvo (said Volvo being my preferred method of rolling out to the Concord strawberry festival. :) ) I've used Zip Cars on a few occasions to haul stuff--I do a lot of remodeling on my house--and because of Zip Car, I don't need to buy a big-ass gas guzzling truck. Granted, the service only works for urbanites who only need a little bit of car, and further granted that urbanites are statistically more likely to be liberal yuppies than their country bumpkin cousins.

The BRA said:
Downtown Crossing to Receive New Housing at ?Hayward Place?

The BRA Board of Directors also approved Hayward Place, a $200 million mixed-use development that will contribute 277 new units to Downtown Boston?s housing stock, as well as create 19,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space and a below-grade parking garage. Millennium Hayward LLC, a venture of Millennium Partners-Boston is the developer.

The 38,000 square foot project site, situated just one block from Boston Common, currently serves as a surface parking lot, bounded by Washington Street, Avenue de Lafayette, Harrison Avenue extension, and Hayward Place. The development of this underutilized site will provide active retail space on Downtown Crossing?s lively Washington Street, allowing for continuity of sidewalk-oriented retail activity. The new structure will also feature aspects of ?Green Design.?

The project will enhance the retail and residential vitality of the Downtown Crossing area and will create significant new economic and housing opportunities, in a manner consistent with transit-oriented development. The project is expected to generate approximately 250 new construction jobs, and is estimated to break ground in the spring of 2007.

The race is on. Gotta get this baby up and sold before Filene's takes center stage. Nothing like a little competition to finally get things moving.

I still have some concern about the effect this project will have on any future revival of the RKO Boston theatre. But hardly anyone else cares.

RKO

Ron,

The RKO is in the building adjacent to Hayward Place, correct? Do you have any photos that might show the interior of the structure? I have long wondered how that space is currently used- it sits within an office building that occupies an entire city block. It must be used for something...

theatres

My guess is that there are already more than enough live theater venues to support existing demand in the metro area. I wish this weren't so, as I would love to see these venues come alive in a similar fashion. But the Wang theater has fallen on very hard times with the opening of the Opera House. I think this is symptomatic of the larger issue: people just aren't willing to pay enough money to support a more vibrant theatre scene in this city.

Either way, I think the Essex could be reborn as a club/restaurant and and live music venue. I imagine that the structure is in tough shape, but probably very structurally sound. Aside from eliminating the concrete floor, it would not be any where near as expensive or challenging as the opera house or the paramount. It could be a more mix of the Mantra aesthetic on Temple Place and the music and club sensibility of Avalon on Landsdowne street.

That's sum theater ...

I'm an unabashed fan of new construction, and tear-downs, but that's some theater - the RKO Boston.

Ron, I love the photos. The discussion thread you linked to is fascinating, as well.

I had no idea that the theater was hidden back there.

I'll back plans to renovate the RKO Boston if everyone will agree we can tear down the Modern. Fair trade?

This is my first time posting to this site, so sorry if I am bringing up a topic that was already discussed. But I have heard one of the hold-ups with the Hayward design and construction is the location of the underground tunnels. Some (or one) are transit and some (or one) are old market (stores) tunnels that connect the basement and sub-basement of the buildings on Washington Street. I spoke to someone who has gone into the tunnels and they have stated that there are so called ?Antiques? or stuff left behind from when the tunnels were in use by some of the markets.
If not mistaken, I believe one of the tunnels is located directly under the existing parking garage.
I tried to find more information on the web, but all I could find was a Boston transit website that stated that there are abandoned tunnels in the area.
Did anyone else hear about the abandon tunnels or passageways in that area?

There are abandoned entrances and exits to the Chinatown Orange Line station -- maybe that's what you're thinking of. There are no abandoend transit tunnels.

I'm not sure what garage you are referring to, as the parcel under discussion is a surface parking lot.

Back