Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Hayward Place

Isn't the Ritz dropoff driveway primarily for hotel patrons, though? Many of whom probably arrive by taxi. Most hotels have these, with some unfortunate effects on the neighboring pedestrian sidewalks.

There are two separate drop off areas on Avery Street. One for the hotel and the other for the residences across the street.

From today's community meeting.

5449999728_52ccdd520e_o.jpg

5449372843_1bf1d1551f_o.jpg

5449372797_7a66a8916e_o.jpg

5449372715_c8fb792825_o.jpg

5449372673_14ef7bd531_o.jpg

5449982714_ab74acca94_o.jpg

5449982660_66868b72f8_o.jpg

5449372547_aee0d5b1bd_o.jpg

5449372519_80e143a89a_o.jpg

5449372493_0fe963c24a_o.jpg

5449982530_51fb10d3bf_o.jpg

5449982484_2f2e0c3681_o.jpg

5449982450_bba1428b6a_o.jpg

5449372381_25ee2e2aa6_o.jpg

5449372343_d73ffc6376_o.jpg

5449982364_09d0d6c612_o.jpg

Sorry the images are so small. Changed a setting which I didn't understand on my camera and now they're all coming out this size...

5449408475_cd898fed3e_b.jpg

From today's community meeting.

Some notes:

- The green space on the roof is patios on the corners. The rest of the space in between is sectioned of with no access, purely for aesthetics for Millennium Place residents.

- The green space on the back side's low roof (2nd floor, almost right over the drop off zone) is open only to residents (all residents).

- The units are for rent, but may be sold as condos in the future. They'll see where the market goes.

- The garage will be just one floor, and I believe 137 spaces or so. If more spaces are used than expected, they will be guaranteed a spot at the Millennium Place garage (Boylston entrance).

- The drop-off zone is REQUIRED per BRA after the mess Millennium Place caused on Avery St. The BRA would not let them go without it.

- The garage ramp will be pulled in and tightened a bit so that they can put an office/faux-retail on the Hayward/Harrison corner. This was BRA advice to avoid a blank wall.

- The developers are looking into doing the same on the Hayward/Washington corner because the MBTA gave them a little space between the egress and Hayward, but is too small to give a real purpose. It will likely be a little glassed area with mannequins or some other faux-retail space.

- The MBTA will be keeping this egress an emergency egress and does not want to open it up.

Any questions about the notes posted in the previous post, just post here and I'll answer.

Who at the MBTA do we need to send angry letters to? Here's a prime chance to get a brand new entrance for free, and those idiots are saying no?

Yeah, I was thinking the same...

I was talking with one of the architects after the meeting and she they had a chance to go in there earlier (just a few hours earlier, actually) and she claims there wasn't much room for a fare zone as it is now. I have no idea why seeing as it once was an entrance, but she seemed to be doubtful that it could have ever been an entrance in the past.

But anyways, it could have been really nice to open that up!

The MBTA sure needs a jab in the ribs for this one.

Could it have been an exit-only gate? That would be pretty easy to convert to a single Charlie gate today. No need even for fare vending machines if there isn't room for them; the T has several other entrances without them.

Yeah, I was thinking the same...

I was talking with one of the architects after the meeting and she they had a chance to go in there earlier (just a few hours earlier, actually) and she claims there wasn't much room for a fare zone as it is now. I have no idea why seeing as it once was an entrance, but she seemed to be doubtful that it could have ever been an entrance in the past.

But anyways, it could have been really nice to open that up!

The MBTA sure needs a jab in the ribs for this one.
The abandoned lobby is too small for today's standards, but you could put the fare gates right next to the platform right where the gated off passageway is. The CharlieTicket vending machines could go in the old lobby.

Here are pix:
http://sery2831.smugmug.com/Other/EssexChinatown-Abandoned-Exit/574941_itdmg#24026992_6eVdt

The pic I linked to is where I proposed they could put the gates.

Edit: This is the wrong abandoned exit. My bad.

Those pictures aren't of the Hayward Place northbound entrance (or exit). They are from the also-abandoned LaGrange Street entrance (or exit) to the southbound station, next to Centerfolds.

Those pictures aren't of the Hayward Place northbound entrance. They are from the also-abandoned LaGrange Street entrance to the southbound station, next to Centerfolds.

My bad. There's too many! Are there any interior pictures that exist of the Hayward Pl exit?

That I do not know. I could tell where these were, however, from the old sign in photos 1, 2, and 10.

Anywho, the building is growing on me, especially with the new renderings (photos 2 and 3).

RIP Hayward Place (the street). We never even knew ye.

Why does the BRA think an ordinary apartment building (that isn't a hotel) needs a drop-off driveway? Do they really expect that much taxi traffic?

RIP Hayward Place (the street). We never even knew ye.

The funny part is that the "backside" (there really shouldn't be a "backside") that fronts Hayward Pl would be the "front" in many other development locations either around Boston or the country itself. The building would be oriented completely opposite.

They said they left the backside a bit more open to let light in and down to the street. Also mentioned was that the sidewalk will be completely leveled out (the cutouts to the curb will be an incline, so cars are coming up off the road rather than pedestrians going down to road level. I'm not sure how this is going to liven the place up though, because there's really no pedestrian draw to it.

Just because it's more pleasant to walk through IF you have to [and probably already do], doesn't mean it will liven up.

Anyways, the main entrance (main pedestrian entrance) is on Washington and matches up exactly with Avery street so crossing Washington is more convenient.

The BRA is all about accommodating cars. They've essentially devoted the entire street of Hayward Pl totally to cars.

Other large hotels and residential buildings, like the Park Plaza and former Ritz Carleton Hotel and residences, seem to get along fine without needing to convert a whole street into a driveway.

Every time you place a curb cut and bring cars onto the sidewalk you create an interruption that has a deadening effect on the street. We should be trying to minimize/ eliminate these curb cuts and garage entrances as much as possible. The BRA seems to be doing the opposite.

Why the hell do we need a parking garage in this building anyways? It has subway stop built into it.

BTW, thanks for the pictures and the report BostonUrbEx.

^briv

Agreed on all points.

The curb cuts for Millennium on Avery, opposite from Blu, are insane.

the side without the ugly mullions is a winner...luckily that's the money side

Why the hell do we need a parking garage in this building anyways? It has subway stop built into it.

BTW, thanks for the pictures and the report BostonUrbEx.

Because future residents, especially those who own condos will own cars. It's very unlikely that the well-off folks would take the T. Also they are eliminating the current parking lot which serves a lot of employees in the area.

Back