Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

The window designs really rock at night. Try walking down Avery Street in the evening and see the theatre marquees reflected in all the angles. Works well along Washington also.

Great location placement for this design.

Did just that yesterday. It was really nice and I noticed a little more activity along that section as well. I'm really hoping that the new building will bring new pedestrian activity.

But it's good design, cluck.

Took a walk around the building a couple weeks ago, and while I very much like the sidewalk hugging, curving street-wall along Washington St., the obvious VE phase the exterior materials went through do the building no favors. I agree that a one material (glass) facade can be a bit cold (remember: glass is reflective more often than it is transparent - I'm talking to you Apple Store), the current material selection of cheesy two-tone brown brick and UNRELENTING bays of tiny-paned black curtainwall doesn't present a much more engaging alternative. The same two-material palette and oddly-scaled "bay-window" organization marches around the ENTIRE building, with no variation on any of the facades, and no discernible hierarchy among the "front" elevation, the courtyard elevations or any other secondary elevations. (the notion of hierarchy may be considered quaint, but I believe that it, along with even modest variations in texture and scale, contribute greatly to a building's and a street's success)
While not having been able to assess the unfinished ground floor and if it will contribute to the activation and extension of Downtown Crossing, here's hoping it can succeed where the upper floors have not.

Today:

8368882520_47f60bff99_b.jpg

8368883534_fa5a3844d1_b.jpg

8368878452_8c6fd0d2d4_b.jpg

8367808883_6be349cf82_b.jpg

8368881178_6acb0b6fe7_b.jpg

8367806149_951909e8db_b.jpg

8368872744_965937f93c_b.jpg

8367803265_28ff2fb918_b.jpg

I'm slowly coming around to the black, something about the angles make it easier for me.

What I like about this building is how different it is for Boston. Going to be a fine addition to the city.

Many of these pictures, especially the last one really show what makes a city architecturally interesting. A variety of architectural styles ranging from the very old to the brand new. All the buildings are interesting in their own regard, but their juxtaposition is what really makes them shine.

I think the brick will look a lot better with some aging and grime, but still in person it's not bad. Really love the glass though. The huge glass wall fits the area very well.

Great Pictures.

I am curious how the courtyard units do. You will either face directly across from your neighbor or towards the old RKO theater building on Harrison Ext / Essex St which has shown no signs of rejuvenation (unlike the Hyatt and building hosting the post office) despite the construction.

Not exactly an inviting streetwall on Hayward Pl. in that corner pic...sigh, why must there always be some gnawing imperfection?

Not exactly an inviting streetwall on Hayward Pl. in that corner pic...sigh, why must there always be some gnawing imperfection?

To draw the eye, and then to highlight the beauty elsewhere or heighten it by comparison?

From yesterday. I'd like this view more if this was a little bit taller.

img_0740_2.jpg

I'm worried about the backside of the building. That area has absolutely no street interaction and, as a result, feels a bit sketchy.

Great Pictures.

I am curious how the courtyard units do. You will either face directly across from your neighbor or towards the old RKO theater building on Harrison Ext / Essex St which has shown no signs of rejuvenation (unlike the Hyatt and building hosting the post office) despite the construction.

FWIW..and assuming we're both talking about the same building, it appears as though the RKO building is pretty well leased on the upper floors, so there is some activity there. The ground floor retail spaces, are largely vacant, but if they could get one or two tenants there, it should activate that streetscape a bit.

I'm worried about the backside of the building. That area has absolutely no street interaction and, as a result, feels a bit sketchy.

You're talking about the actual street called Hayward Place, right? Sure it won't be activated to its full potential, but it won't be some desolate, forlorn stretch either. The porte cochere should be well lit and see a steady stream of traffic, and then there's the MBTA entrances at the corner with Washington:

bostonchaywardplace11.jpg

Wait, I must have missed this earlier - there is going to be an entrance to Chinatown at the corner of the building?

Are you referring to the MBTA entrance?

You're talking about the actual street called Hayward Place, right? Sure it won't be activated to its full potential, but it won't be some desolate, forlorn stretch either. The porte cochere should be well lit and see a steady stream of traffic, and then there's the MBTA entrances at the corner with Washington:

bostonchaywardplace11.jpg

Well moreso down Harrison Ave and on the corner of Harrison Ave and Hayward Place

Back