Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

If there is a difference in foot traffic between DTX and the Back Bay it's a difference between a really insane amount of people and a really really insane amount of people.

Underg -- DTX is one of 4 main stations feeding the FID:
DTX -- Red & Orange
South Station -- Red & all South & SW CR
State Street -- Orange & Blue
Park St. -- Red & Green -- all branches

The best you can do in the area around Copley:
Copley -- Green -- all branches
Pru -- Green -- E-only
Auditorium -- Green all but E
Back Bay -- Orange & CR (only SW)

Clearly the transit is far superior in the DTX / FID area -- it also supports far more first class office space

The onlly real advantage of the Copley area is the internal connections which make it much more pleasant for foot traffic in the typically extended lousy winter and the sometimes excessively hot summer days

Put in some additonal underground connections from State to DTX and develop the underground network for access to more buildings for the lousy weather and DTX with the New Millenium Fillenes will brlossom again

Underg -- DTX is one of 4 main stations feeding the FID:
DTX -- Red & Orange
South Station -- Red & all South & SW CR
State Street -- Orange & Blue
Park St. -- Red & Green -- all branches

The best you can do in the area around Copley:
Copley -- Green -- all branches
Pru -- Green -- E-only
Auditorium -- Green all but E
Back Bay -- Orange & CR (only SW)

Clearly the transit is far superior in the DTX / FID area -- it also supports far more first class office space

The onlly real advantage of the Copley area is the internal connections which make it much more pleasant for foot traffic in the typically extended lousy winter and the sometimes excessively hot summer days

Put in some additonal underground connections from State to DTX and develop the underground network for access to more buildings for the lousy weather and DTX with the New Millenium Fillenes will brlossom again

Uh. Plus the busses. I don't ride busses, so they don't really count to me, but.... the busses. Numbers 1, 55, 29, 10, 9, 55. Never mind the private busses from BUMC, Harvard, Longwood hospitals, etc.

DTX to me feels like someplace people go for work. Or for a meal. Or for shopping. Not more than one at a time though.

Back Bay to me feels like someplace people go for work, then shop for a bit before meeting friends for dinner, then going out for a drink or coffee or ice cream.

I haven't heard any talk of what kinds of traffic they're getting at the Paramount and the Modern. The Paramount had an incredibly-ambitious program during its inaugural year and cut back a bit on the number of shows this year, I think I read, but it sounded as though it was a success. But, I don't know. I've never had a friend mention seeing a show there.

Anyone?

Good article on Banker & Tradesman about the Filenes Deal going on. You need to be a subcriber.

A Shadowy Deal
"The New Filene’s Agreement Is A PR Coup For Menino & Millenium. But There Are Pitfalls & Double Standards Lurking In The Shadows"

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/news148589.html
Can you give us the gist of it for non-subscribers? Are NIMBYs preparing to fight this tower and shadows?

Why does the station need to be rebuilt? It seems to work OK the way it is. If we're going to rebuild a major station, I'd rather it be Hynes which really needs ADA accessibility.

Park-DTX (I enjoy lumping them together due to proximity and the Winter St concourse) should be entirely rebuilt in 100 years (honest time frame, that's when I see it happening) with pedestrian mezzanines on the topmost level, with a contiguous pedestrian passage (Winter/Summer St Concourse) from Beacon&Park to South Station (or damn close, who knows if the Tip O'Neil or Silver Line will still exist in 100 years, they may crumble away). This level should be continuously fare controlled and chock full of shops and entryways into One Franklin, One Summer, and many other buildings around.

2nd level down, light rail (Union Sq to Dudley, Union Sq to Boston College) and local Orange Line. Winter St concourse between light rail and Orange Line.

3rd level down, [local] Red Line stations.

4th level down, Green Line (heavy rail) which runs out down a combined E line and D line. Express Orange Line platforms. Another concourse with stairs in the middle and at the ends down to a center platform below.

5th level down, if deemed so desirable, is Red Line express platform (yes, singular). Place it straight down from Winter St.

Yeah, I'm a dreamer.

EDIT: But, back to the present and not year 2100, we should definitely invest in glossing over the station. We need to hide the hideous web of piping and wiring that 100 years of upgrading and repair has brought us. Refurnish the walls, ceiling, and floor. Just make it look nice for now. It should be our prized jewel at the heart of our network.

There are some intriguingly novel ideas here (which still make me wary for lack of specificity - like "an indoor Post Office Square") and some criminally terrible ones (from the narrowmindedly provincial and narcissistic "exhibit display [ed - what is an "exhibit display"?] that showcases how people with connections to the greater Boston area have become brand names in every category" to attempts to repackage failed businesses through nostalgia - "Maybe get Kennedy’s, RH Whites, Jordan Marsh brands as small memory shops").

These "ideas for Filene's / DTC" articles need to stop unless someone is going to inject an iota of seriousness and practicality into the matter. The MOMA in NY just did an exhibit on architects' ideas for suburban sprawl repair and its architecture curator forced the participants each at least to consider actual problems like commuting distances and infrastructure costs before they could engage in their typical flights of theoretical fancy.

Actually, I think the idea of a "heritage store" market could be a wonderful idea and help differentiate the retail in DTX. It has to be done well, of course - recreate the unique customer value proposition of a bunch of urban businesses laced with nostalgia. It could work.

The "Boston connections hall of fame exhibit hall" on the other hand... That actually made me twitch while reading it. It comes from someone working for the local BID so I suppose their mandate, in a sense, is to explicitly be parochial?

Why does the station need to be rebuilt? It seems to work OK the way it is. If we're going to rebuild a major station, I'd rather it be Hynes which really needs ADA accessibility.

It's a major station in Boston, second only to Park (for the subway) and it is an absolute dump.

It's a major station in Boston, second only to Park (for the subway) and it is an absolute dump.

Mass -- The key to fixing DTX overll and the pat of DTX in particular is to connect the Orange Line platforms DTX to State

Then you have an underground way to get from Blue to Red with Orange and Green accessible as well

This would totally alter the T's core as people would then flow on foot between the best subway connections

The large flow of people would present an opportunity to create a year-round weather proof area housing multiple small-scale vendors supplying needs of commuters and the occasional tourists

The other key to the rebirth of DTX is lots of buildings connected into the network of stations through their basement -- the true DTX

A lot of this can be done during the construction of One Millennium Square or whatever they'll call it

It is a major station connecting two really busy lines. There a couple of major issues with it for me:
1. the platforms are far too narrow. There is not enough room to provide egress from the trains for exiting passengers amongst those trying to get on and those waiting for a braintree/ashmont train in the case of southbound. Compare to the upgraded Maverick. Not a Taj Mahal but plenty of room.
2. Movement between Orange and Red Lines: The long narrow tunnels restrict movement. They should at least be wide enough to allow 3 people across.
3. Too many entrances: Yep. I know, most people would like that but it is confusing. There should be fewer, better, larger portals with fewer, better controlled fare collection points. South Station Red/Silver Line comes to mind.

Why now instead of in 100 years? Opportunity. This area is going to be a big construction zone anyway. Everything is going to have to be torn up to provide utilities and foundations for 600' of tower. I don't know for sure but my suspicion is that whatever infrastructure is on site can't handle that many toilets and televisions. Ya gotta dig. Might was well dig more.

In my dreams, there would be a street level entry plaza with actual light, plus elevators, escalators, and stairs to the platforms at both levels. Underground passages would be wide and light and would have less pee. The platforms would be wider to accommodate more passengers moving about.

For the developer, I think this would be an amenity for office tenants. Employees could come in from just about anywhere in the region via subway or commuter rail and not need to go outside after they leave their cars at the station. As one who walks from South Station to my building that would be amazing. Not being wet or cold. wow.

At any rate, while not necessarily a win-win, it could be a win-not lose. The City needs to push for the improvements and access. The developer could use it to their benefit.

^^^^The MBTA also needs to upgrade the CARS for the Orange, RED, BLUE.
***Efficient
***Energy Efficient
*** Faster

Just a more efficient, Clean, system.

This statement makes too much commonsense. You should be the head of the city planning agency after this one statement. I'm sure nobody is even thinking this way.
Why now instead of in 100 years? Opportunity. This area is going to be a big construction zone anyway. Everything is going to have to be torn up to provide utilities and foundations for 600' of tower. I don't know for sure but my suspicion is that whatever infrastructure is on site can't handle that many toilets and televisions. Ya gotta dig. Might was well dig more.

Hopefully the city planning dept & MBTA should have been planning a massive upgrade on these sites as the developments were being proposed.

***Efficient
***Energy Efficient
*** Faster

This statement makes too much commonsense. You should be the head of the city planning agency after this one statement. I'm sure nobody is even thinking this way.

Hopefully the city planning dept & MBTA should have been planning a massive upgrade on these sites as the developments were being proposed.

Semass, Riff - all of those are good points and eventually can be done

However, the opportunity connected with the Hole an the tower are once per generation or less frequently

the weather-agnostic connections of DTX and the tower to State and South Station are important - with the connection to State far easier and far more important and doable right now

The City needs to push for the improvements and access. The developer could use it to their benefit.

This is what NYC does. A new building in Times Sq just opened and added a giant new entrance that will help pedestrians from having to cross the busy avenue. (Can't seem to find a picture of the subway entrance but you get the idea).

11timessquare.gif

Also the MTA is building a massive new station (well, massive new mezzanine connecting a bunch of stations) downtown which will allow for natural light and retail in the new complex. This is what DTX could use.

Link

image640x480.jpg

image640x480.jpg

image640x480.jpg

image640x480.jpg

***Efficient
***Energy Efficient
*** Faster

How about the signals? Here's something that has always boggled me: from time to time, a red line in bound train will stop just short of the North Quincy State. Sit there for a few minutes and then proceed into the station, why is that? I get annoyed seeing the train 10 feet from me and not moving.

Isn't that station all federal 9/11 money? Also the MTA has pretty much gotten a free pass from the Feds when it comes to ADA.

VAN..............That entire proposal you just posted would be PERFECT for Filenes location.

I think Boston would look better Mahattization type style at this point. A city is city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back