Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

it sort of looks like the original design for the filene's site doesn't it?

The ground floor looks Awesome.........wide open on both sides, plasma screens with a sometype of Ball spinning off the top.

This is what Downtown Boston needs.

Isn't that station all federal 9/11 money? Also the MTA has pretty much gotten a free pass from the Feds when it comes to ADA.

The Fulton Transit Center is a federal project but that doesn't mean that it can't be a model for what Boston could try for (architecturally speaking, financially the thing is a boondoggle and is way over budget and past due).

The Fulton Transit Center is a federal project but that doesn't mean that it can't be a model for what Boston could try for (architecturally speaking, financially the thing is a boondoggle and is way over budget and past due).

Buzz word!!

I also think this type of project would be ideal for DTX. I would like to see the shopping scene get revived via at least a revamped Shopping Concourse, which would improve/provide transit connections as well.

4 billion and growing

They are a block apart and will connect but are two separate projects.

I sure hope we get something better than the NYC building. There's too much going on there IMO. The building looks top heavy. What's with the sphere over the entrance? Is it supposed to be some sort of homage to the Daily Planet? Overpowering the entrance are led light signs. I like the idea of led signage, just not something that hits one over the head. I'd hope for a more sophisticated, sleek building with retail at street level and subdued signage. This building looks like it's shouting, "Hey look at me, I'm a circus!"

I sure hope we get something better than the NYC building. There's too much going on there IMO. The building looks top heavy. What's with the sphere over the entrance? Is it supposed to be some sort of homage to the Daily Planet? Overpowering the entrance are led light signs. I like the idea of led signage, just not something that hits one over the head. I'd hope for a more sophisticated, sleek building with retail at street level and subdued signage. This building looks like it's shouting, "Hey look at me, I'm a circus!"

This building is 11 Times Sq and is mandated by lay (no, really) to have that signage. The only part I'm really referring to is the new subway entrance.

I think Berlin's U-Bhf Hermannplatz would be the perfect case study for DTX/Filene's. The critical link to Karstadt means more than just being a link to a department store. The entire basement of Karstadt is a now supermarket and DM (Germany's CVS), thus you can do all your shopping underground and never brave the harsh elements. Having these amenities in DTX would be superb.

Hermannplatz U7 platform 1930, before the original Karstadt got destroyed:
treppeu7.jpg

Hermannplatz U7 platform today (with new stair and elevator):
aufzugx.jpg

Back a few pages we were talking about street level and how much will be needed for loading coks etc. and I had a brainchild. I don't know how viable it is of a brainchild or if it is stillborn, but hear me out.

Major train station already connects to 2 major buildings below grade, and a few future projects could conceivably be as well (small service tunnel/corridors would be needed). The T stops running at 1am. Shipments at places like these like to come in overnight. I'm envisioning Big Red Car front to back, gutted of all seats to be dedicated shipping trains. These are heavy rail lines at DTX, so I assume they could handle it. Eithe rhave service corridors connected to platforms with one way doors, or have dedicated shipping platforms a little ways down from the pedestrian platforms which are for shipping only. Most products for mercantile business are pallet loaded and shrinkwrapped so they would fit thru T doors on pallet jacks and wheeled to service elevators.

It also a way for the T to make money by leasing it's tracks for this use. Load em in the suburbs and deliver into the buildings with no street level interaction.

I thought it was a decent idea if possible, and decided to share.

Back a few pages we were talking about street level and how much will be needed for loading coks etc. and I had a brainchild.

Hey, hey, this isn't that kind of website. :D

Seriously, though, I like your idea about the shipping capability after 1am. THAT'S an economically productive idea.

Hey, hey, this isn't that kind of website. :D

Seriously, though, I like your idea about the shipping capability after 1am. THAT'S an economically productive idea.

Hmmm. Freudian slip, or thinking about what they used to do a couple blocks away....

I think Berlin's U-Bhf Hermannplatz would be the perfect case study for DTX/Filene's. The critical link to Karstadt means more than just being a link to a department store. The entire basement of Karstadt is a now supermarket and DM (Germany's CVS), thus you can do all your shopping underground and never brave the harsh elements. Having these amenities in DTX would be superb.

Love those German food mall-ish areas connected to the U-Bahn -- I can still visualize the great flavorfull franks hanging here there and everywhere and their pleasant aroma wafting through the spaces -- and other sausages for sale to be cooked later or cooked for you so you can stroll and eat

fabulous -- that would really rev-up DTX -- today there's just one really boring place to buy hot off the warming lamp hot dogs

Love those German food mall-ish areas connected to the U-Bahn -- I can still visualize the great flavorfull franks hanging here there and everywhere and their pleasant aroma wafting through the spaces -- and other sausages for sale to be cooked later or cooked for you so you can stroll and eat

fabulous -- that would really rev-up DTX -- today there's just one really boring place to buy hot off the warming lamp hot dogs

I too would love to see Le Crobag stands all over the MBTA. DTX is the perfect place to kick it off. =P

That's the wurst idea.

Does anyone have an update on the progress of the project. When the deal with Millennium Partners was announced it was stated that city officials believed that MP would file a revised plan of the project within 60 days, as of now its been 77 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back