Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Millennium Tower - Filene's

That's true, but it doesn't mean the BRA mandated the demolition of the Dainty Dot. The developer still had the option to save the building, yet chose not too.

Another stupid play.

"I'll kill this puppy unless you let me give it to a good home"

*Gunman finds a perfectly suitable home*

BRA: "Nah, we don't like the home you picked, could you find anou-"*BANG!*

That's true, but it doesn't mean the BRA mandated the demolition of the Dainty Dot. The developer still had the option to save the building, yet chose not too.

Another stupid play.

Now, I think that's a little harsh on the developer. If the BRA changed the constraints so any solution which incorporated the historic building (which would have been very expensive to include and renovate) was not economically feasible, the developer doesn't really bear the blame for proposing solutions which demolished it. I think it's more like:

"I have a puppy here which needs a good home. Can you think of one?"

BRA: "KEEP IT IN YOUR HOUSE! FEED IT MILLION-DOLLAR DOG FOOD! I'LL KILL IT MYSELF IF I HEAR IT BARKING AT NIGHT!"

"But... I found a nice family for it, and I can't afford a dog, and they really want one..."

BRA: "Forget it. Just kill it already so we can get on with things."

"But... I can come up with a list of 5 homes, and you can pick..."

BRA: "Oh, just get rid of it already..." *BANG*

Michael Vick is jerking off to this thread now.

9405915040_4998e27dd1_b.jpg

9403156499_c48d03e17b_b.jpg

9405908158_b1850933d3_b.jpg

9405902414_dde843ec89_c.jpg

1st Picture is very painful to look at.

3rd Picture (Just look at the row to the right of Antiques)
The 3rd picture shows the Hope & Brightness DTX will have in the end.

A Strip of Restaurant & Bars would be great for Washington Street. I just don't know how they would survive with the amount of competition in the city.

Another stupid play.

Not if the developers have to build shorter. If I remember correctly, another reason why it chopped was because some people thought it was too tall as well, meaning all the extra money they could have made with the extra height that could have been spent on saving the facade no longer exist. This one is on the BRA, not the developers.

Also that sounds like something PETA would do.

A Strip of Restaurant & Bars would be great for Washington Street. I just don't know how they would survive with the amount of competition in the city.

Huh? Just like restaurants on the South Boston waterfront would never survive with all of the competition from the Back Bay, South End, North End etc.? (or for that matter many years ago, people wondered if restaurants in the south end would survive). Of course a well done restaurant/bar row on Washington Street would do well. There are plenty of officer workers looking for good places to eat and drink during and after work hours. Not to mention the thousands of residents that will be moving in to the area in the next decade. Not to mention all of the college students.....

Not sure if it's been posted yet or not, but does anyone know, or have a schedule of the entire tower project?

They are removing the rest of the stone with care today:

2013-08-01095120_zps373584ac.jpg

Not sure if it's been posted yet or not, but does anyone know, or have a schedule of the entire tower project?

IIRC, goal is to be finished between 2018-2020. Tower construction schedule itself is a 4 year span plus however long the approval process takes.

IIRC, goal is to be finished between 2018-2020. Tower construction schedule itself is a 4 year span plus however long the approval process takes.

Not sure what approvals are necessary. The BRA signed off on the entire project last September. During their presentation, the Millennium group estimatd construction of the tower would take roughly 3 years. If the tower begins in November, we should be looking at a late 2016 completion.

I'm setting the over/under for completion at August 15, 2017.

I'm setting the over/under for completion at August 15, 2017.

That's reasonable, and I certainly hope it's the under. However, for me, I'm most excited about it being topped out (and finally raising the plateau after almost 40 years). What do you think the over/under for that will be? I'm going to put it at June 1, 2015.

I think some of you are setting yourselves and others up for disappointment with an overly ambitious schedule.

I may have an outdated perspective though because at the meeting some of us attended for the approval, other things hadn't been approved yet like the construction schedule and staging plan. Filene's also hadn't finalized a tenant and the developers made it very clear that no tower construction would even begin until Filene's was restored. They found a tenant and were able to start work on the Filene's building much sooner than they planned, so they very well could have accelerated the schedule for the tower... who knows...

Well at the very least when visitors and people not in the know visit DTX, they'll see activity on the site and think it's under construction. A far cry from the years where it was a big hole sitting lifeless.

So right now they're renovating/rebuilding the Burnham building?

Are they also going to do prep work on the tower's foundation too?

That's reasonable, and I certainly hope it's the under. However, for me, I'm most excited about it being topped out (and finally raising the plateau after almost 40 years). What do you think the over/under for that will be? I'm going to put it at June 1, 2015.

I'll take the over on the Jule 1, 2015 topping off but not by much. Maybe 2-4 months.

datadyne, is it really that far fetched to think this project can be more or less complete 4 years from today? Word on the street is that the tower construction will start this fall. I don't think they need a full 4 years. I think they can realistically construct the tower in 3.5 years. This is a Suffolk project, no? I know no two projects are comparable but look at how quick they put up the 25 story Dainty Dot building. That steel all went up in 6-8 months.

^Agreed. It's one of my least favorite pieces of PoMo in town (the lobby off Arch St is quite nice, but that's mostly due to its being framed by two much older buildings).

I think Toby pays for all his kibbles n bits from in that building

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back