Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 bromfield might as well start! This will take awhile.

1 bromfield might as well start! This will take awhile.

1 Bromfield might as well not start, ever. It is one of the 2 most deleterious projects out there right now (with Druker's demo of the Arlington Building). Both of them would replace great, historic structures with the sort of architecture and materials that are best suited for an ATM hut in the middle of a strip mall parking lot. No thanks.

1 Bromfield might as well not start, ever. It is one of the 2 most deleterious projects out there right now (with Druker's demo of the Arlington Building). Both of them would replace great, historic structures with the sort of architecture and materials that are best suited for an ATM hut in the middle of a strip mall parking lot. No thanks.

Not familiar with the Arlington building but they should level from city sports to AT&T and start over. Plenty of historical buildings around them. Half the stores are closed anyway, and with Payless on the corner it looks slummy.

Demolishing those structures would help sales at Millenium tower.

Not familiar with the Arlington building but they should level from city sports to AT&T and start over. Plenty of historical buildings around them. Half the stores are closed anyway, and with Payless on the corner it looks slummy.

Demolishing those structures would help sales at Millenium tower.

Agreed. "They" should also replace Trinity Church with an apartment block made with that innovative new alucobond material. Or even a parking lot would be better than that old crap. That would definitely help sales at the new Copley Place Tower.

Agreed. "They" should also replace Trinity Church with an apartment block made with that innovative new alucobond material. Or even a parking lot would be better than that old crap. That would definitely help sales at the new Copley Place Tower.

I take it you don't agree with me...

Sometimes I see where you "preservationists" are coming from...but that Payless block is hideous.

Hysterical much?

12989326635_a9eee31690_b.jpg

It's reflecting one of the ugliest garages in the city, and it still looks great!

I take it you don't agree with me...

Sometimes I see where you "preservationists" are coming from...but that Payless block is hideous.

Apologize in advance for veering off topic on this thread, but I'll side with Itchy on One Bromfield. Too many One Bromfields then downtown crossing will begin to feel more like middle of the financial district - large fairly sterile towers. I think the historic buildings left in the ladder district and downtown crossing are it's greatest asset. Restaurants, bars, apartments, even hotels are moving into these older buildings in Downtown Crossing.

It's shortsighted to demolish these buildings because the current tenants are down market. If this project involved a tower with a smaller footprint sparing the corner building housing payless, maybe i'd change my opinion. But, as currently proposed, I think it's a step in the wrong direction in the long run.

I only saw this at night, but from what I gathered when I walked by is that the right panel isn't actually glass at all. It is extremely dark, reflective spandrel. Looks really good though!

Just one or two details that might not have been elaborated on photographically yet:

Namely: The installation of inset glass around the central section; the glazing here is the same as the central portion as opposed to the different panes marking the parapet.

The silver mullions (not white, as I had previously thought) also slightly extrude from the glass planes. A nice subtle touch.

I also took a look at the cladding sample for the first time and it didn't disappoint. It's extremely reflective, very opaque, and very beautiful.

Including me for scale:

I also took a look at the cladding sample for the first time and it didn't disappoint. It's extremely reflective, very opaque, and very beautiful.

Including me for scale:

Good thing the building isn't concave!

Walked by the sight today, took a look at the mock-up. Got a question for people who are more experienced than me though, and that is: How do you tell that this particular glass is really nice? To an average viewer like me, it just sort of looks like normal glass. What makes it so impressive?

Walked by the sight today, took a look at the mock-up. Got a question for people who are more experienced than me though, and that is: How do you tell that this particular glass is really nice? To an average viewer like me, it just sort of looks like normal glass. What makes it so impressive?

- Smokey gray tint (not green or blue)
- Perfect opacity/mirror finish
- Black thin-profile mullions (not silver and thick, this is a major aesthetic plus)
- Tall single panes for typical floors with no intermediate mullions (enhances verticality)
- "Faux windows" for MEP areas/areas with no windows (window on the right isn't actually a window)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back