Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja'd by datadyne, but here's some visuals for you, at the very least...

Generally, high-quality glass has less "wavy" reflections than lower quality glass. Some good examples of this can be found on 4 World Trade Center in New York...

12262342985_800b0fbc63_b.jpg

CragarLanette

And this building going up in San Francisco:
12843754523_bdd2ab2fbd_b.jpg

12843762093_72eb05439a_b.jpg

(Both from here)

As I understand, there are other factors- color, I think? I am no glass engineer. But waviness, to me, is the big one. As you can see, the reflection in the sample is quite nice.

Thanks for the updates beeline, I've been itching for some updates and i havent been through that area in a few weeks.

^That's gonna be a great view. From my office in Cambridge, this building will cut out a fair bit of 1 beacon, which is going to be great.

One Beacon is that big brown one popping out above the state house's gold dome

You mean 1 Fed?

Completely off topic, but I was looking at the new version of google maps, and noticed something strange when I zoomed into the city. It turns out that, from above, 1 Fed isn't a rectangle at all, but a trapezoid! The wide sides are the same length, but one of the thin sides has one more set of windows across than the other one. Mind blown!

^ Yup there isn't a single street down in that area that runs perfectly parallel to one another, and 1 Fed simply conforms to the geometries. Too bad it's still a big brown turd.

I dunno, I don't mind 1 Fed. 1 Beacon has always been my big brown turd, especially from the north side.

Everyone has their own big brown turd I suppose.

I dunno, I don't mind 1 Fed. 1 Beacon has always been my big brown turd, especially from the north side.

Everyone has their own big brown turd I suppose.

Mines 1 Boston place...

Funny how every "One" building in Boston is terrible. One MPD being the latest. We should have seen the signs!

Agreed. One Beacon is the worst of the BBT's because (a) it is the most banal of the bunch, (b) it interacts so poorly with the street and the historical sites around it, and (c) it is so prominent on the skyline. It sits so close to Beacon Hill that it will most likely never be screened from view.

Reading about Goodwin moving to the Seaport after being on State for 100 years made me wonder--is it conceivable that Class A+ tenants will start moving out of downtown to the extent that some of these BBTs will need to substantially upgrade to keep their prestige? Is it possible that some of them could be reclad, or is that expense so crazy it would never make economic sense?

Reading about Goodwin moving to the Seaport after being on State for 100 years made me wonder--is it conceivable that Class A+ tenants will start moving out of downtown to the extent that some of these BBTs will need to substantially upgrade to keep their prestige? Is it possible that some of them could be reclad, or is that expense so crazy it would never make economic sense?

I feel like cladding is the least of a company's worries when it comes to relocating or looking for new office space.

Funny how every "One" building in Boston is terrible. One MPD being the latest. We should have seen the signs!

1 IP isn't terrible (except I know many of you hate the approximately 1/8 worth that has palladian windows).

Funny how every "One" building in Boston is terrible.

Is the Filene's tower still going to be called One Franklin, or has the new developer jettisoned that name?

Is the Filene's tower still going to be called One Franklin, or has the new developer jettisoned that name?

No. Millennium Tower. One Franklin and everything associated with it is thankfully dead.

I've asked the same question before. Downtown has a huge percentage of its class A space at or nearing the 50-year-old mark and while many of them have gotten key upgrades (lobbies, telecom) in the last decade or two the fact remains that they're getting up there in age. Give it another 10-20 years and I'm sure we'll see someone come along and hit the all out reset button on one of our beloved turds, complete with a shiny all-glass facade.

I feel like cladding is the least of a company's worries when it comes to relocating or looking for new office space.

Maybe not for the lessee but to the property owner sometimes that's the only solution, especially if your building has some godawful '60s single pane windows that do nothing but run up your electric bill. Plus you can then tout how you've gone green and charge more for rent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back