Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at 02124's pictures, it appears excavating is more or less complete and that they're flattening the bottom of the hole. Hopefully a foundation pour will be coming in the next few weeks!

As of right now, from my vantage point, I can still see the diggers taking dirt out of the pit and dump trucks full of dirt being hauled away. Hopefully they are almost done. It's been a solid 4-5 months of excavation work.

As of right now, from my vantage point, I can still see the diggers taking dirt out of the pit and dump trucks full of dirt being hauled away. Hopefully they are almost done. It's been a solid 4-5 months of excavation work.

this is especially crazy seeing as the hole was already dug out

Forgive me for backtracking here - forgive me if you folks have spent pages arguing about this hundreds of pages ago; when I originally joined ArchBoston, I did my best to scan through and read the more engaging discussions.

I know full well we're pretty much stuck with the design and I can appreciate the fact that we're getting some considerable height added to our skyline. However, I feel like I'm the only one who cannot celebrate this tower's design on height, building material quality, and similarity to a glass prism alone.

I've recently fallen behind on following the thread and coincidentally came across the original designs for One Franklin before the retrospective posts on here. TBH, Millennium Tower still irks me for its missed opportunity at architectural and human scale contribution to the streetscape at DTX.

boston_millennium-tower-boston_1.jpg

This rendering may show the hyper-realistic glow of the activities inside, but in reality, if the podium glass is going to be as highly reflective, smooth and consistent as the mock, it will be adding little texture to the building at the scale that matters.

For its architectural 'zaniness' and 'schizophrenia', I very much appreciated how the podium of One Franklin made the building better reflect its varied neighbours and in turn brought scale and a respectful architectural 'echo' to the Burnham Building.

filenetowerwashingtonwt4.jpg

As I was walking from my office to Fanueil Hall for the Boston Bikes Update, I remembered another building that irks me for what feels like a lazy and irreverent interface of modern glass curtainwall and historical preservation: Exchange Place

w29J6yU.jpg

Someone walk me off the edge of my soapbox if everyone's already metered their expectations for this building and the enthusiasm is mainly over the fact that something is happening. Sometimes I feel like we're throwing a ticker tape parade in here over a sadly (architecturally) underwhelming building that is just filling the void and will be something tall to look at...

You are not alone, there are a few of us here beating the same drum.

The razing of the 1905 facade was particularly painful.

This was one hell of a winter on the hole.

Agreed. With that, new support of excavation installation, removal of old walers and rakers, ground water hiccups, etc...

It looks like they are flying now. Saw a few machines come out of the hole over the weekend, and it looks like rebar is showing up daily.

Agreed. With that, new support of excavation installation, removal of old walers and rakers, ground water hiccups, etc...

It looks like they are flying now. Saw a few machines come out of the hole over the weekend, and it looks like rebar is showing up daily.

Yes, truckloads of rebar are arriving this morning. Must be close to starting the pour for the tower.

^ Is this going to have a core, as we've come to think of them? I thought this was going to be caste-in-place.

Yeah, this is going to be full cast in place. If anything, they're prepping to finally pour the foundation.

^ Cast in place still has some sort of core doesn't it? I know 432 park in NY has a core that leads the perimeter floor plates by about 2 weeks. I think there are a couple of buildings under construction in Chicago that are CIP with a core.

DigitalSciGuy - I think your observations are correct re: final design of tower - most particularly the base of the building.

Also, I agree exchange place is an awkward facadetomy especially when viewed from the old state house. Contrast Atlantic wharf which is a much better end result.

I'm a big fan of atlantic wharf, and think it should be a model for how a modern building can still interface/blend in well with existing buildings at street level.

boston_millennium-tower-boston_1.jpg

This rendering may show the hyper-realistic glow of the activities inside, but in reality, if the podium glass is going to be as highly reflective, smooth and consistent as the mock, it will be adding little texture to the building at the scale that matters.

Why would they want the ground floor retail glass to be reflective? I thought big, bright, transparent windows were prized by retailers.

I guess I swallowed that rendering hook, line, and sinker. I fully expect to see 5 floors of floor-to-ceiling windows gleaming with non-stop bustling activity from a block or more away.

Obviously I'm very eager for this project, but I haven't seen any evidence to temper my high expectations. Have you? Or are you (understandably) pessimistic about any downtown development?

I fear the ground floor will end up like the W Hotel. Perhaps it will turn out better than the "W", but in the interim, I'm skeptical.

With 196,000 square feet of retail space, I hardly think that the ground floor is going to end up anything like the W Hotel.

The MBTA has a notice that the Summer Street entrance to Downtown Crossing station will close for two months starting some time in mid-April. The notice doesn't explain why, but I assume it has something to do with Filene's construction.

With 196,000 square feet of retail space, I hardly think that the ground floor is going to end up anything like the W Hotel.

We'll see... It is my understanding the lion's share of the retail space will be in the Burnham, maybe 60k of retail in the tower portion.

Man, is the womp womp already happening with this project? It's still a hole in the ground guys. The ground floor is like the last thing to be finished...

We'll see... It is my understanding the lion's share of the retail space will be in the Burnham, maybe 60k of retail in the tower portion.

All of Washington St and the corner of Washington & Franklin (former Shoppers Park) is all retail. The only non-retail at the ground floor is on Franklin for the condo lobby and Summer St for the Burnham office lobby.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back