Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to one of the concrete guys I spoke to this afternoon, if I heard him right, they're planning to do a massive 3-day long concrete pour over or near the Easter weekend: 24/7 continuous pour of a 6-foot deep slab over the entire base of the pit. Said they've been delayed by discovery of the ground water they've been pumping out over the past few weeks. The concrete silos near the Burnham wall are for sewer connections. Apparently, the two big square holes (one now filling with rebar) are anchors.

While the site is not exactly the high spine of Boston, I am surprised they would encounter significant ground water problems. They are not very deep. Wonder if they were able to determine where the flow was from.

Groundwater? I thought the subway was right below this thing. Geography is weird.

Apparently, the two big square holes (one now filling with rebar) are anchors.[/QUOTE]

Umm...no. They're "elevator pits", not "anchors." And now it looks like there will be three, not two. And one of the PMs said they are taking all kinds of photos from a number of locations, including aerial - but couldn't say whether they'll be made public.

And one of the PMs said they are taking all kinds of photos from a number of locations, including aerial - but couldn't say whether they'll be made public.

I HAVE to imagine that there'll be a webcam somewhere. You just don't build something of this size and not have a time lapse video of it going up.

You are not alone, there are a few of us here beating the same drum.

The razing of the 1905 facade was particularly painful.

I compare these large projects with the John Hancock tower (and totally agree with the above assessment of Exchange Place, a true failure of urban planning at a key corner). The Hancock is a total and utter bore at ground level despite plaza, wider sidewalks and reflective glass (who wants to look at oneself while walking along..."who's that old man in the mirror....oh, it's I!"). And I have a lot of reservations about the stepped bandstand or whatever that is outside at the corner of Franklin....as if most of these public "amenities" around town have actually been of any use (I think of a similar one at the Rudolph First Church site on Marlboro St.) The step at Franklin are likely going to be used by skateboarders or homeless people. Who's really going to put on a concert or whatever at this busy location? I do appreciate having the hole filled finally but lament the loss of the 1905 portion also.

While the site is not exactly the high spine of Boston, I am surprised they would encounter significant ground water problems. They are not very deep. Wonder if they were able to determine where the flow was from.

When I was doing the due diligence report on this thing (back when Filene's still had a Basement). I was down at the lowest level of the basements. Below basement level 4, was an open groundwater pit with pumps. This was, according to the maintenance dude I was walking around with, 35 feet below sea level. So it was deep.

I then fell into said groundwater pit. I still have my mud smeared notes from that day. April/May 2006. Dang. 8 years later, we should see something come out of the ground maybe by May. Better, late than never.

You haven't been on here that long... There is a cycle:

1) Post article from Globe, Herald, or BBJ
2) Excitement ensues for 3-10 posts.
3) Rendering released. 10-30 more posts, possibly from only 2-5 members about the architectural apocalypse being upon us.
4) Community meeting time... NIMBYs/BRA suck, this wouldn't happen in NYC, etc.
5) Revised proposal released. Floors cut, value engineering done, and discussion about alucobond.
6) More community meetings and bitching. Something keeps being posted about "lack of vision and the Krafts/seaport". Thread also derails into some ridiculous topic like this thread, independent movie houses now closed, or DTX BIDs.
7) Construction may or may not start. Surprise BRA or Mass Dep/DOT permitting issue.
8) If construction continues, some awesome folks will do their damnedest to document it all with a gallery of pics.
9) For every 1 pic there is a ration of 5-10 posts judging materials like precast and glazing. 50% chance of thread derailing again. And with construction not even at 10% complete people will declare the building to be the end of Boston.
10) Building complete, it turns out 'not as bad' as people thought or 'better than a parking lot'. Thread dies.

So looks like we're at step 9. Good job sticking to form, everyone!

^ I think we'll be bouncing between 8 and 9 for a while haha

boston_millennium-tower-boston_1.jpg

This rendering may show the hyper-realistic glow of the activities inside, but in reality, if the podium glass is going to be as highly reflective, smooth and consistent as the mock, it will be adding little texture to the building at the scale that matters.

I much prefer this street level iteration to earlier versions. There's precious little of the "lantern" night effect to be found around here. The new Berklee tower is an exception and hopefully becomes a more frequent alternative to the opaqueness and heaviness of masonry.

There are still plenty of vocal cheerleaders for this project. And on the other side, nobody is saying that this building is/will be a disaster. It is possible to be supportive of a project while still being critical of the same. No project is perfect. It is fair to play armchair critic and point out a projects flaws.

Who's really going to put on a concert or whatever at this busy location? .

Respectfully, I think you are dead wrong. I have worked a block from this site for 13 years so I am there all the time. This past summer/early fall there were at least 10-15 concerts/block parties held in downtown crossing in the narrow strip between Macy's and Filene's during the week around 5pm. Every time I walked by during these, they were VERY heavily attended. You could even drink beer on the street in a beer garden. When this project is complete, they could certainly move those events over there. And you really don't think people would sit and have lunch there while listening to some music on a nice day? The real question is what the area will be like on a Tuesday at 7pm in the middle of February.

Respectfully, I think you are dead wrong. I have worked a block from this site for 13 years so I am there all the time. This past summer/early fall there were at least 10-15 concerts/block parties held in downtown crossing in the narrow strip between Macy's and Filene's during the week around 5pm. Every time I walked by during these, they were VERY heavily attended. You could even drink beer on the street in a beer garden. When this project is complete, they could certainly move those events over there. And you really don't think people would sit and have lunch there while listening to some music on a nice day? The real question is what the area will be like on a Tuesday at 7pm in the middle of February.

The DTX Block Parties were hosted by the BID every Thursday after work. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The last party of the season was on September 26, 2013. DTX has been hopping. Millennium Tower is only going to keep that awesome momentum going.

From the DTX Block Parties Facebook:

LAST BLOCK PARTY TONIGHT! Make sure you come by after work for your last SAPPORO USA, Narragansett Beer, and Wicked Wines of the summer! Our coolers will be full, the sun will be out, and live music will be playing! See you on Summer Street at 5.

66147_706481602698743_67599307_n.jpg

Last edited:
The DTX Block Parties were hosted by the city itself every Thursday after work. I really enjoyed the atmosphere and everyone seemed to be having a great time. The last party of the season as on September 26, 2013. DTX has been hopping. Millennium Tower is only going to keep that awesome momentum going.

From the DTX Block Parties Facebook:

LAST BLOCK PARTY TONIGHT! Make sure you come by after work for your last SAPPORO USA, Narragansett Beer, and Wicked Wines of the summer! Our coolers will be full, the sun will be out, and live music will be playing! See you on Summer Street at 5.

66147_706481602698743_67599307_n.jpg

I went to one. It was neat. But, too small and tight. Needed more beer vendors, cuz the lines were insane.

But, neat and fun nonetheless, and I want them to continue and be successful. Great idea for the area.

This may have been mentioned but it's hard to imagine the steps aren't based on the Tickets outlet in Times Square. That seems to work well, even in the winter, so it could work here even though DTX is certainly no TS. Beer and steps though don't always go together so well.

This may have been mentioned but it's hard to imagine the steps aren't based on the Tickets outlet in Times Square. That seems to work well, even in the winter, so it could work here even though DTX is certainly no TS. Beer and steps though don't always go together so well.

TKTS was specifically mentioned by Handel and the landscape architects at the BRA meetings. It is the direct inspiration.

Last edited:
Handel Architects won an Honor Award from AIA New York for urban design
with the Midtown Cultural District. The following link covers the Burnham Building / Millennium Tower and a history of the Washington Street corridor. The article has an attractive presentation.
http://aiany.aiany.org/320900.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back