Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why I like Boston.

If you want persecution of "jaywalking" then go to LA.

Anyone know with how tall this is going to be, does it have some sort of mass damper planned for the top mechanical floor?

That's why I like Boston.

If you want persecution of "jaywalking" then go to LA.

Uhhh jaywalking is one thing and boston has a serious problem with people walking in the street. It also has a severe problem of people not knowing how to interact or behave when contacting each other in all realms, be it face to face, on foot, bike or car. And it might be the city's least endearing quality. Managed chaos is one thing - London makes this somewhat charming in a tolerable, cute but still depressing way - Boston does not. It's the same character trait/flaw/aberration that drives why people in T stations not moving in when more passengers get on, people "block the box" at every intersection, turn trapelo road into two lanes when it's striped for one, bike IN the riverway at night with no lights, double park on Tremont for as long as they want, and just stroll into a busy intersection in front of three lanes of traffic when they don't have the right of way. Quite frankly, it's pathetic. I do love that I feel safe as a pedestrian and know I likely won't get run over when I need to jaywal, and I would never want things here to be like London or New York where you WILL get run over if you don't wait your turn. BUT this town has a real problem with people not knowing how to move around each other, and it's basically written into the laws at this point. No, we could use a modicum of discipline, for sure.

^ The fact that all those annoying things you mention routinely happen in Boston and yet you STILL feel safe and confident as a pedestrian proves that we actually know how to move around each other very well.

It's in those places with wide, straight roads where everybody "follows the rules" that you'll find people who have no clue how to move around each other.

^ The fact that all those annoying things you mention routinely happen in Boston and yet you STILL feel safe and confident as a pedestrian proves that we actually know how to move around each other very well.

It's in those places with wide, straight roads where everybody "follows the rules" that you'll find people who have no clue how to move around each other.

No, only partly true; that same attitude of do-whatever-I-want-to-get-somewhere is what's behind people going 50 mph on the Riverway and all sorts of other unsafe activities that do cause accidents. We don't need to become LA to enforce the rules to a better extent than we do now.

Boston isn't chaos or managed chaos. There are clear rules. They just aren't explicitly written. Like, if you're standing in the door when someone's getting off the train, expect a shoulder being dropped.

For your health.

Thank you Dr.
Of course, doctor to doctor, I routinely push my way onto my train from Kendall to south station. I get the looks, but don't really care because there is usually a dance floor towards the back door. Someone has to do it. And people blocking the doors are nothing but hunks and dinguses.

I've taken to just shouting "move back, people, plenty of room in this car." that actually works pretty well -- got in the habit after observing the guys staffing Fenway station after games.

I've taken to just shouting "move back, people, plenty of room in this car." that actually works pretty well -- got in the habit after observing the guys staffing Fenway station after games.

I do the same: "please move in, we need more room by the door". Just loud slow and even, so it doesn't come off as confrontational.

...but then comes the shoulder, obviously.....

Uhhh jaywalking is one thing and boston has a serious problem with people walking in the street. It also has a severe problem of people not knowing how to interact or behave when contacting each other in all realms, be it face to face, on foot, bike or car. And it might be the city's least endearing quality. Managed chaos is one thing - London makes this somewhat charming in a tolerable, cute but still depressing way - Boston does not. It's the same character trait/flaw/aberration that drives why people in T stations not moving in when more passengers get on, people "block the box" at every intersection, turn trapelo road into two lanes when it's striped for one, bike IN the riverway at night with no lights, double park on Tremont for as long as they want, and just stroll into a busy intersection in front of three lanes of traffic when they don't have the right of way. Quite frankly, it's pathetic. I do love that I feel safe as a pedestrian and know I likely won't get run over when I need to jaywal, and I would never want things here to be like London or New York where you WILL get run over if you don't wait your turn. BUT this town has a real problem with people not knowing how to move around each other, and it's basically written into the laws at this point. No, we could use a modicum of discipline, for sure.

Boston has its problems when it comes to interaction among peds/cars/bikes/etc, but it's not so bad. As someone living in an infrastructural hellscape, where the roads aren't built to hold the traffic, motorcycles only ride on the white lines in between lanes, and motorists do whatever the hell they please--forget double parking, I regularly see people bust out 3 point turns on busy roads, totally blocking both lanes because "fuck you I want to do this right now"--things could be a lot worse.

The habit of clustering towards the doors is great. I almost always get a seat on busy buses because of it! ;)

I don't mind pushing through to get there.

Walked by this morning and glass was going up on the NW side of the tower. :)

I was up in the area a few weeks ago and figured that I'd walk by this site and I noticed that so far it looks like it's going to interact pretty nicely with the street. Certainly much better than the pit that had been there for the past five years.

I was up in the area a few weeks ago and figured that I'd walk by this site and I noticed that so far it looks like it's going to interact pretty nicely with the street. Certainly much better than the pit that had been there for the past five years.

Such a ringing endorsement

Such a ringing endorsement

A building interacts better than a hole surrounded by a fence. Got it. It would be pretty atrocious if that statement somehow turned out to be inaccurate.

I'm surprised they're already putting up glass considering how slow this is rising.

A building interacts better than a hole surrounded by a fence. Got it. It would be pretty atrocious if that statement somehow turned out to be inaccurate.

I'm surprised they're already putting up glass considering how slow this is rising.

It should begin to rocket up quick soon. They also probably got the glass shipment in, and decided to put the glaziers to work, rather than have the glass just sit around collecting dirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back