Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

That's some high quality subtitling.

Toby what time do they start working in the morning? And is any more crap falling down Hawley st. it just sorta occured to me I walk down that street twice a day and you were talking about stuff falling on people. I'm oblivious to if they're working or not: headphones and all.

That's some high quality subtitling.

Toby what time do they start working in the morning? And is any more crap falling down Hawley st. it just sorta occured to me I walk down that street twice a day and you were talking about stuff falling on people. I'm oblivious to if they're working or not: headphones and all.

S-83,
About the low brow captions: these guys are right out of the 1940 Three Stooges short "How High Is Up?". (Moe, Larry and Curly land jobs as riveters on the 97th floor of a Manhattan skyscraper project. Great period footage, and the usual pre-Shemp eternal verities.) Some of the things the Filenes crew does are just as nuts as the Stooges.
I bypass Hawley. There is nothing new to see, and you never know when some "puddin' head" is going to toss something overboard. There haven't been any repeat barrages of which I know, but I don't want to be the first to find out!
They seem to be trying harder at dust control, with more sprays of water directed at dust sources.
I don't know when they start the show. I sleep late, and don't get to work until 10 or 10:30. Things are in full swing by then. They seem to knock off by 4 p.m.
Toby

no I wasn't being sarcastic, I'm a fan of the subtitles..

yea the dust seems to be less, but walking around mid day you can still sense it pretty well.

are you kiddin? sunday with the stooges? If I can remember its on I'll usually watch it

From April 5:

4-5-08Avenir1025.jpg

I have more at my website, here.

Bosdton Business Journal April 10, 2008
Filene's Basement on track to move back to old digs in '09

Boston Business Journal - by Naomi R. Kooker Journal staff

Filene's Basement will move into One Franklin -- the redeveloped home of the original Filene's basement -- March 2009, confirmed John B. Hynes III, president and CEO of Gale International LLC, one of the owners and the developer of the building.

The legendary mark-down retailer will occupy its original yet renovated three basement floors, said Hynes.

"It's that simple," he said.

The building, which is currently under demolition, is being redeveloped as a mixed-use complex comprised of 1.2 million total square feet, which includes 500,000 square feet of Class A office space, five floors of retail, 140 residences, a hotel, 299 below-grade parking spaces and a health club and spa. Demolition is slated to end June 1, said Hynes.

The Filene's building at 426 Washington St. is owned by Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO) of New York and New Jersey-based Gale International LLC, who jointly acquired the Landmark building and surrounding property in the fall of 2006 for approximately $100 million to $150 million from Federated Department Stores Inc.

Additional retailing space of between 2,000 square feet and 20,000 square feet will be leased. Target, long rumored to be one of the retailers to occupy space, is not an option given its need for a larger footprint, said Hynes. Other retailers will be able to move into the newly constructed building in 2011.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/04/07/daily51.html?t=printable

the franklin st side of the 60's low building with the steel is starting to come down pretty quick now. theres a sizable hole closest to the other building that goes through all three? floors. They could have that low 60's part down by the end of next week at that rate.

FYI the air quality SUCKED today again.

Three From Today - April 10, 2008:

The air quality in the area was pretty bad. Other than that this was fun to watch.

Thanks for the pics bostoncitywalk. Looks like there has been some notable progress since I was last in there on Saturday.

L10607892.jpg

4/11/08. This flat area is a floor in the 50's building. The iron framed part to the right is the 1905 building.

L10607932.jpg

The second of the two photos is a detail shot that illustrates how the facadectomy is planned. As you may recall from earlier posts, the developer poured an enormous amount of concrete into the 1905 building, including weeks of pressure pouring into the upper floors. This photo depicts the results. One can see the very large concrete pillars (and some new iron cross bracing) which support the outermost part of the building. The guts are being cored for the skyscraper.

There is an atmosphere to your photos that make them feel like the pictures of urban renewal in the 1960s. Every time I see these I have to tell myself that these are current. I think that's kinda cool.

I agree. I assume it's the glass giving it that timeworn tint?

And I'll ask again: Tobyjug, could you make these pictures a little bit bigger?

I'd be curious some time to see a photo of what was on this site before the Filene's annex.

I agree. I assume it's the glass giving it that timeworn tint?

And I'll ask again: Tobyjug, could you make these pictures a little bit bigger?

The tint in the windows plays a small factor in the mood, but I try to compensate for it. Filenes really looks that way. Many of my photos are shot on grey days, and I guess I have my own views on the appropriate exposure to capture what I see.
As to the size, I was mindful of your request when I posted these. On my screen they look pretty big. I'll see what they look like at home.
As to size and exposure, I try to post the photos the way the sites look to me. Some subjects are ones that you would barely notice, and I post them smaller because that is the way you would see it if you walked by.
With some photos that I post, the resolution is just not good enough for them to be larger. I really love the stuff folks post. Isn't GMack's work gorgeous? His night shots are both a technical marvel and great art! But with Toby, you're just gonna have to take the rough with the smooth.

Last edited:

April 12 2007
Not much change

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3417.jpg

IMG_3418.jpg

Het Toby,
What's going on up there?

I went by around noon and there was a firetruck parked in front of Filenes, Hawley St was all roped off and there were a ton of cops milling around.

Any info?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back