Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kent -- I'm not totally disagreeing with you -- I'm just trying to simplify the argument

its really quite simple -- build any [Net] housing and eventually [after whatever temporary dislocations and readjustments propagate through the system] there will be more Net housing options and opportunities for the middle and lower classes -- the rest of the arguments are like trying to predict where a "pop-up" shower will fall 4 days from now -- not worth the intellectual effort

Except reality is rarely this general. If you want to base your argument on a basic supply and demand curve, feel free, but applying a solution based on something as general as that won't solve any problems.

And agreed bigeman.

ry%3D400

Just curious, what do you all feel this tower should be at height wise when it's done? I know it's going to be around 640-650, but how high would you like it to be?

Just curious, what do you all feel this tower should be at height wise when it's done? I know it's going to be around 640-650, but how high would you like it to be?

The official height of 685 feet seems about good to me. Although I'd be fine if it were to be around 700.

I would like to see something around 700. So far, my only complaint with the building is that it looks a little wide from certain angles relative to its height. I think the extra height would help a little.

I think 650-700 is the perfect height to break the plateau, but not dwarf the existing Downtown skyline

I think 650-700 is the perfect height to break the plateau, but not dwarf the existing Downtown skyline

Also, the number of views where the tower really stands out is amazing. It is going to become one of the "postcard" images of Boston. I think it is pretty on target for height.

More importantly what do you think it's at now?

Personally I'm thinking we're almost to 585'

Off topic - an ~800' building at Winthrop sq would look great with MT!

In reference to this picture posted a few responses ago, how much higher do you think the tower will go in relation to the crane?

EnDMpmJ.jpg

In reference to this picture posted a few responses ago, how much higher do you think the tower will go in relation to the crane?

I'm guessing it will grow 2 yellow cages worth of floors (6 floors), plus the slanted mechanical top.

In the last batch, are some of those from Bunker Hill?

Apparently MT is at 520 feet and will be 60 stories (but still the previously discussed 685 ft)

At 520 feet above downtown Boston, the upper reaches of the Millennium Tower are open to the sky, a few fingers of steel girders and temporary fencing framing workers spreading concrete for each new floor — a third of an acre every other day.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...wn-crossing/AiK6LiMxSmiwKIbb837uHN/story.html

Apparently MT is at 520 feet and will be 60 stories (but still the previously discussed 685 ft)

At 520 feet above downtown Boston, the upper reaches of the Millennium Tower are open to the sky, a few fingers of steel girders and temporary fencing framing workers spreading concrete for each new floor — a third of an acre every other day.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...wn-crossing/AiK6LiMxSmiwKIbb837uHN/story.html
Great article. Thanks for sharing!

Incredible progress:
Unlike other Boston towers that were framed with steel, the Millennium is being formed by concrete, pumped upward through hoses to the top floor — the 50th last week — where workers pour it into forms arranged like tabletops over the floors below. With the concrete still wet, they layered in rebar to stiffen and strengthen each 17,000-square-foot pad, and punch about 500 holes, or “sleeves,” to allow mechanical systems to run vertically through the tower. Workers use GPS to ensure each hole is aligned accordingly.

Down on 34, two men wearing harnesses guide 10-foot panes of glass as a colleague above winches them into place on the outside of the building. In construction parlance, this is known as “the curtain wall” — the blue skin of glass that will give the tower its distinctive look.

Each floor has 140 panes. It takes the team seven minutes to install one, a little faster on a good day.

Floor 27 is a maze of ductwork and vents. Copper water lines snake from floor to ceiling and the outlines of hallways take shape. A transformer distributes power from a main line to lower floors, and digital antennas boost cell services above. There’s even a break room up here, a “sky cafe” that sells coffee, sandwiches, and energy drinks so workers don’t have to schlep down for lunch.

On 22, the walls are framed in, plumbing and electrical installed. Each unit requires 140 distinct “construction activities,” Michaels said, and the subcontractors complete a floor every week. Each Monday they begin again on the next.

Down on 7, the units are pretty much ready: new white carpeting and floors of Croatian hardwood, Sub-Zero refrigerator and marble kitchen island. The air is thick with fresh paint, and blue masking tape marks a needed touch-up.

By this time next year, condos on the lower floors should be lived in, while above them Suffolk and Millennium put the finishing touches to the tower’s most expensive units, before moving onto their next project.

The MT sales team has the first closing tentatively scheduled for July 16, 2016.

AYYYEEEE.

(That date is so, so tentative, but at least it's a goal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back