Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently MT is at 520 feet and will be 60 stories (but still the previously discussed 685 ft)

At 520 feet above downtown Boston, the upper reaches of the Millennium Tower are open to the sky, a few fingers of steel girders and temporary fencing framing workers spreading concrete for each new floor — a third of an acre every other day.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...wn-crossing/AiK6LiMxSmiwKIbb837uHN/story.html

This number is wrong. It's absolutely higher than 520'. The writer made the mistake of thinking it's 60 actual stories, and not just 60 "labeled" stories. Basing his calculation off this, he simply did 50/60 * 685 = 520.83333.

If we base it off the expected 56 actual stories to hit 625', and allow that the podium floors offset the high ceilings at the top, we get 50/56 * 625' = 558'.

I ask you to draw your attention to the picture below, taken from Woburn, about 9-10 miles out. (distance helps to "flatten" perspectives) Note 1 Beacon, just to the left of MT, which stands at 507', and is at a higher elevation than MT. I believe it's also technically closer to the camera in this picture than MT. You can see that MT is clearly pushing 3-4 stories beyond 1 Beacon at this point, even with 1 Beacon at the top of a hill.

Ha! That's the date I am getting married.

Move the wedding to the roof. #90skid

SimTowerWin.png

This number is wrong. It's absolutely higher than 520'. The writer made the mistake of thinking it's 60 actual stories, and not just 60 "labeled" stories. Basing his calculation off this, he simply did 50/60 * 685 = 520.83333.

If we base it off the expected 56 actual stories to hit 625', and allow that the podium floors offset the high ceilings at the top, we get 50/56 * 625' = 558'.

Even so, I thought the tower was almost complete-- turns out we're only just past 80%. Still a ways to go, and it already looks so outstanding.

I ask you to draw your attention to the picture below, taken from Woburn, about 9-10 miles out. (distance helps to "flatten" perspectives) Note 1 Beacon, just to the left of MT, which stands at 507', and is at a higher elevation than MT. I believe it's also technically closer to the camera in this picture than MT. You can see that MT is clearly pushing 3-4 stories beyond 1 Beacon at this point, even with 1 Beacon at the top of a hill.

At the range you are talking the comparison should be with One Financial Center -- a slight bit further off and just a slight bit lower ground level

from my eyeball --- the tops are even -- that puts MT [circa the above picture] @ 580-590'

One Financial Center
Height: Architectural 179.8 m / 590 ft
Height: To Tip 179.8 m / 590 ft
Floors Above Ground 46

Even so, I thought the tower was almost complete......

Me too and i am guilty of publicly saying so on this forum. From many angles it looks that way. From Arlington today it is just inching past the top of the plateau.

A few weeks ago I thought this was 590'. Now I think it's around 560-570'. But then sometimes I think it's higher. Boston's uneven ground doesn't help the (gu)estimate.

Excellent. Boylston has needed something to anchor that view ever since State Street Bank took their name off of 225 Franklin.

What are the approximate dimensions of MT? It looks like they got them just right.

I love how this building totally dominates the view down Harrison Avenue from Chinatown.

Franklin from Washington to Hawley will be closing to auto traffic today thru July 2016!

I thought it was part of the DTX pedestrian zone, anyways. It should be closed to auto traffic most hours. The fact that it is heavily used by pedestrians, can close for nearly a year without major effect, and is adjacent to the DTX pedestrian blocks, tells me that is should be pedestrianized.

Temple Pl between Washington and Tremont, and Washington between West and Temple Pl should be as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back