Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ No reason there can't be two separated by a 4-ish minute walk. Dunks and Starbucks do it all the time.

All the retail space in the Burnham Building and Millennium Tower is leased up

Some of this is old news, some of this is new:

• Old Navy will open a two-level, 29k sf store in the Tower along the length of Washington St.
  • Primark will take another 27k sf on the third floor of the tower to add to the 77k sf they have in the Burnham building.
  • Roche Bros will take another 11k sf in the basement of the tower in addition to the 26k sf they have in the Burnham building.
  • Café Nero will open a 2,200 sf space at the corner of Summer and Hawley.
  • PABU, a Japanese gastropub, will move in to the tower.
I'm a little confused, as this doesn't come close to the quoted 335k sf total, so maybe there are other tenants that are signed but haven't been announced yet. Or maybe the numbers are just off.

Old Navy, Gap Outlet, Forever 21, Primark....

Ruh roh.

But I will say that having something new here is better than nothing. When are they going to lease out the Barnes and Noble space across the street?! That is a massive hole that needs to be filled.

Ruh roh.

But I will say that having something new here is better than nothing. When are they going to lease out the Barnes and Noble space across the street?! That is a massive hole that needs to be filled.

Why Ruh roh?

I like the mix of high end residential, office, and affordable retail. It's Downtown Crossing, not Newbury Street. You want that type of Juxtaposition downtown. There are plenty of similar dynamics in Manhattan, San Francisco, etc. I'd be more concerned if new businesses in this area catered strictly to the wealthy.

Ruh roh.

I am 100% fine with this. The Millennium Partners principal that was quoted in the Herald is right: “We always think of Washington Street as sort of the people’s street, it’s supposed to be a place where everybody can shop.”

Boston is developing two clear shopping nodes: the Back Bay is home to the high-end, designer, and expensive while Downtown Crossing (+ Faneuil Hall) is for the affordable but still in fashion. There's nothing wrong with that.

I am 100% fine with this. The Millennium Partners principal that was quoted in the Herald is right: “We always think of Washington Street as sort of the people’s street, it’s supposed to be a place where everybody can shop.”

Boston is developing two clear shopping nodes: the Back Bay is home to the high-end, designer, and expensive while Downtown Crossing (+ Faneuil Hall) is for the affordable but still in fashion. There's nothing wrong with that.

Very fair, points taken. The Macy's facade is going to look really dated when all of these new shops are open...

I think it weird to have such low end stores in a $B tower with such expensive units...

That being said I'd love if a Nordstrom rack opened up down there.

As am I. I've made this "people's street" argument many times on here. DTX was always *the* place for affordable or discounted merchandise with the basements of Filene's & Jordan Marsh. GAP, TJMaxx, Marshalls, Forever 21 & Old Navy carry on that tradition.

I think it weird to have such low end stores in a $B tower with such expensive units...

That being said I'd love if a Nordstrom rack opened up down there.

Agreed. We also need a full/real Nordstrom in Back Bay somewhere too...

All the retail space in the Burnham Building and Millennium Tower is leased up

I'm a little confused, as this doesn't come close to the quoted 335k sf total, so maybe there are other tenants that are signed but haven't been announced yet. Or maybe the numbers are just off.

It's very puzzling. The BRA submission:

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/projects/development-projects/millennium-tower-and-burnham-building

And the retail stack plan diagram:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/MillenniumTowerRetail/6492_MTB-brochureRV14.pdf

both quote total retail in MTower/Burnham Bldg. of low 200k. Where did the additional 100k come from? Unless the reporter simply meant 235k but wrote 335k by accident?

^ Okay, from the BRA, emphasis mine:
BRA said:
The construction of Millennium Tower and renovation of the adjacent Burnham Building will help reinvigorate Downtown Crossing as the thriving commercial center of Boston. The mixed-use project will include 450 condominiums, more than 135,000 square feet of retail space and 200,000 square feet of office space.

The 335k number must include the office space in the Burnham, which is also leased up, and the retail. Yeah, the total varies depending on who you ask (BRA vs Millennium), but at least this is a possible source.

Going off the stack plan, Roche + Primark + Nero look to fill the Burnham, then Roche fills Tower basement and Primark fills Tower third floor. Old Navy + PABU should fill some, but not all, of Tower floors 1 and 2, and Tower floor 4 remains unclaimed. Maybe Tower floor 4 isn't going retail after all?

I have been derelict in my duties. First shot is from last weekend, rest are from yesterday.

The sidewalk in front of and around the base was just freshly poured:

hvhhtyr.jpg

oPI85HD.jpg

hy13Va5.jpg

It's about time that they removed the construction elevator shaft from the font of the tower.

Looking good! Seems all that is left now is for the ground to be spruced up in time for the tower to open for business in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back