Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Yeah, that was the concern with the Ritz, but they did pretty well. Manny Ramirez seemed to like living there.

I'm only guessing here, but I don't see these folks buying in DTX. These folks have their eyes on the Back Bay and Beacon Hill. DTX is, and should be a step down from these Uber rich as you call them. They will still be snooty enough compared to my circles, but the Kerry-Heinz' will still look down their noses at them.

Seamus -- the view from the 2 story floor to ceiling windowed penthouses at the top of 600 feet - - I doubt that there is much difficulty selling those

That is especially the case for the uber-rich -- if say as a principal in a financial firm or senior law partner -- that you occasionally visit your office at top of One Financial Center or IP and you are used to the view -- and a brief brisk walk down Franklin to work will be good for your overall state of mind

Seamus -- the view from the 2 story floor to ceiling windowed penthouses at the top of 600 feet - - I doubt that there is much difficulty selling those

That is especially the case for the uber-rich -- if say as a principal in a financial firm or senior law partner -- that you occasionally visit your office at top of One Financial Center or IP and you are used to the view -- and a brief brisk walk down Franklin to work will be good for your overall state of mind

I know a lot of people who have opted for the downtown towers over living in a brownstone. The richer folks do not flock to Beacon Hill and Back Bay only -- they also flock to SERVICE and views (as mentioned). Generally anything above floor 15 offers pretty spectacular views in Boston. Also the high-rise buildings are "full service" meaning lots of consierge services that make city life easier for busy professionals.

Also the people I know spend a ton of money in the surrounding neighborhood (restaurants, clubs, theatre, retail), so yes they support the downtown economy.

I know a lot of people who have opted for the downtown towers over living in a brownstone. The richer folks do not flock to Beacon Hill and Back Bay only -- they also flock to SERVICE and views (as mentioned). Generally anything above floor 15 offers pretty spectacular views in Boston. Also the high-rise buildings are "full service" meaning lots of consierge services that make city life easier for busy professionals.

Also the people I know spend a ton of money in the surrounding neighborhood (restaurants, clubs, theatre, retail), so yes they support the downtown economy.

Additionally owning a condo in a brand new tower is a lot less expensive from a maintenance perspective than owning a floor in a 100 year old brownstone in the South End or Back Bay.

Peterborough
http://www.bostontipster.com

Right on:

The Boston Herald said:
Filene’s hole deserves icon

By Paul Restuccia
Friday, June 15, 2012

The unveiling of plans for the new Filene’s tower is no doubt a cause for celebration and a chance to mend the ugly scar that’s marred Downtown Crossing for years.

The proposal has a lot going for it. Unlike the previous design, the new plan will not put any part of the new building atop the treasured Burnham building that housed Filene’s, and it pairs that architectural gem with a slim glass tower that will become the fourth-tallest building in Boston.

But excited as I am about having 500 more residential units and more retail downtown, my heart sank when I saw the rendering. Why does the tower have to be so dull? The rendering for the 606-foot tower designed by Handel Architects shows a flat-top glass skyscraper topped with stone that resembles the firm’s Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco it designed for Millennium Partners, whose Boston division is behind the new proposal.

Millennium has a good track record in Boston for getting projects done. But the city, which has been touting this location as a place for an iconic tower, should ask more of Millennium and its architect than a retread design.

Developer Don Chiofaro had an idea for an iconic tower along the waterfront, but it was in the wrong place, and he’s rethinking his concept. But the Filene’s site is ideal for an icon that will be visible across the city and from the Charles River.

When you think of what’s being built in London — the elegant triangular skyscraper known as The Shard designed by Renzo Piano, the architect who did the Gardner Museum expansion and is doing an addition to the Fogg Museum in Cambridge — the design of Boston’s Millennium Tower looks mundane.

I’m not suggesting that the developer hire Piano. Gary Handel is a fine architect. His firm’s Ritz Carlton Residences project for Millennium along Avery and Washington streets is well-designed. Handel’s firm has created iconic towers elsewhere in the world, and certainly has the design chops to create one for the Hub.

An iconic design would be good for the developer too — a distinctive tower would add the panache needed for selling high-price condos and market office and retail space in the struggling Downtown Crossing district.

Millennium compares the pairing of the Burnham building and the Millennium Tower to that of the Trinity Church and the Hancock tower, two of Boston’s finest buildings. If that’s its intent, the Millennium Tower’s design falls far short of the Hancock.

When Boston Redevelopment Authority head Peter Meade and chief planner Kairos Shen vet this project, they need to dare to ask for a tower that sings on the skyline. Grateful as they — and certainly the mayor — are that this project has been resuscitated, the city should demand no less than a skyscraper that you’d want to put on a postcard, as we do the Hancock Tower and Zakim Bridge.

We don’t have that many chances in Boston to really make a mark on the skyline, and the city should make sure that this time we get the iconic downtown skyscraper we’ve long wanted and deserved.

Paul Restuccia writes about real estate for the Boston Herald.

Link.

he right though this tower could and should be so much more,here's hoping this is sent back to the drawing board! No more flat topped box's!

Last edited:

designed by Handel Architects shows a flat-top glass skyscraper topped with stone that resembles the firm’s Four Seasons Hotel in San Francisco

Glad someone with more of a voice called them out on this.

Just ask Mr. Mayor for ideas, he'll be happy to oblige.

Amazing the CBT didn't get this. For a while it seemed like there was some Boston rule that any new large development needed to be designed by CBT.

I believe that Handel's a good architect, but if you look at his featured projects they all seem to look pretty much like this -glass boxes with white accents. The lone exception, however, would look great here:

http://handelarch.com/projects/type/office/a27-times-square-office.html

I think I posted this before when his participation was announced.

Equilib -- the problem is with the low-rise -- it looks as if the Chinese tower has a full-block pedestal.

However, f Handel could work a reasonable mating with the Burnham Building without making it look like a "Facadectomy" -- say something akin to Piano's glass connection to the Gardner -- with an open multi-story glass pass through for pedestrians -- the ["27 Times Square" in Zhengzhou] might be a good template for Filenes

0611_Filene_%20Rendering.jpg

Interesting that the pedestal for the tower is no longer the height of the older building. Can't wait to see the other side, and how the tower interacts with the red facade that is also presumably still being preserved.

Last edited:

Hizzonor could always insist upon a more interesting crown as happened with 111 Huntington.

"I'll take anything so long as it fills that damn hole and gives us retail!!1!1one!1one" x10000

*new design pitched*

"This is outrageous! It's doesn't stand out enough! It needs to stand out!!!" x10000

*Meanwhile, in the MassArt Dorm thread...*

"This stands out too much! What were they thinking! Why does it stand out!!!" x100

A Norman Foster tower would be incredible here, if he could mix the ingenuity of the London City Hall buildings (City Hall, PwC & EY HQs) with the height of the Gherkin or 200 Greenwich St.

Amazing the CBT didn't get this. For a while it seemed like there was some Boston rule that any new large development needed to be designed by CBT.

No that rule seems to have shifted to Elkus-Manfredi lately. While still a fan of a lot of their work, it seems to be loosing something lately.

That makes me think the problem is not the architect of record, but some other planning agency or value engineering firm that has the power to collectively water things down... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back