Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was downtown last night admiring this building.

Summer Street looks good: Ground Floor connects with the Street.
Not crazy about ROCHE being one of the anchors but they still have to pay for the tower. So I get it.

But I will say this. Boston is Manhattanization in my opinon.

At this point, this tower would need to be almost doubled in height to be considered anywhere near what Manhattan is doing now.
This is Boston modernizing. Many cities around the world now have 60 storey residential towers, and tightly packed at that.

Of all places in Boston that should resemble Manhattan in any way, this would be it. This square mile (or even less than that) which sits right in the midst of the crossings off all of our major subways, is where supertall, super dense, limited car owning/operating residential should be built.

Keep em coming.

I'm with Seamus.

Unless 'manhattinization' means ' empty condos owned by fancy people from away'. Then yeah, this is probably manhattinization ... but there are worse fates.

EDIT: that should read as: "empty condos owned by Panamanian LLCs owned by fancy people from Away.'

At this point, this tower would need to be almost doubled in height to be considered anywhere near what Manhattan is doing now.
This is Boston modernizing. Many cities around the world now have 60 storey residential towers, and tightly packed at that.

Of all places in Boston that should resemble Manhattan in any way, this would be it. This square mile (or even less than that) which sits right in the midst of the crossings off all of our major subways, is where supertall, super dense, limited car owning/operating residential should be built.

Keep em coming.

Thank you for proving my point on how crucial it is to build off the Major Subways.
Keep them coming. (I Agree 100%)

Would love to know what the hell the BRA/Planners have been thinking about over the past 15 years.

I'm also not against the Manahttanization concept. The area has some Manhattan to it. Maybe Boston is beginning to modernize.

Manhatanization is a completely stupid analogy. There really is no comparison in terms of scale, just because a couple of tall, luxurious buildings are constructed. Downtown Boston is approximately the same size as Central Park. The island of Manhattan has 1.6M inhabitants, vs. approximately 675K. Not even close.

Can't you just be happy that something nice was built in your city?

Manhattanization is a completely stupid analogy. There really is no comparison in terms of scale, just because a couple of tall, luxurious buildings are constructed. Downtown Boston is approximately the same size as Central Park. The island of Manhattan has 1.6M inhabitants, vs. approximately 675K. Not even close.

Can't you just be happy that something nice was built in your city?

If you compare the entire city to Manhattan, Manhattan is less than half of Boston's size, but i agree and think that people that call it "the Manhattanization" need to stop forgetting that Boston is a major city and it should act like one.

People on this board argue about the stupidest shit sometimes.

Last edited:
Do you really think that the multi-millionaires who bought in this building are going to be riding the subway?

Some of them. Yes.
Having a net worth of $2M would technically make one a 'multi millionaire'.
Of the people I know with net worth in the low single digit millions, most have no issue and some regularly use the subway.
There isn't a bunch of monacle wearing rich uncle pennybags moving in here. Some are regular seeming people, who just happen to have a shit tonne of money (relatively speaking of course).

You know what - I think if they just used the same reflective glass on the inside walls of the crown as they do on the outside, it would look an awful lot like a 'roof' from this angle & distance...

Do you really think that the multi-millionaires who bought in this building are going to be riding the subway?

I know people who bought in 22 Liberty who ride the Red Line every day to Kendall. They even walk to South Station because they know the Silver Line is awful. (I also know someone who bought in 22 Liberty who takes a hubway to Kendall every day.) These are mere humans, just like you and I. They just often have found themselves suddenly with high incomes due to demanding jobs as executives at high-performing companies and no longer have kids in school, so they've moved into the city.

One of my favourite things about New York is that you see the executives riding in the subway next to interns and blue collar workers. Everyone from all walks of life uses it because it's the fastest way to get around in very dense cities. If Boston becomes denser more of this will and is already happening.

I drove in today and was looking at Millennium juxtaposed against 1 Beacon, a similar angle to BeeLine's first shot. I'm not obsessed with height, but Millennium taking the spotlight away from 1 Beacon is a great thing from a visual standpoint.

One of my favourite things about New York is that you see the executives riding in the subway next to interns and blue collar workers. Everyone from all walks of life uses it because it's the fastest way to get around in very dense cities. If Boston becomes denser more of this will and is already happening.

+1000

Tysmith -- I'll repeat in a capsule form what I once posted on this topic

The subway part of the T in Boston was / is not designed to move people from one inner part of the city to another

Boston's elite began by working next to where they lived and later mover a bit further away with many walking -- Google famous anecdote about Geoffrey Cabot, galoshes and winter

Later they moved out and if they lived West took the trolley from Brookline or Newton or further the Commuter Rail from Wellesley and walked to the Financial District

If they lived South they took the Old Colony Line and walked to the Fid

If they lived North they took the various North Shore lines into North Station and walked

The Heavy Weight Division of the T was for the Blue Collar folk who made up the backbone of the employees in Boston and who lived where the Orange and Red Lines ran

It's only very very recently that the Red Line is now sometimes called the Brain Train

From last night, zoomed in from Logan Airport.
0JoGVh4.jpg

Speaking of the subway and MT, when the hell are they gonna finish the downtown crossing exit? Its been over a year now of it being closed and lengthening the commute times for thousands of people per day. They sure are taking their sweet time while everyone who gets off at downtown crossing has to deal with their mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back