Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Does Chronicle not post videos of their old shows? ARRRG, thats annoying :( Paul I'd really appreciate it if you could check those figures, thanks a bunch!

Actually, Emily Rooney did a segment about DTX last night as well. They had a woman from BRA and a guy from, can't remember what it's called, something like, Dorchester Youth Association. They were mostly discussing the kids hanging out after school and the attempted shooting a few weeks ago. It was kinda funny because usually they try to bring in two people who'll present opposite views, but both guests were like, "well, kids gotta hang out somewhere." I'll see if I can find a link any where.

Chuck Connors posts here?

The woman on Emily Rooney's show was Randi Lathrop, the BRA politico in charge of DTX. Emily lives on Malborough Street and would rather have teenagers hang out anywhere but in her beloved Back Bay.

PelHam, did you predict this when this was proposed?

I predicted it the first time Gale sent out a weather balloon with the "gee, financing sure is tough to get..." message. I could be way off. Asking for government money would jeopardize his Seaport Square project, so it's nothing more than a possibility at this time.

But it is a strong PR tactic, and many developers can and should use it.

Horrifying example - as soon as Druker gets the OK to demo the Shreve building, he'd be an idiot not to have the wrecking ball on site as the ink is drying on the permit. Then he can figure out what he wants to do. Do you think the community would want to see a hole on that site for years to come?

Thankfully, it appears Menino & the BRA have taken steps to stop this tactic, but you never know... they are, after all, completely inept.

Has anyone heard rumblings of something extremely dire happening to this project this week?

Has anyone heard rumblings of something extremely dire happening to this project this week?

Darth_Vader_Nooooooo.gif

Seriously, what are you referring to? If you have any news on this, please share.

Darth_Vader_Nooooooo.gif

Seriously, what are you referring to? If you have any news on this, please share.

^^Well, some pieces are starting to fall into pace the wrong way. Yesterday, the design firm laid off half the team that designed the building. I thought many of these people would be needed during the Construction Administration phase. (like, the curtainwall designer, the expansion joint designers, the Filene's Basement fit-out designers, etc) Today, someone on site told me that, after tomorrow, nobody is scheduled to be working on the site. This doesn't sound like a "full speed ahead" effort. I'm not much of anyone so I was hoping others in the know might have heard more. I really care about this project.

I really care about this project.

It's probably the most important project in Boston right now.

If this dies or even has a significant delay, it would be very, very bad.

It's probably the most important project in Boston right now.

If this dies or even has a significant delay, it would be very, very bad.

It has already been significantly delayed, no? My understanding was that all excavation work was to finish several months ago. At this point they have to be at least 4-6 months behind. I know they can make some of that time up but right now, I still think this project ends up at least 6-12 months behind no matter what happens with the financing.

Fifteen minutes ago. Goodbye?

L1100632.jpg

L1100635.jpg

L1100636.jpg

L1100639.jpg

Who wants to take bets on how long we are going to be looking at this giant hole in the ground?

Hynes and Vornado's $650m development secures financing for mixed-use project

http://nerej.com/27195

Boston, MA, The developer of the $650 million Filene's project has done the unthinkable in this global credit crisis: borrow money.

After weeks of uncertainty about the struggling project, developer John Hynes III and partner Vornado Realty Trust have secured financing to proceed with construction on the 1.25 million s/f mixed-use site, which will include retail shops, condominiums, a hotel, and offices in the historic department store building and a new 38-story tower next to it.

The head of the company building the project, John Fish of Suffolk Construction Co., said he was told by the developers to ramp up construction work because the team had locked in its final pieces of funding in recent days.

"We've been given the green light to move forward, and the financing has been validated, so we're in good shape," Fish said. His firm has even bought the structural steel for the complex.

Fish said he did not know details of the funding, and Hynes and Vornado declined to comment, so it is not known when and under what terms the developers obtained the funds.

But the Filene's funding is a rare bit of positive news amid a national credit freeze that is stalling major development projects across the city. It's also a significant boost to mayor Thomas Menino's effort to remake the gritty shopping district into the new heart of downtown Boston.

In June, Menino and city planners launched a marketing plan to brand Downtown Crossing as "Boston's Meeting Place." The effort included placing new logos in vacant storefronts where the city is hoping to spur development.

"That's a great sign," Menino said of the financing deal. "Now we can fill in that hole and continue the redevelopment of Downtown Crossing. It proves that Boston is a sound investment, even in these uncertain economic times."

Site preparation on the Filene's block, at Franklin and Washington Sts., slowed to a crawl this summer after the developers were unable to secure financing.

Hynes and Vornado are building a 495-foot tower with retail on the first four floors, 250 hotel rooms over eight floors, 475,000 s/f of office space, and 166 condominiums on the top 12 floors. The project also includes a grocery store and about 300 underground parking spaces, according to documents filed with the city.

The original Filene's building, designated a landmark by the Boston Landmarks Commission, will be substantially preserved. The project will also preserve a 1905 structure at Franklin and Hawley Sts. Two newer buildings on the property were demolished last year.

The project's financial difficulties will delay its completion by several months. Fish said construction is now scheduled for completion in July 2011, instead of the original deadline of early that year.

(The rest of the article is available to subscribers only)

^^^ This article is two weeks old. Alot can happen in this economy in two weeks.

Strange, the two articles have the same date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back