Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Just take a look at Inman Square, Porter Square, Davis Square. Alot of cool unique small Biz.

I don't have stats to back me up, but I'd suspect the rents in DTC are much higher than in Inman Square. The higher the rent, the less likely a small, independent storefront could survive.

I don't have stats to back me up, but I'd suspect the rents in DTC are much higher than in Inman Square. The higher the rent, the less likely a small, independent storefront could survive.

Agree 100%. Rents are just too high to make DTX really hip. Instead we will probably face the usual suspects in that area. Possibly Giant Target, even Walmart might be able to ink a deal down here. This area sounds like desirable place to live for 3000 a month or buy a condo for 700K.

If Hynes had a brain he should go to the colleges and think of some creative ideas what DTX should really trasnform into?
Boston DTX might be able to focus on FASHION?
Maybe make Boston DTX ART & Music Industry?

The problem is that universities and institutions are TERRIBLE decision makers...they are loathe to commit to anything. That is a huge obstacle for Hynes...the other is the fact that he paid $100 million for the land. It's going to be damn hard to make the numbers work with that kind of land basis.

I disagree that college kids will bring the same bs chain restaurants. Especially around DTX

I agree. Harvard Square for example. Yes it has become more chain centric, but there are still some true individual gems. Bartleys, The Tannery etc....

Even as far as chains go there, they still managed to attract some unique things. It was the first location of WagaMama in the country and i think they are now getting a pink berry.

Banker & Tradesmen - February 23, 2010
Vornado Q4 FFO Rises

Reuters

Yesterday

The shell of Downtown Crossing's former Filene's building in 2008.Vornado Realty Trust, owner and operator of office and retail properties and the firm behind the stalled Filene's redevelopment project in Boston's Downtown Crossing, reported fourth-quarter funds from operations that rose, in part on lower non-cash charges for land impairments.

FFO for the quarter was $20,000, compared with negative $88.2 million a year earlier, the real estate investment trust said on Tuesday.

Excluding non-cash items such as property impairments and income from property sales items, adjusted FFO was $189.5 million, or $1.04 per share, compared with $165.4 million, or $1.07 per share, a year earlier.

FFO, a REIT performance measure, removes the profit-reducing effect of depreciation, a noncash accounting item.

Shares of the New Jersey-based REIT closed at $65.68 Monday on the New York Stock Exchange and fell 1.6 percent in premarket trade.

Does anyone who is more familiar with this stuff know if this could have any kind of impact on the Filene's project? Would banks be more likely to loan them money? Would they be more willing to invest more of their own funds in the project to get it off the ground?

Does anyone who is more familiar with this stuff know if this could have any kind of impact on the Filene's project? Would banks be more likely to loan them money? Would they be more willing to invest more of their own funds in the project to get it off the ground?

My guess is no. The current state of the commercial real estate market is preventing large projects like this to get off the ground. There is a ton of vacant office space already in the Boston CBD, and even the newer buildings coming online (Atlantic Wharf, Fan Pier), are having trouble filling their remaining space. Obviously Atlantic Wharf is in a better position but that is only because their large tenant signed a terrible lease, one that I bet they wish they could take back and do over.

Also, look at the sales pace at 45 Province. It has been terrible. Additionally the hotel and retail industries are facing tough times. So all of the uses that would be included in the Filene's project (Office, Hotel, Residential, Retail) are in a tough spot and I doubt this project will get going anytime soon.

On the flip side, there is a lot of cash on the sidelines (private equity, hedge funds, pension funds, endowments, etc.) waiting to invest in commercial real estate so things could change. I'm just pessimistic on the market for the next couple of years. I think we need to work through existing supply and let the market right itself before we see any large mixed use developments get going.

I can tell you this - even if Voranado was swimming in hundreds of millions of dollars worth of cash, they STILL wouldn't fix the Filene's Hole.

You don't build anything unless people want to pay you rent to support it for the long-term. That's just how it works, otherwise you're basically building a charity building.

Right now, especially with such a horribly bungled marketing job, nobody wants to pay premium rents to open a shop, a hotel, or offices in some stubby Menino stump that calls itself One Lincoln Street.

We need to get Gale out of the picture and move in a developer with some vision. Let's get somebody like Related into the picture to recreate some Time Warner Center magic in Boston.

Let's get somebody like Related into the picture to recreate some Time Warner Center magic in Boston.
That even includes a healthy dose of Charity as its centerpiece (Jazz at Lincoln Center). How 'bout the Berklee Jazz Band, and how 'bout a whole new downtown Center of Gravity. Redevelop the Berklee Performance Center in Back Bay with a skyscraper to help pay for it all.

The panache for Related would be more than enough to get the rest of their currently-stagnant project revved up.

any kind of impact on the Filene's project?

None. Why would you even bother spending your money building something new when you could buy a building, say, One Federal Street, for much less than the cost of filling in this hole?

I kind of thought the Time Warner building was pretty boring architecturally, but maybe I just haven't seen enough pictures. I'd rather see something with similar elements to the pedestal of the proposed design, with a significantly altered tower portion.

They're not referring to Time Warner's architecture (which is pretty dull) so much as the highly successful mixed-used formula used there. The list of uses is ridiculous: retail mall, performing arts center, TV studio, general office space, high-end hotel, condos... and I'm probably forgetting something else.

Even with the mediocre design, I'd take a Time Warner Center here in a heartbeat.

Good point, and my bad, I thought someone meant "thinking big" as in big, bold design.

Hynes should be FIRED, he only owns 3% of this project. Whoever at the BRA who handled this mess along with Columbus project fiasco should be FIRED.

Nothing but dirty politics that is why our skyline looks like it got built out of the 70's.

Steve Roth Deliberately Leaving Filene?s Site Vacant?
By Christina S.N. Lewis, Wall Street Journal blogs

Boston Mayor Thomas Menino, who is pushing to fill the hole in the ground that was once the Filene?s Department store, may raise his eyebrows at some recent remarks from the chairman of developer Vornado Realty Trust.

Vornado?s Stephen Roth implied Wednesday that the vacant lot?a gaping eyesore in the heart of the city?s historic shopping district ?may not be lying fallow because the developer lost its financing (as I reported last fall), but because it makes cold, hard business sense.

At a lecture at Columbia University Mr. Roth recounted how in the mid-90s he deliberately let the hulking Alexander?s department store sit vacant for more than three years, even though, as his mother put it, it was ?dirty? and there were ?bums sleeping in the sidewalks.? Mr. Roth ignored his mom and various appeals to build. Why?

?Why did I do nothing?? Mr. Roth said, according to an article on the lecture in The New York Observer. ?Because I was thinking in my own awkward way, that the more the building was a blight, the more the governments would want this to be redeveloped; the more help they would give us when the time came.

?And they did.? he said, drawing a laugh from the audience according to the article.

If Mr. Roth?s development partnership, which includes local builder Gale International, is pursuing this ?blight? strategy in Downtown Crossing it is sure to spark outrage among Boston residents and businesses who have been watching unhappily as the shopping district loses tourist traffic and retailers. Vornado did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The joint-partnership development also received financing from J.P. Morgan Chase & Co. and Mack-Cali Realty Corp.

Mr. Roth also said Wednesday that the roughly 10-year delay between his acquisition of the Alexander?s site and when his company finished building the mixed-use skyscraper known as the Bloomberg building in 2004 was intentional and not a result of his indecision as newspapers reported at the time, according to the Observer article. ?Bullshit. I knew exactly what I wanted to do,? Mr. Roth reportedly said. ?I wanted the price to go up. A lot. And I was willing to wait because I had almost no basis in the land.?

If you needed further evidence that real estate developers have ice running through their veins, this is it.

In his January inauguration speech, Mr. Menino said restarting construction of the Filene?s site was one of his administration?s top priorities. Take note Mr. Mayor: if you want Mr. Roth to get his shovels back in the ground, you may need to play hardball.

That's pretty infuriating to read, but I always assumed as much from many developers and property owners in this city. Ron Druker's manufactured blight on the Arlington/Berkeley block of Boylston is another great example.

Too bad we don't have a mayor or planning agency that calls them out on this.

Unbelievable. There clearly needs to be more stick used here than carrot.

This is no surprise at all.

As for Druker, of course he lets Shreve's slide. Of course he doesn't lower rents in downtown so we get empty storefronts. His family has owned these buildings so long, as long as each building has enough income to cover its taxes he doesn't care!

Menino is being played for a fool. And he WILL lick these people's asses to get something built.

"It's all about bucks, kid. The rest is conversation."

gordon-gekko.jpg

A protest should be held outside the lot demanding that the area be developed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back