Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Filene's

Personally, I hate the expression, "better weather." That's a highly subjective topic and it's something that so many people like to state as fact. I can't stand the Boston haters who move to places like Phoenix where they can buy a suburban home on a plot of land for less than they can get here. They rave about how much "better" the weather is because they don't have to deal with the snow. I'll take the snow (I enjoy it) over the 110+ degree summer days and dry landscape (though when I was in Tucson in January it rained/snowed every day). You hear the same stupid comparisons between Boston and the Carolinas, Boston and Florida, etc. I'll take cold winters over the unbearable humidity of a Southeastern U.S. summer any day.

Houston on average is warmer than Boston. Whether that's "better" or not depends on the individual.

^ Completely agree. Phoenix and California might not be so bad actually, but living down south with all that humidity [which means more bugs probably, yikes]...no thanks.

Of course I could think of a million reasons why i'd never move south of the mason dixon line and none of them have to do with humidity :p [yep, theres that Hub of the Universe attitude right there^]

As someone who spent 6 months in Baton Rouge La. building house's on cement slabs out in the swamps back in the 80's it sucked! The bugs and the heat sent this then 19 year old straight back to Mass! The people and the cities of B.R./N.O. were awesome though!

In the past 6 months we've had better weather than most of the rest of the country! I think we got much less snow than did Washington DC this year.

Good weather is total an individual opionion, but I think its safe to say that Boston was far more lively this last 85 degree wednesday than any day in Febuary. I was in Harvard Sq that night and it was awsome.

^ The commons were ridiculousssss that day.

Anyways, Filene's thread... I saw tourists in DTX that 85 degree Wednesday - which had apparently been here before - and they were commenting on how there's still a hole in the ground, just as when they last saw it. Good looks, Boston, good looks.

What does it say when a discussion about the "most important project in downtown Boston" has degenerated into a discussion about the weather?

Well, it's not like anything is actually happening with the project.

Thanks for the post, Pup!

Reading that WSJ comment attributed to the Columbia Law School prof made me glad I didn't go there! He confuses legality with popularity. Dim bulb reasoning.

^^ And I suppose you got a better education at Hollywood Upstairs School of Law? ;)

Not only that, but a free lap dance with every 6 credits.

Builder of Filene?s eyes how to start project soon
By Thomas Grillo
Thursday, April 15, 2010 - Updated 10h ago
+ Recent Articles

E-mail Print (0) Comments Text size Share Buzz up!The CEO of Vornado Realty Trust said he is examining every option to jump-start construction of the Filene?s redevelopment project in Downtown Crossing.

?It?s in everyone?s interest to try to make something happen there,? said Vornado CEO Michael Fascitelli, who gave his first comments on the project to reporters yesterday while attending a national real estate conference in Boston.

?We entered the Boston market with the intention of doing development, but we got caught in one of the worst downturns in the capital markets in the nation?s history. I wish we knew when we were going to start construction at Filene?s,? he said.

The New York-based real estate investment trust began demolishing Filene?s in 2008 with plans for One Franklin, a $650 million project featuring a 39-story tower and new Filene?s Basement store.

But the gaping hole on Washington Street - and comments about a deliberate blight strategy by Vornado Chairman Steve Roth - angered Mayor Thomas M. Menino, who last month threatened to seize the property by eminent domain.

Fascitelli declined to comment on the mayor?s threat or what would happen when the project?s permits expire in August. He would not say whether the $28 billion company is considering a smaller project at the site.

cw1 ?I love the mayor,? he said. ?He is a great guy, and he?s trying to do the right thing in Boston. The mayor and us are on the same page to move this forward quickly.?

While Vornado has had its share of problems, he said, the Filene?s project is more complicated because his firm is a co-developer with JPMorgan, Mack-Cali Realty Corp. and Gale International, who would have to participate in any financing plan.

?Like 99.9 percent of the commercial real estate projects nationwide, it?s not viable,? he said, ?but we are putting our heads together in a very constructive way to try to figure out what to do.?

A friend of mine knows Roth well. He says that Roth is a pompous ass who got carried away in trying to portray economic circumstance as the visionary strategy of a business genius.

Looks like that bit of revisionism bit him in the ass.

I would love to bet money that Menino's Admin bails these clowns out. The unions are almost 50% unemployed.

This Roth character will be getting some interest free loans from the stimilus package Obama pushed.

"?I love the mayor,? he said. ?He is a great guy, and he?s trying to do the right thing in Boston. The mayor and us are on the same page to move this forward quickly.?"

I enjoyed the article up until this quote.

Few people can speak or write English correctly.

From Charlie Baker:

Barbara Anderson, executive director of Citizens for Limited Taxation, endorsed Richard and I today for our plan to cut taxes and restore fiscal sanity to Beacon Hill.

Using the proper form, "X and I" sounds worse and worse every year. I look forward to the year when it's no longer considered correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back