Mission Hill Infill and Small Developments

MassDevelopment bond to support affordable senior housing in Mission Hill

By Patrick D. Rosso, Boston.com Staff

The project, which will only include one-bedroom units averaging 530 square-feet, was approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority's Board in 2010.

All the units will be affordable, with 20 units reserved for households earning no more than 30 percent of the area median income and 19 units reserved for households earning no more than 50 percent of the area median income.

The project was designed to complement the “community vision” developed for the adjacent Parcel 25, which is owned by the MBTA. The two-acre property and surrounding parcels are expected to eventually be developed into retail stores, restaurants, housing, and commercial space.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/roxbury/2014/01/hold_massdevelopment_bond_to_support_affordable_senior_housi.html

Render included in the article.

Community to discuss 'green' development proposed for Parker Street and Terrace Street

By Patrick D. Rosso, Boston.com Staff

The Mission Hill community will get a chance to weigh in on a “green” residential and commercial development proposed for Parker Street and Terrace Street.

A public meeting sponsored by the Boston Redevelopment Authority has been set for Thursday, Jan. 23 from 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. The meeting will be held at the Tobin Community Center, 1481 Tremont St.

The project, proposed by Sebastian Mariscal Studio, calls for the construction of a mixed-use development for 44 residential units, community garden space, and ground floor commercial space.

The units, which will be located on vacant lots between Parker Street and Terrace Street, will include 29 one-bedroom residences, 10 two-bedroom residences, and five three-bedroom residences, according to project documents filed with the BRA.

The commercial space, which will front on Terrace Street, will be approximately 4,120 square feet.

In addition to the units, the project also provides space for 30 car parking spaces, 82 bike parking spaces, and 48 storage units.

The project will utilize city-owned land and will be designed as an energy positive building, with approximately 14,000 square feet of solar panels and a number of other energy saving tools.

Once the project is up and running, developers estimate that it will create an energy surplus of 21 percent.

The project’s design will incorporate the elevation change between Terrace Street and Parker Street, with the approximately 14,000 square feet of community garden space planned for the development located on the roof of the units.

Additional open space will also be located at the Parker Street entrance of the building and the 53 private patio gardens included with the units.

Sebastian Mariscal Studio was one of seven developers that applied for the project. It was selected after a community process that included a publicly advertised proposal.

The property, which was appraised for $990,000, is expected be sold to the developer for $600,000, according to the Department of Neighborhood Development.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...scuss_green_development_proposed_for_par.html

'Green' residential development approved by BRA

Boston’s first energy-positive residential development, which will be located in Mission Hill, was approved by the Boston Redevelopment Authority Thursday.

Lead by the Sebastian Mariscal Studio and estimated to cost close to $13 million, the project calls for the construction of a mixed-use development for 44 residential units, community garden space, and ground floor commercial space at 778-796 Parker St. and 77 Terrace St.

Through the use of a number of “green” techniques, the new building will actually produce more energy than it consumes.

The units, which will be located on a series of vacant lots between Parker Street and Terrace Street, will include 29 one-bedroom residences, 10 two-bedroom residences, and five three-bedroom residences, according to project documents filed with the BRA.

The commercial space, which will front on Terrace Street, will be approximately 4,120 square-feet.

In addition to the units, the project also provides space for 30 car parking spaces, 82 bike parking spaces, and 48 storage units.

The project will utilize city-owned land and will incorporate approximately 14,000 square-feet of solar panels and a number of other energy saving tools.

Once the project is up and running, developers estimate that it will create an energy surplus of 21 percent.

The project’s design will incorporate the elevation change between Terrace Street and Parker Street, with the approximately 14,000 square-feet of community garden space planned for the development located on the roof of the units.

Additional open space will also be located at the Parker Street entrance of the building and the 53 private patio gardens included with the units.

Sebastian Mariscal Studio was one of seven developers that applied for the project. It was selected after a community process that included a publicly advertised proposal.

The property, which was appraised for $990,000, is expected be sold to the developer for $600,000, according to the Department of Neighborhood Development.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news..._residential_development_approved_by_bra.html

^ That's quite the cutesy little development, or at least it looks so in the plans and renders. From the PNF:

nxow.jpg

dlon.jpg

yum4.jpg

w256.jpg

Look at all the garden spaces:

9hc5.jpg

xjr6.jpg

q6v5.jpg

dgmv.jpg

iiv6.jpg

That is ambitious...

I see it's also done by Sebastian Mariscal, of the not approved parking free apartment building in Allston.

This is absolutely awesome and amazing that it actually got approval. This is the kind of theoretical architecture that you do in architecture school only to be told after that the real world doesn't work like that. In fact, it looks like someone's studio project or thesis (maybe it was!). It's not aesthetically pleasing, but that's not quite the point. It's based on rethinking urban communities (I'm reminded of cliff dwellings and pueblo villages) as well as sustainable living. This will be quite something and will gain national attention if they pull this off.

"This is the kind of theoretical architecture that you do in architecture school only to be told after that the real world doesn't work like that. "

MassArt uses this site for it's advanced arch courses all the time. I thought it was a very well-done school project until I read the two posts that followed. It is a very cool proposal.

Last edited:
"This is the kind of theoretical architecture that you do in architecture school only to be told after that the real world doesn't work like that. "

MassArt uses this site for it's advanced arch courses all the time. I thought it was a very well-done school project, until I read the two posts that followed. It is a very cool proposal.

We used it at Wentworth as well.

With the greenery all over it looks like an adaptive reuse of Fort Warren. Actually... I'd love to live in an adaptive reuse of Fort Warren!

Really love this. It's my idea of gorgeous.
However it suffers from my usual complaint about new development, it just isn't anywhere near as dense as it should be. For something so close to a T stop it eats up too much land for only 44 units. Further out from the city this would be perfect but not in this location.

Really love this. It's my idea of gorgeous.
However it suffers from my usual complaint about new development, it just isn't anywhere near as dense as it should be. For something so close to a T stop it eats up too much land for only 44 units. Further out from the city this would be perfect but not in this location.

+1 on that. This city (IMO) is dying for some well placed density. I walk down so many streets, both during the week and weekend, that in my mind could be so much more lively given the density and appropriate retail.

Its got some decent height on it. If you streetview the site that existing building with the smokestack is ~2 stories tall, and this new development is taller than that. All the surrounding buildings (including the most beautiful triple deckers I've ever seen on Parker Street) are 2-4 stories max, so it works. Especially with the rooftop gardens being accessible from the street, you don't want it too tall. If it was a block or two further south towards the commercial area I'd say go 5-8, but this works here.

I will say I'm also amazed that what appears to be a thesis project is getting built. Reminds me of when the Avalon Exeter building was proposed, the BAC had been using that space for studios for years (a site my younger and much less jaded self proposed a vinyl library/listening studio for...)

I love this architecture, however, could it be misplaced a bit?

I'm looking at that PNF and see that it is for a development in Mission Hill and all I can think is there sure are lotsa nooks and crannies for drug deals.

New Tremont St. building plan up for review

The plan for a new mixed-use building on a vacant lot next to the Tobin Community Center is up for public review.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority will hold a meeting about the plan on Tues., April 29, 7 p.m., at the Tobin Center, 1481 Tremont St.

The new building proposed for 1467 Tremont St. would have 18 units of housing and ground-floor retail space. It also would have 12 motor vehicle parking spaces and 24 bicycle parking spaces.

The proposal is the work of Trellis Group LLC, which is already working on a similar building to replace the Bsoton Clutch Works building across the street. The team includes local developer Jason Savage.

http://missionhillgazette.com/2014/04/17/new-tremont-st-building-plan-up-for-review/

Anyone want to venture why there seems to be so many retail vacancies right now on the Roxbury Crossing side of Tremont Street?

Back