MIT East Campus - Kendall Square Gateway | Cambridge

I stumbled across the facade samplers for all of these buildings on Waverly St by Fort Washington Park. They’re behind a fence, so I couldn’t get a decent photo.

Really liking the mirror glass / rust-colored accent combo on this one:

JTZb3Uv.png

Tower crane on the heat sink is on its way down today.

I wonder if this will catch on. London is world renowned for their nicknames.. the gherkin, the walkie talkie, the cheese grater, the vase is just wrapping up cladding now. I wonder if “the heat sink” will stick. If enough people say something and then especially if the media picks up on it it definitely could.

^say what you will about the new structures in this development; the preservation/restoration of the three historic structures on this stretch are a huge plus of this project.

Snapped a few shots before hopping on the Red Line this morning. This project really dominates the streetscape.

QpS49R2.jpg

Idk if its just how the camera captured it, but the building looks like it literally fades away into the sky here.

Looks lik ethey are getting ready to start work on the Bldg #1 tower. A lot of foundation work in progress.

Bldg #1by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7981 by Bos Beeline, on Flick

IMG_7984 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Bldg #3 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_7991 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8009 by Bos Beeline, on Flick

IMG_8011 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8015 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8026 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8029 by Bos Beeline, on Flick

IMG_8047 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

IMG_8051 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

^say what you will about the new structures in this development; the preservation/restoration of the three historic structures on this stretch are a huge plus of this project.

If there is one thing I have liked about Boston/Cambridge architecture it is the juxtaposition of the the old and new.

Whether the structures are "historic" or not I really like the look and feel of these pedestrian scale buildings with their street level facades. There are simply some facades that work better up close and some that look better on the skyline and this sort of preservation works to keep the best of both.

It's been a while since I've been on here with any regularity, so I was very taken aback when I biked over the Longfellow and saw this on the approach to Kendall on 4th July:

sCMs41u.jpg

It's really amazing how much of an impact these buildings are having on the Cantabrigian skyline and how dramatic the effect is from the Mass Ave bridge. A few other photos from over the last few months:

0h0DvME.jpg

gyANlzj.jpg

oImCdvp.jpg

5ySYRqW.jpg

I think because I've been isolated from ArchBoston's (at times somewhat toxic) criticism of the design for building 4, I've only been delightfully surprised of the impact of these buildings on the skyline. The gradient is so subtle from some angles and combined with the material's reflectivity has this visual dynamism that's incredibly refreshing against the backdrop of the existing buildings.

EBjUWfS.jpg

A2R1J9v.jpg

BlO3CE7.jpg

7g5PbAA.jpg

Back