MIT Expansion Plans | MIT/Kendall Square | Cambridge

Dr. Gordon Freeman would be at home in these environments. Just add some head-crab zombies and a crowbar or two.

MIT's new chiller is now clad with silver and terracotta colored alucobond! I think it looks more like a weird spaceship now.

Sloan School of Business:

4725586033_dabc710471_b.jpg

4725586749_82c48b31fa_b.jpg

4725588157_c1538ecdcc_b.jpg

4726236014_8316880597_b.jpg

4725590183_e591e1f866_b.jpg

4725591243_a74c64c361_b.jpg

4725592071_3980b0aab9_b.jpg

Surface parking makes a lovely courtyard space

I was just thinking that, jass. Could've been a nice "quad" type of element.

Also, is Sloan really a competitive school (relative to MIT's other schools)? I feel like MIT and a business school don't exactly go hand in hand, but I guess the "IT" part is a bit of a misnomer at this point.

I was just thinking that, jass. Could've been a nice "quad" type of element.

Also, is Sloan really a competitive school (relative to MIT's other schools)? I feel like MIT and a business school don't exactly go hand in hand, but I guess the "IT" part is a bit of a misnomer at this point.

Yeah Sloan is Top 10 maybe even Top 5 MBA schools. Keep in mind that MIT is arguably the best school in the country at turning academics into enterprises.

Edit: Actually #3 on US News & World Report.

Kind of impressive how closely Sloan matches the tower behind it...If that was intentional, gotta wonder 'why?'

Consider the forms and grammar of Sloan against that ugly pile on Fan Pier. Do the better materials and more stylish forms make a difference?

For my part, don't mind how Sloan looks, but dislike how it behaves in its context.

I would rather have this on Fan Pier than anything built there now.

I must give credit to the architects for trying to fill out a big site. They maintained the streetwall along Memorial Drive (they could've easily set it back 100 feet), and they did as much as they could out back to create a contained space. Alas, the site is way too big for any one building.

It's possible that they have yet another expansion in mind for the far future.

Surely. That parking lot screams nothing if not 'temporary placeholder'.

Back