Mmmm... Pizza (Discuss Your Favorite Slice)

I like Regina's food but every time I've gone there's been very subpar service. Servers with attitudes, forgetting us, rushing us out the moment we finished, etc. Not one to complain since I've worked in the industry before, but it was rather disappointing after hearing everyone rave about it for so long.

Two of the better slices I've had here recently Dragon Pizza in Davis and Haymarket pizza. I'm actually surprised that Haymarket pizza doesn't stay open at nights on the weekends. I feel like they would make a killing with the late night crowds. Speaking of slices, how is it that the seaport has no place that does slices? All of the pizza spots in the seaport are sit down places. No place to grab a quick slice and go.

Speaking of slices, how is it that the seaport has no place that does slices? All of the pizza spots in the seaport are sit down places. No place to grab a quick slice and go.
Rent prices.

I would also echo dollar slices in NYC: I would rather pay them 2-3 dollars for it and not have it made with whatever they could for a dollar. I guess they have their 2-4am drunken uses, but, you also have gyros for that. Much better pizza in NYC (Johns, Suprema, etc). I would argue New Haven is the best, though. Boston's pizza isn't terrible, either. Adding on to Reginas/Pleasant/Tony's (sorry, Santarpios, not a fan), Molinari's is good, Target is OK (might not be after ownership change), and others are good. Plus bar pizza.

When I lived in NYC, I thought the dollar slices were usually terrible.

To be honest, in some ways I thought NYC pizza was overrated. Most places were just mediocre, but when you found a good one, it was better than anywhere else in the country (except New Haven). I think NYC has a reputation for such good pizza because you can get them anywhere.

I actually agree with you. I get a lot of push back here but NY style is my least favorite. Detroit, Grandma, Brooklyn (a new thing more like Neapolitan), all better.

My favorite ever was from a small mom and pop place in Arlington which is long shut down. I don't remember the name ATM.

Are we not mentioning Regina's because it's generally understood to be the best pizza in Boston or are we doing the hipster, nose-in-air, "Askually, Regina's is very over-rated" thing?

I think we weren't mentioning it because it was original about "affordable" slices, and Regina's is pretty expensive. I used to work at the one in the Burlington Mall (like 2 full decades ago) and have always had a soft spot.

However, I'm starting to lean towards Upper Crust over Reginas (and Pepes) when buying full large pizzas. I think they reheat better in my toaster oven. The ultra crispy crust (especially with a long reheat) is unparalleled. The slices are a bit expensive but at least they give you 1/4 of an 18" pizza, so not like they're skimping there. It's just that, often I would rather have half that much and pay half the price.

Last edited:
My neighborhood joint has been Mama Gina's in Union for years now.

Hell yes! That's what it was! Man, I miss them.
It was really weird to say that I thought that the best pizza in the world--on par with what you'd get in Rome or Sicily (except that Sabatinos would not offer to put an egg on top)--was two blocks from my house. I feel less alone to have you say you were a fan too.

I haven’t lived in central/southern Connecticut for 20 years. And I still desperately yearn for the pizza there.
Some people up here call it "New London Style" and there are a pair of named pizzerias in Concord and Acton that specialize in it. I rarely eat pizza in Boston because it isn't like CT Greek style.

I know the Greek family that runs Concord NL Style and do like their stuff. (Another relative of theirs runs the other)

Some people up here call it "New London Style" and there are a pair of named pizzerias in Concord and Acton that specialize in it. I rarely eat pizza in Boston because it isn't like CT Greek style.
This has always baffled me. I grew up across the river from New London, and there's no notable pizza tradition there. (2 Wives a short walk from the Amtrak station is excellent, but a fairly recent addition.)

I always liked Papa Ginos sauce. When I was a kid there was a Papa Ginos in Mattapan Square where we could sit and watch the guy make pizza after pizza. Now it is a big chain and the pizzas are often made by teenagers

Not really a fan of Greek style. When I speak of central/Southern Connectcut , I'm referring to how the nearby presence of the New Haven pizza shops (Frank Pepe's, Sallys) impacted pizza in the surrounding towns, including where I grew up in Meriden & Wallingford. Simply put, local pizza shops feel like they are constantly being measured against the New Haven places so they, in turn, up their game. Growing up, it was not uncommon for my family to argue on pizza night about whihc shop we were going to, because we had 4 or 5 really good options all within a couple of miles from our house. Since leaving home, I've lived in a few different places (NJ, upstate NY, Boston) and honestly struggled to find even one local shop that I think compares to what I grew up with. The closest I can think of here would be Regina and believe it or not, the local chain Comelas (though certainly not a perfect match by any means.

I love living in Winthrop and there's some realy good restaurants, but sa far as good pizza is concerned, it's a virtual desert.

This has always baffled me. I grew up across the river from New London, and there's no notable pizza tradition there. (2 Wives a short walk from the Amtrak station is excellent, but a fairly recent addition.)
At least 2 Greek families (brothers), upon being resettled in New England after being kicked out by the Turks in the 1970s, became convinced that the style of pizza they were doing was "New London Style". Kinda like Brits calling chocolate chip cookies "Maryland Cookies" (to the bafflement of Marylanders) or us calling Crumpets "English Muffins"

Back