Modernist Abominations

ablarc

Reaction score
Some folks loathe the Modernist architecture of City Hall and its cousins by Rudolph and Sert. They want the Brutalist "offenses" torn down, although (or because) these have obvious artistic aspirations:

0080.jpg

I would say that the Hurley is one of the five worst buildings in Boston from an urban design perspective. Like most modern buildings it has not aged well- ie the patina of age is not nearly as flattering as it is upon neo-classical structures. And while the composition may have succeeded as a sculptural monument had the tower been added, the complex is a hostile imposing megalith that does not care or relate to its surroundings.

Here are five that are as bad urbanistically but without redeeming artistic characteristics. The real Modernist abominations that deserve wrecking are under-the-radar, anti-urban banalities that despoil distinguished surroundings.

Everyone agrees on the execrable Midtown Motor Inn:

0084.jpg

While you're at it, though, take out those awful white corner buildings at Mass Ave with their laughably inept relationship to the sidewalk:

0088.jpg

And let the replacement take its place with the boulevard buildings waiting to spill over onto the Midtown' underutilized land:

0092.jpg

Hardly noticed by most because it's so mousy --but blocking a prime opportunity-- is the comparably awful Harvard Square Motor Hotel:

0120.jpg

Perched on its acropolis of cars, this pustule from suburbia thinks it's still in Waltham --though it squats on an urban site axial with Harvard Square:

0200.jpg

I say tearrr it down pronto (way before City Hall!) and replace it with something worthy of its monumental locale:

0220.jpg

Quincy's Granite Trust springs to mind, the world's smallest skyscraper. Just right for Harvard Square:

0240.jpg

Sad Quincy! You can't take a picture anywhere without parking lots. Pitiable shards are all that's left. Brutalized and beat up, there's hardly any there there (at least anything urban). Where I live in sunbelt suburbia, they build places to this pattern in place of shopping malls: parking all around a little scenographic intersection of "city streets" with chain stores. Two-dimensional and public- relational, they're called lifestyle-centers or power centers, or something. But they only attract customers if they're brand new and kept up.

Granite could be a nifty terminus for two channels of space-- one to greet subway arrivers:

0250.jpg

Also ripe for excision is this carbuncle of modernism that mars the South End's nicest stretch. And look! it comes complete with parking lot (where once was schoolyard):

0260.jpg

Talk about out-of-scale. Actually shorter than its neighbors, NIMBYs note --but will you look at what it does to the street? Cancer in the tenderloin:

0280.jpg

Have you ever enjoyed walking beside this? It's right astride your stroll from Back Bay Station to Union Park or the BCA:

0290.jpg

0300.jpg

Fine scale, coarse scale.

0301.jpg

All in all, an obscenity.

Surgery could rid a potentially charming urban place of this modernist boil:

0302.jpg

Here it is in context, poisoning its surroundings:

0304.jpg

A building with the footprint of a block. A block of the same size with the diversity of 14 buildings.

The 14 buildings at the same scale. You could replicate them on the footprint of the modern horror, and end up with quite a nice little urban enclave on two sides of the T station:

0306.jpg

South End gentrification took forever because of the crime problem. It's hard to believe these were ever thought of as improvements:
0320.jpg

Sinister presences, like hooded klansmen:

0340.jpg

Equally bad seen from the street:

0360.jpg

Malevolent and dispiriting buildings. Tough. Really tough. Even tough for the Bronx:

0400.jpg

Why so tough?

On Huntington Avenue, Miami massing glares across the street at dilapidated rowhouses. Nothing good can be said about the street smarts of this project or its townhouse neighbor with the curvy streets. Too big and too new to replace, these will afflict the city for decades:

0750.jpg

Don't even get me going on this abomination in Charlestown --easily the stupidest building in Boston. Should be sent skittering back to the suburbs where it belongs. And to think it's right beside City Square, a place once worthy of its name:

0800.jpg

Yup, that's the Constitution right next door. Hundreds of tourists have to trek by this daily.

Who says nothing's perfect? This building is as perfectly idiotic as it's possible to be. It has not one single, solitary redeeming characteristic. It is 100% unadulterated fecal matter. It needs to be knocked down forthwith, no questions asked.

With a gallery of clunkers like the ones above, couldn't we maybe cut City Hall a little slack?

What is the function of the South End "carbuncle of modernism" building?

And what is the "building with the footprint of a block"? I do not recognize it even with the surrounding context. Is it a hospital? (If so, hard to make one that isn't some kind of superblock.)

these examples really do paint GC and the Hurley in a different light....

What is the function of the South End "carbuncle of modernism" building?
Public school. Is it still? Guess the teachers park in the playground.

And what is the "building with the footprint of a block"? I do not recognize it even with the surrounding context. Is it a hospital? (If so, hard to make one that isn't some kind of superblock.)
Corporate HQ. It's oriented to Rte. 9 in its guise as highway. Re-oriented towards the Brookline Village Green Line stop, it could add up to a nice little patch of urban fabric --Brookline's SoHo.

without that parking lot, south end businesses would suffer tremendously on weekend nights.. even though parking isn't allowed there, everbody always does and they never tow.

As for Brookline Village...well, it's pretty much a given that anything on Rt 9 is doomed to fail. It's an inhospitable environment for pedestrians and the traffic is awful. And that's why it's basically become Brookline's office park - look down the street at One Brookline Place, or whatever it's called. I agree that a new urban enclave, oriented towards the T, would be wonderful. Unfortunately, Rt 9 isn't just a highway in disguise - it IS a highway (with more potholes)...and it's caused massive problems for all of the business that try to open up anywhere along that stretch between Maimonides and Huntington Ave. There's even a frickin car dealership up by the Cypress intersection (not Norwood, Brookline!).

I think there's a thread in the new development section about the town's attempts to revitalize that corridor (somewhere in the vicinity of Boston Interiors/old Lincoln School/that funky Scuba Diving shop)...but as long as this remains the quickest way to get to Longwood, I doubt anything will change.

Lastly...that building in Charlestown is nauseating.

0302.jpg

Does it shock anyone that my office is in this building?

Let it be noted, my affection for concrete does not extend to this unimaginative pile. It positively looms over the Brookline Village T-stop, and the HVAC system is, to be polite, unhelpful.

Last edited:
What about this building on the southwest corner of Newbury and Hereford? It's an alright example of brutalism, though, not nearly as good as some of the state's best examples. There is no excessive parking area (presumably due to the size of the lot) but the building itself is out of place and the ground level is terribly done, especially considering the location. Walking by it on Sunday, I felt that it seemed disconnected from the rest of the environment.

That's the Boston Architectural College. The ground level is an entrance lobby and art gallery, not retail, but that seems to me appropriate for a college.

^ Used to be, the lobby functioned sort of like a storefront intended to lure the public in to exhibitions and even juries (critiques of student work). I always liked its medieval gloom. Black concrete, as I recall. Is the Haas trompe-l'oeil still in good shape?

Off topic:

I was looking into taking some night courses at BAC (nothing architectural, sadly, probably more sustainable design or historical preservation classes, if anything.) What kind of reputation does the school have? Is it worthwhile for a 'beginner' (ie someone like myself, an older student with no real background in architecture/design) to take classes there? Or is architecture/preservation/design just something you need to start at a very young age?

I was looking into taking some night courses at BAC
My info's old and might be outdated.

What kind of reputation does the school have?
Enthusiast faculty of amateur professors/professional practitioners. Somewhat potluck. Ask students inside the building; you'll find which faculty members have the good reputations.

Is it worthwhile for a 'beginner' to take classes there?
Yes. Especially considering how knowledgeable you already are,

Or is architecture/preservation/design just something you need to start at a very young age?
No

That's the Boston Architectural College. The ground level is an entrance lobby and art gallery, not retail, but that seems to me appropriate for a college.

... And that would explain the disconnected feeling i got. Thanks, that clears it up a bit for me.

Off topic:

I was looking into taking some night courses at BAC (nothing architectural, sadly, probably more sustainable design or historical preservation classes, if anything.) What kind of reputation does the school have? Is it worthwhile for a 'beginner' (ie someone like myself, an older student with no real background in architecture/design) to take classes there? Or is architecture/preservation/design just something you need to start at a very young age?
I was up there last year visiting the school, I have been considering going back and finishing school and having been working in the field for 20 years their practice based curriculum really appeals to me. Evidently they do have quite a few "more experienced" students like myself (I am 44). The program is setup for those with no experience but they also have options for those with prior work experience, it just cuts down on the amount of time that you have to go to graduate. I am still trying to talk the wife into moving up there. At the firm that worked at in Oklahoma City we had a "new intern" who was 55 (this was 10 years ago), he was in sales all of his career but was always interested in architecture. He grew tired of sales and decided to go back to school, so he enrolled at the University of Oklahoma at age 49 and really enjoyed the experience.

Most of the classes are at night, Berklee has some classes in the building during the day. We were there on a Friday which they said is pretty dead around the school as most classes are Monday-Thursday night.

I like the BAC building, but primarily because it provides such a strong contrast to the traditional Newbury Street style. (I can't say anything about the merits of the building's interior as I've only ever been to exhibits in the lobby.) I would hate to see more buildings on Newbury like it, but one building outside the style of a neighborhood can be refreshing.

The BAC building is definitely a rare example of a brutalist building that actually meshes very well with it's surroundings. The ground floor gallery really works.

Back