Modernist Abominations

Don't even get me going on this abomination in Charlestown --easily the stupidest building in Boston...
0800.jpg
Who says nothing's perfect? This building is as perfectly idiotic as it's possible to be. It has not one single, solitary redeeming characteristic. It is 100% unadulterated fecal matter. It needs to be knocked down forthwith, no questions asked.

I had a meeting here last Friday. The moniker above is indeed apt.

Who does this building belong to? Demolishing it to extend the parking lot would actually be an improvement. Ditto for the other building on this pier.

I believe Partners Healthcare is the anchor tenant in the larger building. I was in a hurry to leave, so I failed to note the other tenants on the signage in the lobby.

Developed by Corcoran & Jennison. Cheap, cheap developers with a similar reputation to somebody like Joe Park Lane Fallon. Currently owned by National Development.

In fairness, you cannot build anything smart in Charlestown. The community group is a ruthless gang of blood-thirsty local thugs who refuse any and all overtures by outside developers. Charlestown is a disgusting place to do real estate business, probably the most awful scrap of dirt in all of Boston for a developer.

Also, developing this pier had TONS of restrictions due to the Constitution being docked next to it. I'm not defending it, I hate it.

I have been to tons and tons of meetings there, the branding agency my old firm used is housed there. The waterfront offices are beautiful and the people who work there seem to like it - for what that's worth.

Is Charlestown the most insular neighborhood in Boston? I remember when they were dead set against the name "Zakim Bridge", earning them the proud badge of anti-Semitism, and forcing the awkward compromise that is its full name today.

And then there was the incident when I was taking photos of a street in the northern part of the neighborhood and some guy with nothing but an undershirt on (it was a freezing day) chased me away, screaming something about real estate agents...

Charlestown is awful. I know developers who pass up perfectly good deals there and just say "I'm not dealing with that nightmare"

Someday, ask somebody to tell you unprintable stories about the City Square development process...

THe worst part about this building in Charlestown that ablarc deemed "Fecal matter" is that the corporate cafe is run by a local who was ordained to have that cafe. He can't go. As I've understood it, this would cause "neighborhood problems".

I dare anybody who has eaten even one sandwich there to try to eat another.

If you want to build in Charlestown - even if you want to build fecal matter - be prepared to pay in more than just money.

Is Charlestown the most insular neighborhood in Boston?

Have you guys forgotten that West Roxbury is technically part of Boston? Try building anything other than a single family house there. It won't happen.

Charlestown: so near and yet so far. It needs to be knit back into the city. Instead of moving the Orange Line, they should have buried it. The stations were in the right places.

Back