More Fenway Park Renovations

Also, what renovation is left to do? Janet Marie Smith has left, saying that her job at Fenway was finished.

More seats will eventually be cantilevered around the stadium along the lines of the Green Monster seating. That's something which won't occur until Yawkey Station is upgraded and the series of garages are built over the the Mass Pike behind Landsdowne Street. That decking and garage construction is going to take a significant capital campaign equal to the work on Fenway Park over the last several years. So that will take awhile. Increasing capacity simply will not happen until the transportation infrastructure to support it exists around the ballpark.

Also, what renovation is left to do? Janet Marie Smith has left, saying that her job at Fenway was finished.

I think the stadium could use more monitors.

Also, I think seats are changed every season as needed.

But yeah, I dont understand how so many pro-teams get away with tax funded stadiums.

College teams draw higher and play in stadiums many times older.

Mostly by threatening to leave for another state if they don't get tax funding.

College teams also have a much bigger automatic fan base than most professional teams do.

And yeah, 30 to 40 years? Bullshit! Fenway can be there as long as they want to keep it there.

Mostly by threatening to leave for another state if they don't get tax funding.

The Yankees never threatened to leave and somehow they got huge tax breaks despite being the most valuable franchise in American sports. I'll never understand that one.

The Yankees never threatened to leave and somehow they got huge tax breaks despite being the most valuable franchise in American sports. I'll never understand that one.

Really? Didn't Steinbrenner often threaten a move to Jersey back when he first started bitching about building a new monument to his own ego?

Yes, in the past he most certainly did, but strangely enough there was minimal bitching leading up to the 2005 announcement. And this despite the city and state offering way less than what Giuliani proposed in 2001.

The outside the stadium/street closure stuff is a copy of what they do at Petco Field in San Diego. Which is no surprise, since Larry Lucchino was in charge of the construction of Petco.

This years renovations include (from what I hear) include replacing the right field grandstand seats and supposedly the Scoreboard will be replaced with a HD Screen like other parks. If someone has any more info, feel free to post it. Thank you very much.

Why? Fenway and Wrigley are the last two with hand operated scoreboards. Why would it be interesting to change that?

I'm fairly certain there would be rioting in the streets.

I believe only the AL scoreboard can be operated from behind the Wall, while they have to walk out in front between half-innings to update the NL scoreboard. Am I right about this?

Why? Fenway and Wrigley are the last two with hand operated scoreboards. Why would it be interesting to change that?
I didn't say that I would support it...I just thought that it would be interesting to see an icon turn into a generic, plastic scoreboard!

Oh, and there wasn't any rioting back in 1997 when the New Fenway was proposed.

One hears a lot of things in this city. Last year I was walking down Mass Ave and I overheard two suits in front of me say construction was to recommence on the Filene's project in January 2010. Needless to say, don't believe everything you hear. There's a lot of bullshit floating around, especially from the real estate and construction types and your supposition concerning the scoreboard is probably just that, bullshit.

Eh, It would make sense though. The current scoreboard sucks. The modern generation of scoreboards is very nice. The Sox have the cash, plus they are all about keeping up with the Joneses (in this case literally)

Back