More use for Cambridge's rail line

GW2500

Reaction score
I must admite this is a very hidden rail line, I only saw a train on it for the first time 2 years ago.

Globe, My town section Cambridge

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/camb...sed_rail_line_a_key_link_to_worcester/?page=2

Early last week, I joined Lieutenant Governor Timothy P. Murray and a trio of transportation officials for a rumbling ride across Cambridge on a little-known railroad called the Grand Junction.

Tweet 0diggsdiggYahoo! Buzz ShareThis Never heard of it? You are not alone. When I wrote about the Grand Junction a month ago, mentioning a live railroad crossing at Massachusetts Avenue near MIT, one copy editor at the Globe assured me I was mistaken. Others knew the tracks but assumed they had been abandoned.

But the 8-mile Grand Junction ? which follows a serpentine path from Brighton to East Boston ? is indeed an active freight line, though seldom used. It is one of four properties in the state?s half-complete, $100 million deal with the shipping company CSX to acquire rail lines in Eastern Massachusetts for commuter purposes. And Murray wants to use this piece immediately.

The Grand Junction, a century and a half old, is the only connection in Greater Boston between the train lines that flow in and out of North Station and the lines that go to South Station. It begins at a Brighton rail yard, crosses the Charles River below the BU Bridge, and follows a serpentine path through Cambridgeport, East Cambridge, East Somerville, Everett, and Chelsea before entering East Boston from the north.

Murray, a former Worcester city councilor and mayor, has long been a proponent of running 20 or more commuter rail round trips a day between that city and Boston. (In 1994 there were just three; now there are 12 1/2, with one more inbound than outbound.) But South Station is at capacity, meaning trains already wait to get in and out at rush hour, and the plan to expand it is costly and complex. The Grand Junction would offer a quick way to jump trains on the Worcester/Framingham line across the river, through Cambridge, and toward tracks heading toward North Station, which is not yet at capacity. Murray hopes to do that as early as 2012.

?It?s about [creating] job and economic development opportunities, it?s about doing that in an environmentally friendly way, and about utilizing one of the assets that the Commonwealth possesses,?? Murray said.

We started our tour on the Cambridge-Somerville border, in the shadow of the McGrath/O?Brien elevated highway, walking south along the tracks toward Kendall Square. Workers from the Massachusetts Bay Commuter Railroad ? the company that runs the T?s commuter rail ? were in the middle of a three-week, $530,000 project to replace about 3,000 splintering wooden ties on the Grand Junction, clear debris and brush, fix curving and aging rails, and otherwise bring a 10-mile-an-hour-limit freight route up to the standards needed for passenger service.

(Before any Worcester trains run to North Station, about $1.6 million would also need to be invested in a yearlong project to add gates to six road crossings in Cambridge, a project that has not yet been authorized, according to MBTA spokesman Joe Pesaturo. A commuter rail stop in Kendall, something else Murray envisions, would be much further off and require much greater investment.)

After walking among a succession of track workers and heavy machinery ? tie handlers, spike pullers, magnetic scrappers ? we crossed Cambridge Street and saw the vehicle that would carry us the rest of the way: an extended-cab Chevrolet pickup retrofitted as a Hy-Rail vehicle, with the ability to run on road and rails alike.

Tweet 0diggsdiggYahoo! Buzz ShareThis Transportation Secretary Jeffrey B. Mullan, MBTA general manager Richard A. Davey, and MBTA director of railroad operations Jody Ray were no strangers to the Hy-Rail, but Murray and I were impressed. It was a far cry from the two-man handcars of old Westerns and cartoons.

?I thought me and Jeff would be going like this,?? Murray joked, mimicking the up-and-down motion of an old-fashioned handcar.

High-tech as the Hy-Rail was, it lacked power windows. ?Old school,?? Murray said, reaching for the window crank.

?We?re trying to save money wherever we can,?? Mullan said, deadpan. The Hy-Rail, like much of the T?s track equipment, was purchased with cash acquired by selling old rails and spikes for scrap.

We followed the Grand Junction across Broadway, amid the towering tech buildings of Kendall Square, and again across Mass. Ave., near the massive brick Metropolitan Storage Warehouse, stamped FIRE PROOF in white letters.

In each case we needed the help of flaggers, flashing lights, and ringing bells ? because motorists there are unaccustomed to trains passing. (The T and Amtrak use the route occasionally at night to move cars for service; freight trains currently use it just once a day.)

?They really have lost any fear,?? said Ray, our guide, of drivers who assume the tracks have fallen out of use with the departure of heavy industry in the area. ?If the signalman wasn?t standing there right now, people would be driving right through the lights and the bells.??

We banked right toward Cambridgeport, passing the rear of MIT laboratories, the siding where circus trains still drop off animals once a year for a parade to TD Garden, and a postage stamp of green where cannons are pointed at the track ? Fort Washington, now a designated dog park where George Washington had ordered an embankment in 1775.

?I didn?t know MIT had cannons,?? Davey mused.

?That?s in case Harvard invades,?? said Murray, from the front passenger seat.

?Aw, they got Harvard,?? said Mullan, seated in the middle. ?They?re concerned about Caltech.??

Approaching Memorial Drive, Mullan noted an old Ford assembly plant that was rehabbed in the 1990s as a high-tech hub.

Ahead loomed the Grand Junction?s bridge over the Charles River, crossing diagonally under the BU Bridge. But first, we passed beneath a pair of graffiti-covered overpasses carrying Memorial Drive above the tracks. Half a dozen men sat among tarps and living-room furniture, sharing a midmorning beer by the rails ? a hidden encampment that won?t be so hidden if the commuter rail starts running. One of them offered a friendly salute, and Murray waved back, flashing the two fingers of peace and victory.

?How are ya??? Murray called, in campaign mode.

?I?m not sure they?ve registered yet, governor,?? Mullan quipped.

?They?ve got the flag up,?? Murray said.

?Flag up,?? Mullan countered. ?And Budweisers.??

Use of this ROW as the North South Rail-Link starting with the Worcester line will save it from EVER being converted into BRT for the joke of an Urban Ring. Horay!

I've walked this line before. The road crossings are going to be a big problem, not just from ignorant drivers but just basic traffic. For the time being it would probably make sense to just throw in gates but if the line does begin to back traffic up then the state is looking at some costly grade separations. That, and since MIT built over the ROW there will be a number of crossings that will always be an at-grade crossing.

Still, this might be good, especially for game nights at the Garden. But what about all the people who work in the Back Bay and Financial District?

And if anyone is wondering, I'm almost certain that the Grand Junction Line never served passengers. From what I've seen it was all freight, bypassing downtown Boston for the docks in East Boston.

I rather hate the term "North-South Rail Link" for this project. All it would do is make the Worcester Line both a South Side and North Side line, or if they go all the way, just another North Side line. But there's no way we'll ever see revenue trips for any other South Side line on this.

With North Station having excess capacity, Spaulding Rehab moving out and allowing for 2 more empty North Station platforms to be linked up, South Station basically full, and more South Side rail projects on the way, this project is absolutely necessary and worthwhile. They should get working on double tracking the Grand Junction and make the Worcester Line a full North Side line. If people are going to get pissy about that, then have some trains terminate at Back Bay (completely reasonable to terminate there, no?).

Agree 100% with Lurker that this line better not ever turn into some BRT joke as they planned at one time.

How would you terminate a train at Back Bay?

Boot everyone off, change to an outbound or outbound deadhead, crossover to the right track en route to Worcester.

I suppose the problem would be that all trains currently rotate around the lines throughout the day, these ones would have to be dedicated to Worcester, or wouldn't rotate until they eventually terminate at North Station.

The other good part about this project is it allows the MBTA to easily shift rolling stock to either side of the system for use or maintenance.

4 trains a day, every day, does not constitute seldom use.

I think that is reserved for tracks used for a once a month delivery, or less, like the watertown rail line.

Call it the Grand Junction.

What a name for a line!

I'd ride it for the name alone.

^^ I agree it is a nice name. But it's kind or ironic it has such a big sounding name considering half (total guess) of Cambridge residents probably don't even know it exists.

It's hard to miss, considering it crosses both Mass Ave. and Broadway. I doubt many know the name of it, though. I must admit, the first few times I heard the name I couldn't see it matching my BU bridge-centric knowledge of the ROW. I'm glad it will be used for passenger rail. Maybe someday it can be used for rapid transit rail, but this is at least a start in the right direction.

^^ I agree it is a nice name. But it's kind or ironic it has such a big sounding name considering half (total guess) of Cambridge residents probably don't even know it exists.
Not to worry. With a name like that, the public-relationistas will assure that its reputation will precede it.

I've never been able to fully trace the GJ through Everett, Chelsea and East Boston. Is the CR through Chelsea actually follwing the GJ? And if so, where does that spur to East Boston? I see a disused ROW that branches towards the Chelsea Street bridge, but that's about it.

The line splits at the Broadway bridge in Chelsea. You can just make out the ROW at the intersection of Eastern and Central Aves.

Here is a quick map showing the line http://goo.gl/maps/eycK

I found this linked to on UHub. Interesting debate:

From Cambridge Day (http://www.cambridgeday.com/2010/12...ridge-seen-as-cost-of-regions-fight-for-jobs/)

Commuter rail through Cambridge seen as cost of region?s fight for jobsBy Marc Levy
Published: December 17, 2010

City councillors Leland Cheung, of Cambridge, and Mike Ross, of Boston, speak Thursday at the Museum of Science at a meeting they organized to craft a regional approach to job growth. (Photo: Marc Levy)

There was one very real and immediate concern emerging from two hours of talk Thursday about how Cambridge and Boston must work together to stay on top economically: A ?Grand Junction? commuter rail line through Cambridge is all but certain, despite the howls of protest the plan draws from city officials and residents.

The 8.6-mile, 150-year-old freight rail line is already being refurbished after years of neglect ? getting it running between North Station and Worcester has been a priority for former Worcester mayor and current Lt. Gov. Timothy Murray ? and some estimates say there will be 25 trains a day running on the line within a year.

In October, city councillors vowed to fight in favor of the city?s own plans. But their opposition may not mean much against the firepower seen at the Museum of Science for a ?Joint Hearing on Economic Clusters & the Competitiveness of Our Region? that drew members of both cities? councils, representatives of Boston Mayor Tom Menino, Harvard and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, state business czar Greg Bialecki and British Consul General Dr. Phil Budden and a horde of speakers from area think tanks and business organizations.

One of the common messages was that it?s not just Cambridge and Boston that must work together to attract and retain businesses, but the whole area, including Allston, Somerville and especially Worcester, which is seeing its own burst of life-sciences business growth.

The state is seeing job losses overall, though, even in such key industries as medicine, information technology and financial service, while economic ?cluster? competitors such as Dallas-Fort Worth ? where the costs of housing and living are much less expensive ? are gaining them.

Connecting communities is ?critical?
?Connectivity in a cluster is critical,? said Richard Dimino, president and chief executive of A Better City, a nonprofit known as Artery Business Committee when it formed in 1989 to build support for the Big Dig. ?We have to find a way of connecting these geographies, these populations. So I start talking about how do we improve commuter rail access from Worcester to the Allston Landing area to Cambridge and to Boston. It?s very important because the high technology, life-science, educational credentials of the Worcester area need to relate directly to the Boston-Cambridge area. We want these clusters to grow and really develop, but the transportation system really needs to support that.?

That includes shipping equipment and goods and serving commuters in Worcester and beyond as well as people who need, for example, to get from Kendall Square in Cambridge to Boston?s Longwood Medical Area, or from Cambridge to Boston?s waterfront convention center, he said. There?s much work to be done: While we have ?one of the finest transit systems in the world,? he said, the area still faces having the sixth-worst commute in the nation.

?We have lost people, we?ve lost talent, because of the lack of connectivity within the cluster, because people feel they?re not able to connect to the industry, to the medicine and science, to the education and job placement and to where they want to live,? he said.

While Dimino was hardly the only speaker to discuss the transportation?s importance to the vitality of the area, his was the most sustained discussion of it ? including the need to maintain and upgrade over the next two decades transportation links such as the several bridges connecting the cities across the Charles River.

The CSX train right of way by Kendall Square, which the state owns, is ?the critical link between Cambridge and Boston,? he said, and it is atop the old Grand Junction bridge. ?We have to find a way to make this bridge and the connection between these two cities and the Longwood Medical Area and Kendall and the rest of that [area] work more effectively ? we also need to make sure that the existing transit systems serving the work force getting in and out of these areas today doesn?t come to a grinding halt.?

While the Massachusetts Bay Transit authority faces a shortfall next fiscal year of between $110 million and $155 million, national competitors such as Baltimore, Philadelphia, San Diego, San Francisco and Raleigh-Durham, N.C., have already spent billions on transportation infrastructure improvements, Dimino said, so they can steal jobs from Boston and Cambridge.

Concession to Cambridge
Dimino?s plans include a transportation center in Allston, where Harvard has begun a massive expansion but put it on hold to wait out the recession, and more bus rapid transit all the way to the University of Massachusetts at Boston.

Cambridge residents, though, will be wary of an Allston station drawing off funds. Getting the Grand Junction commuter rail line to stop in the city, rather than just hurtling through, has been residents? fallback position if the taking of the tracks can?t be stopped completely.

?The reality is, when you look at who?s behind it ? the people who are involved with it already ? it?d be a stretch to think we could stop it from happening,? Cheung said after the meeting, referring to the Grand Junction line. ?I?ve been doing a lot of work to try to at least get a stop in Cambridge. If they?re going to come through, the worst thing would be for them to go through and not even stop in the city.?

Cheung said he was holding meetings with state-level transportation officials and staffers for U.S. Rep. Mike Capuano, who represents the area. Fellow city councillor Tim Toomey said in October that he was ?aggressively? working against the plan in his other elected role: state representative for Cambridge and Somerville.

In East Cambridge, residents have been frustrated by the state?s intentions for old and new Lechmere T stops. Asked whether Cambridge giving up its own plans for the Grand Junction land could result in concessions at Lechmere, Cheung said it was too early to tell.

The meeting, held at the Museum of Science because it?s the only building with portions in both cities, was opposed by some city councillors when Cheung brought up the idea Nov. 22. But Mayor David Maher and councillors Ken Reeves, Sam Seidel and Denise Simmons attended, as did City Manager Robert W. Healy Jr. and members of the city?s economic development team. The museum?s theater also had some 60 people in the audience.

Cheung and Boston city councillor Mike Ross, who organized the meeting together, vowed to announce a next step soon.

My questions:

1) Why is the default to talk about expanding commuter rail? Between representatives of Boston, Cambridge, MIT and Harvard, wouldn't someone steer the debate towards the merits of rapid transit along the corridor? It seems BRT was mentioned in an amorphous way (perhaps bad reporting), but the assumption in the main appears to be that this rail corridor will benefit the suburbs and Worcester - not Boston or Cambridge. How did we get to this place?

2) I thought the true benefit here would be increasing capacity at South Station, not some theoretical linking of Worcester and Kendall clusters. Shoddy reporting, or an ignorant crowd?

I found this linked to on UHub. Interesting debate:

From Cambridge Day (http://www.cambridgeday.com/2010/12...ridge-seen-as-cost-of-regions-fight-for-jobs/)

My questions:

1) Why is the default to talk about expanding commuter rail? Between representatives of Boston, Cambridge, MIT and Harvard, wouldn't someone steer the debate towards the merits of rapid transit along the corridor? It seems BRT was mentioned in an amorphous way (perhaps bad reporting), but the assumption in the main appears to be that this rail corridor will benefit the suburbs and Worcester - not Boston or Cambridge. How did we get to this place?

2) I thought the true benefit here would be increasing capacity at South Station, not some theoretical linking of Worcester and Kendall clusters. Shoddy reporting, or an ignorant crowd?

1) Upgrading the rail could eventually lead to some type of indigo line part 2.

NS-Kendall-BU Bridge-Allston-Brighton-Newtonville-Riverside
and
SS-Back Bay-Yawkey-BU Bridge - Allston-Brighton-Newtonville-Riverside

Like the A line but with DMUs and no traffic.

2)Yup, the actual reason is to shift trains out of SS. Of course, once you have a project, it's easy to create a list of benefits/reasons.

Given the necessity of linking Allston/Brighton/Kenmore easily to Cambridge/North Station, was lightrail ever considered for this line over commuter trains?

Unless there's going to be a north-south rail link sometime soon, this has to remain commuter rail or an Indigo-Line type of shuttle service. Freight still moves on a daily basis through this corridor, and there can be multiple moves by MBCR in a day. How are you going to make these moves otherwise?

And we're talking produce shipments, too, which shouldn't sit in a yard all day so they can only move over at night. And you can't share track in the day without royally screwed headways.

Back