More use for Cambridge's rail line

Is this wide enough for 4 tracks?

This would make a good 3rd branch of the green line extension from lechmere

I think it is also important that this be available for the commuter rail incase anything happens to the tracks into Boston, just as the Fairmont backs up the North East Corridor. The Fairmont line was used for this when the Orange Line and rail lines were put underground in the South End.

Now where to sent a 4th branch of the greeen line extension???

No, it is only wide enough for 2, especially after MIT built over the ROW.

This is a good idea as long as there are some grade separations and Kendall Sq gets a station. Otherwise this will just create a traffic nightmare.

As long as the trains don't block crossings while stopped at the station, they should have little impact on traffic.

I've never understood the complaint about trains and blocking roads.

What makes the train taking 25 seconds worse than an intersection where a cross street gets 45?

I've never understood the complaint about trains and blocking roads.

What makes the train taking 25 seconds worse than an intersection where a cross street gets 45?

Oh the horror! 25 seconds of train crossing for the a train once an hour when we could have 45 second red light every 45 seconds of green light? Oh the huge-matinees!

Anyways, what about cut-and-covering the line underneath for subway/light rail? It seems to be something rarely thought of. It's way cheaper than tunnel boring, but the line would of course have to be taken out of service for the initial measures. Perhaps they could have temporary "bridges" to support the line as they work there way under it.

The red line under Main Street would be a huge obstacle if you wanted to cut and cover the rail line.

Are train crossings 25 seconds? I know when they cross in Chelsea, traffic backs up a lot more than a regular red light. I never timed it, but I'm pretty sure it's longer than 25 seconds.

Are train crossings 25 seconds? I know when they cross in Chelsea, traffic backs up a lot more than a regular red light. I never timed it, but I'm pretty sure it's longer than 25 seconds.

Well of course it depends on the speed and if theyre about to stop for a station.

But passenger trains shouldnt take more than a minute for a worst cae crossing (long train, stopping for station), and some regular intersections have longer light cycles.

Obviously freight is something else. That can take 5 minutes if you're unlucky.

Oh, Cambridge, I love you.

Proposed commuter rail line riles up Cambridge City Council
By Brian P. Nanos
Wicked Local Cambridge

Cambridge city councilors debated Monday night on the best way to respond to the state?s plans to put a commuter rail on the Grand Junction Rail line.

Some councilors argued that the best course of action would be for the city to advocate for the rail line to stop somewhere in Cambridge.

But others ? most vocally City Councilor Tim Toomey ? argued that advocating for a stop in Cambridge would take away from the city?s main message that the commuter rail shouldn?t run through Cambridge at all.

?I think common sense might say if you want a station in Cambridge you perhaps can?t fight tooth and nail the project itself and then expect the station to be located there,? City Manager Bob Healy told the council.

Toomey argued that the city should speak in one voice in an effort to ?derail? the train project.

?I don?t think we want to do double speak here. We?re either against this or we?re for it,? he said. ?We should not roll over on this issue at all. This is detrimental, period.?

The state has purchased the rights to the Grand Junction Rail line and has begun researching the potential of using it for a commuter rail line that would run from Worcester to North Station.

The line crosses multiple Cambridge streets, including Mass. Ave, and councilors have said that the rush hour train crossings at those locations would be a detriment to the flow of traffic.

Last September, the City Council passed a resolution expressing disappointment that the process in planning the commuter rail had not taken into account the needs or opinions of Cambridge residents. And in October, Toomey made clear that he opposed the project.

Monday night, Vice Mayor Henrietta Davis said that the a train line that stopped in Kendall Square might help to alleviate traffic congestion caused by new businesses that are coming into the area.

But other councilors continued to classify the project as a negative.

Councilor Leland Cheung said, ?It?s only going to prove to be a disruption and not a value added to the city.?

Councilor Craig Kelley added, ?I fail to see what the benefit to Cambridge is.?

And Councilor Sam Seidel said, ?I can?t help but think this is going to be anything but a net negative for the neighborhood.?

However, after talking with people from the state, both Kelley and Cheung said that their impression was that the project was going to go forward with or without the approval of the city.

Kelley said that when the state Department of Transportation says that it wants to ?work with Cambridge? that doesn?t necessarily mean that they would be willing to shut down the project.

?Working with us isn?t asking us if we want trains or not,? he said. ?It?s maybe altering the timing when the gates go down or dealing with the right-of-way vegetation. But it?s not ?Can we come through or can we not come through???

Cheung said that he would prefer a train that stops in Cambridge to one that doesn?t stop, but his best scenario would have no train at all.

?I would love for us to be able to have a say,? he said. ?I?m just looking for somebody to tell me how that would happen.?

Copyright 2011 Cambridge Chronicle. Some rights reserved

They're right, Cambridge doesn't benefit from rail. Anyone want to join me tonight? After the last train I'm taking a pickaxe to the Red Line tracks on the Longfellow and then it's off to Porter to board up the stairs to the commuter rail.

Is comuter rail crossing a street that much different (in terms of disruption) than a cross street getting a green light (and Mass Ave a red)?

Ah, the ever-present myopia of municipal politicians. Even if Cambridge didn't benefit directly from this train (i.e. no station in Cambridge along this line), how about the fact that the region as a whole benefits from having an expansive, regional transit system that makes the region (which, last I checked, is still part of the region) a more attractive place to do business.

Personally, I think with companies like the pharmaceuticals and tech expanding in Kendall Square, a stop should be placed there. But even if not, to say that a few commuter rail round trips is going to cause major traffic disruption is disingenuous as best, and just plain ignorant at worst.

Commuter rail is an awkward fit for the Grand Junction. To my knowledge, no other CR line has grade crossings on such major streets so close into the core. And the honest truth is that heavy rail grade crossings are much more a PITA to cars and pedestrians than a traffic light would be, and also incovenient for the trains themselves.

I think the big opportunity here would be for light rail, which could stop at a traffic light here, and also make stops throughout Cambridge. For example, it would be fairly straightforward to add another branch to the GLX along the Grand Junction (split would be at Twin City Plaza) that serves East Cambridge, Kendall, MIT, Cambridgeport, and perhaps even connects in to the B line on Commonwealth.

In any case, I would argue that especially on this corridor, rapid transit > suburban convenience.

Commuter trains cross one other street at grade in Cambridge, Sherman Street. But the trains don't stop there and therefore don't block the crossing for long periods of loading and unloading passengers.

Commuter trains do at least sometimes block the West Medford grade crossing when stopped there, and this causes major traffic tieups.

If Cambridge can find a way to site a station so that the train doesn't block any crossing while stopped, this could work well.

Sink the Grand Junction so it passes directly under the Red Line under Main St and place the station there. In both directions from there, the grade will increase, it should clear both Mass Ave and Broadway. My guess is it would even clear Binney St even at a constant 2% grade. Cambridge St would be the only grade crossing.

Place a bike path on top of the tunnel = Instant Cambridge approval.

I'm waiting for someone to propose a two level tunnel under the Charles, with submerged storrow upstairs and double CR and blue line below. Take that sucker straight into north station and put glx on the gj instead.

Cambridge St would be the only grade crossing.

Don't forget Gore Street, one block north.

Your proposal is way too expensive for the benefit to be gained. The state likes the Grand Junction because it's already there and requires little infrastructure investment to make it ready for commuter trains.

Just absurd to have a grade crossing on Mass Ave. next to MIT. Bad for pedestrians, drivers, and riders.

True, but the railroad was here before MIT was, and it has always been a freight-only line since it was built.

Does the freight railroad use that crossing today?

Back